Acer TravelMate C314 Tablet PC - First Look (pics, specs)

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Barry J. Doyle, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Acer TravelMate C314 Tablet PC - First Look

[​IMG]
    The chrome and black color combomakes fora bold appearance for the C314.

[​IMG]
    Acer C314 on top the Toshiba Tecra M4 -Both models share asimilar size class.

In this first look, we aim to provide an overview of the Acer C314 Tablet PC Convertible, its features and performance capabilities. With its powerful 2.0GHz Sonoma-based Pentium M, 1GB of RAM and generous 100GB hard drive, the C314 essentially packs a heck of a punch in the power category. What makes this model especially desireable though is the features vs. pricetag balance.

Of honorable mention:

1. Although not the top of the line, the NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200 dedicated/shared (PCIe) offers respectable performance - well above a standard Intel GMA900 solution (fully integrated). Yes, you can run Doom 3 on this machine with very playable framerates. Games such as Half Life 2 and Far Cry will fly.

2. The unique curvykeyboard is a nice touch both ergonomically and aesthetically.

Don't want to mention it:

1. Some of the exterior elements (such as the power switch and plastic casing) feel less "solid" than we would like.

C314 Tablet PC Specs (our review model):

Product Description Acer TravelMate C314XMi - Pentium M 760 2 GHz - 14.1" TFT
    Dimensions (WxDxH) 12.8 in x 10.7 in x 1.4 in
    Weight 6.2 lbs
    Localization English
    Mobile Technology Intel Centrino
    System Type Tablet PC - convertible
    Built-in Devices Stereo speakers, wireless LAN antenna, Bluetooth antenna
    Processor Intel Pentium M 760 2 GHz
    Cache Memory 2 MB - L2 cache
    RAM 1 GB (installed) / 2 GB (max) - DDR SDRAM ( 2 x 512 MB )
    Card Reader 4 in 1
    Hard Drive 100 GB
    Optical Storage DVD RW - plug-in module
    Display 14.1" TFT active matrix XGA (1024 x 768) - 24-bit (16.7 million colors)
    Graphics Controller NVidia GeForce Go 6200 - 32 MB
    Audio Output Sound card
    Telecom Fax / modem - 56 Kbps
    Networking Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
    Input Device Keyboard, digitizer, touchpad, 4-way scroll button, digital pen
    Power AC 110/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
    Battery Lithium ion
    Run Time (Up To) 5.5 hour(s)
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
    Manufacturer Warranty 1 year warranty

C314 Design and Build Quality

[​IMG]
    front: lock latch, speakers and pen (top left corner).

[​IMG]
    top view

[​IMG]
    right side: kensington lock, power switch, heat vent, optical drive

[​IMG]
    left side: multi-card reader, USB port, IR port, PCMCIA slot

[​IMG]
    rear: mic jack, headphone jack, (covered ports: LAN, modem, VGA), S-Video,
    2 USB ports, AC in

[​IMG]
    underside: HD access, RAM access (to the right), BT radio/mini pci, battery.

[​IMG]
    The 14.1"C314 display is bright and clear.

The 6 Pounder Weight Class:

The Acer C314 isin the same weight and power class as the ToshibaTecra M4. This class is perfect for users who are looking for a notebook/tablet/desktop replacement combination.

The C314 is the most powerful Tablet PC we have seen so far, featuring the 2.0Ghz Pentium M (Sonoma) CPU. Although the NVIDIA Go 6200 GPU has a relatively minute 32MB of dedicated video RAM, it is designed to borrow up to 96MB of system RAM as needed. Speedy performance is offered as RAM is shared via the new PCI Express interface. This chip is a good compromise between value, power consumption and performance. Truthfully, the Go 6200 is no slouch and will please mostany user (with the exception of the heavy gamer).

Our full review of the Acer TravelMate C314 Tablet PC will be posted around the third week of July. In the meantime, we hope this "First Look" provides abasicidea of what the Acer C314 offers in looks, features and performance.

[​IMG]

Barry

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Andrew

Andrew Just a Guy Staff Member

thanks for this first take Barry, I'd be interested to know if the build feels as solid as the X41 Tablet, i.e. is the lid somewhat flimsy on this, how is the hinge and is there any flex to the keyboard? I've seen similar Acer products in this class that are non-tablet and I was a little disappointed with the build relative to other notebooks. You know me, I think specs are great and all, but I'm more interested in usability with the keyboard and overall build + screen.

Nice pics :D

3. Ant6n

Ant6n Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the most interesting comparison is, of course, with the m4...

4. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just don't know about Acer's smile keyboard. I'm not sure I could get used to that very quickly.

5. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Everybody has interesting questions and points. In regards to the size and performance class, the Acer C314 has a lot in common with the Tecra M4. But if you want to have a build quality to reference, the IBM is a good choice, since it is so well-built. So here it goes the build quality of the Acer compared to the IMB ThinkPad:

1. Case: IBM is magnesium composite, Acer is a silver plastic with some flex.

2. Keyboard: Solid on both the IBM and Acer. The curve on the Acer might be hard to get used to for some users, (possibly Brian)!

3. Hardware switches, buttons, etc.: IBM Very solid, Acer, a bit lacking in this department.

4. Power/performance: IBM (think skinny, lanky weakling) - Acer (Think Arnold Schwarzenegger) when he was 30!

There are trade-offs for both models, it really matters what the user seeks in a Tablet.

6. dblank

dblank Pen Pal - Newbie

I think a comparison of the build quality with the M4 would be nice since they are basically competing in the same market though the M4 seems more powerful with the choice of a dedicated 128 Meg Go 6600 rather than the 32 Megs offered by Acer. But how the heck did they get 5+ hours of battery time? The M4 specs max it out at about 3... and I'm sure that was with the 64 meg Go 6200.

7. Ant6n

Ant6n Pen Pal - Newbie

Well the Acer's 32 MB are probably not just 32 MB, but rather "128 MB" - its a dedicated/shared hybrid as I can see it

check that one out
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050208/index.html

Of course Toms Hardware is here talking about Desktop Graphics, which they also have higher demands for, so I am not quite sure of the difference it makes for mobile devices - possibly more battery time and less heat?

Anyhoo, if the 6200 with 128 MB is 50% faster than the 6200 "32/128", then it might be interesting to see the difference between the 6600 go 128 and the 6200 32 /w turbocache...

8. charlener

charlener Pen Pal - Newbie

Ugh, isn't this the main difference between the M4 and Acer? It's the dealbreaker for me. With that screeen size, I definitlely prefer the higher resolution of the M4...

9. Ant6n

Ant6n Pen Pal - Newbie

On the other hand the battery life of the Acer is probably higher.
    It also looks nicer, and maybe its more sturdy, or more ergonomicly perfect (or somethin').
    Maybe its performance is similar with its 2.00 GHz @ 1800 $ as the M4 with 1.600 GHz @ 1800 $.

The Screen is a very good argument for the M4, though.

10. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would aregue that you really don't need the 2.0 processor in the Acer and it may even be a waste of money. The M4 is performing very well, no neither will be a slouch. Barry will have benchmarks for all of them in his reviews.