Acer W500 Tablet Cover removal to upgrade ssd.

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by beasy, May 20, 2011.

1. beasy

beasy Pen Pal - Newbie

Bad news is that according to most people, the ram is soldered on to the motherboard. It would of been nice to upgrade the ram but for the most part, it seems like for most media tasks, like playing videos, etc. it usually only utilizes 50% of your ram if that. 2GB is really enough for a tablet like this.

You can still upgrade the hard drive however. I'm interested in finding an 80gb msata ssd drive. Here is a video I found on youtube on how to open up the w500 which is probably the same for the a500.

YouTube - ‪how to open back cover acer w500‬‏

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Intel 310, Renice etc do mSata drives. I actually have the old 64Gb Asus EP121 drive sitting there spare.

Thank you for the vid

3. papi

papi Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone tried upgrading the SSD?

4. Wiz33

Wiz33 Scribbler - Standard Member

I thought about popping in a 80GB but finally decided that it's more cost effective just to dump in a 64GB SDXC card for more net gain at a lesser cost.

5. BOB421C4

BOB421C4 Pen Pal - Newbie

This is likely a dumb question, but I cannot, for the life of me, figure it out.

If a person were to replace the msata SSD in the Acer Iconia W500, or in any other Tablet PC without a disc drive, how would that person install Windows on the new msata ssd?

Is that person's copy of Windows stored on some sort of special partition of flash memory within the Tablet PC that the owner can access with the correct Windows product key?

How does a person go about formatting and re-installing Windows on a disc drive-less Tablet PC?

These are a few questions that I hope to have answered because I am back to thinking that it may be best to install an 80gb or larger msata ssd in the Acer Iconia W500 for the greater speed and performance over a 64gb SDXC card. (Wiz33 knows about this.)

Thanks,

---> BOB421C4

6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Option 1: Restore using the recovery dvds
    Option 2: Get a caddy and image the existing install onto the new hard drive, exchange hard drives
    Option 3: Clean install (Someone can probably point you towards the famous clean install post)
    Option 4: Stick an image onto the new hard drive but that can get complicated

Some computers do have hidden partitions that contain the needed recovery files, some don't

7. Syberia

Syberia Pen Pal - Newbie

It's a simple process to copy the Windows 7 install DVD to a flash drive if you want to clean install. I recommend using something like ABR to back up your Windows activation and restore it to the new copy, though.

8. gerardov

gerardov Pen Pal - Newbie

I have upgraeed the SSD of the W500 with the 64GB SSD from my EP121, which I upgraded to a 128GB drive.
    Removing the case takes some patience... I used a youtube video as a reference and then did it, once I passed from the first corner hinges, everything went smoothly...

9. Marid Audran

Marid Audran darrenwbaker

I had upgraded the SSD of my ASUS EP121 with a 128GB mSata, and I just put the original 64GB SSD from the ASUS in my ACER W500. It worked and installed quickly. Now I am thinking about getting another 128GB for the W500.

10. Tester13

Tester13 Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the increased SSD size have any effect on the battery usage or is it too small to be an issue?

Thanks