Active digitizer on Toshiba Encore 2 WT8-B (Encore 2 Write)

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Giacomo UCDS, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

Could you please test it in Mischief too? I have an N-trig machine and vectoring at the beginning of stroke is much more annoying in Mischief than in both CSP and OneNote. I wonder how new Wacom tech will do.

https://www.madewithmischief.com/

2. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

I downloaded and attempted mischief about 3 weeks ago. The program repeatedly crashed. I've uninstalled it. Sorry.

3. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

They uploaded new version couple a days ago - may be it'll be more stable? It's great program for sketching.

4. NotBatman

NotBatman Pen Pal - Newbie

This guy briefly uses mischief on it, around 14m mark. Don't know if it's of any use but at least it didn't crash:

Allarih likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So it is actually easy to create very light lines with AES? Well that takes care of another weakness of UD: the initial spike in the pressure curve from zero (which makes it difficult to start a stroke at minimum width).

What about the initial activation force? Is the weight of the pen enough to start the stroke? Would you say the initial force falls between UD (~3g) and DTK (~1g). If it as easy as on an Intuos/Cintiq, which would be amazing!

6. Precurve

Cintiq is a little more forgiving on the light end but then quickly breaks into more pressure mid curve. Even adjusting curves I cant get the EMR pens to be as consistent as the AES. It takes more that the weight of the weight of the pen to make a stroke on this AES pen. But that probably could be adjusted out. I wouldn't want it to be that light.

I have a video crunching onto Youtube right now and perhaps it will give you a better sense. FYI: Now that I have the screencast part dialed in the hardest part of these is the upload and processing to Vimeo and Youtube - painful even with a fast connection. I guess Vimeo gets faster with a paid account. If anyone has any tried and true video upload suggestions, please let me know.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    internalaudit likes this.
  7. Precurve

TEST: MS5 Stroke tests
    Using: Toshiba Encore 2 Write WT8PE-B264 8-Inch 64 GB Tablet with Wacom AES Pen (Toshiba's "TruPen")

Please note: When playing this in the youtube window click on the "gear" icon and select 720p in the Quality pop-up menu.

Below is a quick video illustrating the capability of fast lines and smooth strokes within Manga Studio 5 (Same application binary as Clip Paint)

I briefly mention the custom toolbar at the top of my screen. Those are my own customizations specifically for Encore 8 but the awesome tool bar kit, called "Toolbar Creator 2.2" is available at: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/toolbar-creator-v-2-2-beta-available-for-download.63014/ (thanks to @lblb )

This video was done in one take but I did do some overlay edits to highlight various bits. However nothing was edited to make the product appear to be more performant than what you see here.
    Also, keep in mind I had a browser and OneNote open while doing this recording, not to mention the processor overhead for full screen video capture at 25 fps & audio capture with bluetooth headset. The device seems to do multiasking far better than you would expect for 2Gb and Atom.

Back to real work for me. I may try to do another video this weekend but I think it's time to try some kind of real-world art demo and give the purely technical tests a rest.

And here's a capture of my MS5 pressure curves in case that's meaningful to anyone
    ms5pressurecurves.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    aaronfg, Tea and crumpets and Marty like this.
  8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Once again bang up job, Precurve!

With the 2000px brush, how difficult was it to start a ~minimum width line, and hold that width consistently, during a long stroke.

It might be subjective bias, but with Wacom UD, I find the pressure needed to do this varies considerably. I also cannot do it reliably, it seems like the initial activation force hump isn't consistently at 3g, but more like spread between 2g-5g. This is what bothers me most about doing very-light long strokes on Wacom UD.

Also could you share your toolbar config (or just zip your whole folder)? I love your long layout! :vbwink:

9. Precurve

This is my point. The AES feels way more consistent to me at holding the pressure all the way through the curve. Its not perfect but also keep in mind I'm hand holding the Encore in "lean back" mode on most of these demos. So there's some pressure jitter just in the anatomy of how I'm holding it. Like I've said the EMR pens seem to me to be more forgiving right before activation but once they kick in they are harder to control than AES.

Yes. I'd probably do that over in the Toolbar Creator thread and I've see you there. I'm actively hacking on it (this morning I integrated a 3 way single button with your FSCapture - left lasso capture, down OneNote capture, right marquis capture). Its all done in script since I broke the builder interface with all the tweaks. I should clean it up a bit. Its configured explicitly for 1280 wide and my particular shortcut buttons. I don't mind sharing it all but I don't want to support it. I have a 20 button version that still works with the builder but it doesn't span the screen. Remind me again if I don't send it out in a couple days. I actually have some work deadlines that might distract me from my TPCR fun.

10. Precurve

Sorry about the off topic post:

I would like to post and share tablet optimizations, tweaks, accessories and tools/tips/hacks/ and mods/ (not just for Encore). Is there an existing thread for this or do I need to create one?

Software that works (for me, stuff like toolbar creator, classic shell, fences, etc), general accessories . But the theme has to be around tweaking and optimizing the tablet experience. NOT about any particular model of tablet.

Suggestions on where I can post this sort of thing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.