Acer W500 Tablet Cover removal to upgrade ssd.

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by beasy, May 20, 2011.

1. beasy

beasy Pen Pal - Newbie

Bad news is that according to most people, the ram is soldered on to the motherboard. It would of been nice to upgrade the ram but for the most part, it seems like for most media tasks, like playing videos, etc. it usually only utilizes 50% of your ram if that. 2GB is really enough for a tablet like this.

You can still upgrade the hard drive however. I'm interested in finding an 80gb msata ssd drive. Here is a video I found on youtube on how to open up the w500 which is probably the same for the a500.

YouTube - ‪how to open back cover acer w500‬‏

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Intel 310, Renice etc do mSata drives. I actually have the old 64Gb Asus EP121 drive sitting there spare.

Thank you for the vid

3. papi

papi Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone tried upgrading the SSD?

4. Wiz33

Wiz33 Scribbler - Standard Member

I thought about popping in a 80GB but finally decided that it's more cost effective just to dump in a 64GB SDXC card for more net gain at a lesser cost.

5. BOB421C4

BOB421C4 Pen Pal - Newbie

This is likely a dumb question, but I cannot, for the life of me, figure it out.

If a person were to replace the msata SSD in the Acer Iconia W500, or in any other Tablet PC without a disc drive, how would that person install Windows on the new msata ssd?

Is that person's copy of Windows stored on some sort of special partition of flash memory within the Tablet PC that the owner can access with the correct Windows product key?

How does a person go about formatting and re-installing Windows on a disc drive-less Tablet PC?

These are a few questions that I hope to have answered because I am back to thinking that it may be best to install an 80gb or larger msata ssd in the Acer Iconia W500 for the greater speed and performance over a 64gb SDXC card. (Wiz33 knows about this.)

Thanks,

---> BOB421C4

6. excalibur1814

Option 1: Restore using the recovery dvds
    Option 2: Get a caddy and image the existing install onto the new hard drive, exchange hard drives
    Option 3: Clean install (Someone can probably point you towards the famous clean install post)
    Option 4: Stick an image onto the new hard drive but that can get complicated

Some computers do have hidden partitions that contain the needed recovery files, some don't

7. Syberia

Syberia Pen Pal - Newbie

It's a simple process to copy the Windows 7 install DVD to a flash drive if you want to clean install. I recommend using something like ABR to back up your Windows activation and restore it to the new copy, though.

8. gerardov

gerardov Pen Pal - Newbie

I have upgraeed the SSD of the W500 with the 64GB SSD from my EP121, which I upgraded to a 128GB drive.
    Removing the case takes some patience... I used a youtube video as a reference and then did it, once I passed from the first corner hinges, everything went smoothly...

9. Marid Audran

Marid Audran darrenwbaker

I had upgraded the SSD of my ASUS EP121 with a 128GB mSata, and I just put the original 64GB SSD from the ASUS in my ACER W500. It worked and installed quickly. Now I am thinking about getting another 128GB for the W500.

10. Tester13

Tester13 Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the increased SSD size have any effect on the battery usage or is it too small to be an issue?

Thanks

11. excalibur1814

12. Wiz33

Wiz33 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep, saw that. Maybe go for the 3GB/s in a few months. I think the 6 will be a bit of an overkill.

13. dtwalkerfl

dtwalkerfl Pen Pal - Newbie

I replaced my SSD with a MyDigitalSSD 128GB mSATA. Used a Renice mSATA II SSD adapter and a Slim Box 2.0 External encolsure to clone the drive. Worked fantastic with freeware cloning software.

14. GreGGer96

GreGGer96 Pen Pal - Newbie

MyDigitalSSD mSATA SSD is a pile of spam crap

15. dtwalkerfl

dtwalkerfl Pen Pal - Newbie

Not when you reformat it while cloning your old drive on it.

16. DaffyOnLSD

DaffyOnLSD Pen Pal - Newbie

nice.......

17. Guaymas Jim

Guaymas Jim Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone attempting this upgrade should read and reread this guide:

Tweaking4All SSD upgrade for your Acer Iconia Tab W500,

watch and rewatch:

how to open back cover acer w500 - YouTube

and have both available during the process.

It is especially important not to attempt to remove the back cover until you have released ALL FOUR SIDES & CORNERS! Also be careful not to push your “pry tools” too far into the case especially when beginning near the SD card slot--don't stick your pry tool into the SD card slot! Take your time and you can do this with no cosmetic and/or functional damage. I used several plastic guitar picks to hold the sides open as I worked my way around the case.

It is my personal preference to use the resources built into Windows 7 instead of third party software, so I used Windows 7 backup to create a system image of both the original C: partition and the Reserved partition which were written to an external USB HDD. The only user input required is the where the image is stored. I then physically replaced the 32GB SSD (using the guide) with a MyDigitalSSD 128GB 50mm mSATA MDMS-50128 Solid State Drive (eBay: $179.99 from vender “outlet_4_ssd” + 2.99 shipping). I then booted the tablet to a USB Windows 7 installation stick. Once the files were loaded I clicked on “Repair Your Computer” (as opposed to Install). I then chose restore with system image created earlier. The tablet searched for and found the 32GB image and restored it in about 22 minutes. I then shut down the tablet, disconnected both USB devices and rebooted. Upon reboot I had a 32GB partition and a Reserved partition on the 128GB SSD. I used Windows 7 Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management(local) Right click on Drive C: to expand/extend the partition using all of the unallocated disk space. I then rebooted and uninstalled all of the bloatware (getting rid of the Office 10 trial was extremely difficult!)and installed my normal suite of programs as well as transferred 27GB of mp3 music+11GB photos/videos. When I had everything the way wanted it, I created a new system image to another USB external HHD. My tablet is a W500 with Home Premium, so I then upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate for the multiple language capability. The Win7 Ultimate upgrade succeeded without a burp. So, I once again made a Win 7 Ultimate system image. (I know I'm a bit anal retentive when it comes to backups but they have saved my butt many times over the years and 2 TB externals are only about $100.)

The WEI “Disk Data Transfer Rate” jumped from 5.9 to 7.1 which is just a little less than 3x the processor rating of 2.7! In my opinion, this upgrade is absolutely worth the time, effort, and expense!
    Unfortunately, the RAM is hardwired and cannot be upgraded. I travel a great deal and have a dash mount for tablet custom made from a replacement W500 keyboard/dock.

Even when running Vonage Companion, Dragon Naturally Speaking 11.5 (DNS), MS Streets and Trips w/GPS, MS Messenger, Live Mail, FireFox, Rocket Dock, Windows Media player (via Bluetooth to car audio), Front/Rear view cameras simultaneously, RAM usage seldom exceeds 50% with some higher usage spikes with DNS. DNS voice commands (I have spent a fair amount of time customizing the DNS voice commands over the years!!!) are instant while "speech to text" is only a bit (no pun intended) slower than my mega-powered but now dusty desktop. I use a 3G USB modem connected to a Wilson signal booster connected to a detachable 29″ 3G antenna on the roof. When my family travels with me, I use a program called Connectify 3 to make the table a hotspot in the car so the iPads can connect

I have seen no appreciable increase in battery consumption. I should report that I am usually connected to 110v even in the car via and 800w invertor, so I do not pay alot of attention to battery consumption.

My goal was to have a full functioning computer that was as "handsfree" as I could make it. With "touch" and DNS 11.5 I believe I have done it. This tablet serves my purposes almost perfectly. It runs circles around my son's iPad2 and my wife's Android tablet! As a matter of fact, I am facing a lot of pressure to replicate my tablet for each of them. You know the drill: iPod> iPhone> iPad> iPaid and paid and paid!

My only complaint is the small size of the text/icons etc at 1280x800 and changing sizes either through lower resolution or increased dpi seems hurt rather than help. The "Acer Ring" while a great ideal is really worthless without the ability to add and subtract programs. I shut off desktip icons use Rocket Dock as a replacement. I am reasonably satisfied until I find something better.

My tablet came with a AMD C-50 and I am investigating upgrading to a AMD C-60. They seem to be a little hard to find, but I think I have a line on one.

This got too long, so if anyone has any questions for me please respond. I'll happily share what ever I have learned about this tablet

18. MDavisUSF

MDavisUSF Pen Pal - Newbie

19. oldpueblo

oldpueblo Pen Pal - Newbie

No it needs to be mSATA.

Edited out my incorrect info.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  20. EmailGuy

EmailGuy Pen Pal - Newbie

That drive will NOT work in the W500. It needs to be mSata, not Micro SATA.

This is actually the correct drive for the W500

Amazon.com: MyDigitalSSD 128GB BP3 Bullet Proof 3 mSATA III (6G) SSD Solid State Drive - MDMS-BP3-128: Computers & Accessories

A 128 GB mSata 6 Gbps drive for $159 and free shipping is actually a pretty good deal!