Acer Switch 7

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dstrauss, Aug 30, 2017.

1. sitoudien

sitoudien Pen Pal - Newbie

CES 2019 is around the corner. Do you think Acer will update the 7. Acer has no confidence in this product. Should have been a surface killer. I really wanted one. But the battery and extreme price killed it.

CreateNowSleepLater likes this.
  2. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

I dont know, I mean they just got this model out. It's not like its under spec'd really. Just overpriced.

3. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund Pen Pal - Newbie

This concept had so much potential. But ultimately, it seems to have failed because of many little missteps. Why make it passive cooled in the first place? Why the asymmetrical design? It's pretty heavy and battery life sucks.
    There is also no TB3 and no LTE version of it to make it the ultimate computer, both indoors and outdoors.

I fully believe the vision Acer had is the future of computing, but it needs to be better executed. Of course, adding a dGPU in a tablet it not an easy task. But this is the first step into something much better. I mean, a tablet that has the power to do more than light stuff and is actually capable of heavy video editing, photo editing and gaming is definately something I would be every excited for, especially in that form factor with that portability. Those weak Intel iGPUs with less power than a 12 year old Nvidia 8800GT won't cut it anymore. And even Ice Lake won't change that, even though those are more powerful, still way less powerful than the dGPU in my 4 year old laptop.

Maybe we can get something better by the end of 2019 with Intel Ice Lake CPUs and a RTX 2050. This time active cooled, because there's no sense in passive cooling such enormous hardware in a tablet. If the fans are quiet when doing office stuff and browsing, its just as good.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  4. sitoudien

sitoudien Pen Pal - Newbie

Let's hope acer doesn't abandon the switch 7. Agree with the above. Improvements like battery, lighter, smaller bezels. If apple can do it, then Acer can as well. Hope there's an announcement soon because I'm ready to move on.

5. Elmstrom

Elmstrom Pen Pal - Newbie

6. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like they got the battery life issues figured out. Other than the weight and large bezels, actually sounds like a pretty decent device.

7. CribCoe

CribCoe Pen Pal - Newbie

Heya, new here, but I bought this from Box.co.uk, since there's a price slash making the tablet £999, which is a steal.

Nothing new to report, the battery is terrible, I get something between 1:30-4 hours depending on what I'm doing; Computer at idle: 4 hours, 2-3 hours in Animate CC and sketchbook, drawing in Photoshop about an hour or two, anything in After Effects and I can wave goodbye to battery in under an hour in some circumstances. I've underclocked the CPU, iGPU and dGPU to try and squeeze more juice out of it, but all I've done is actually lowered the temps of the device, which is great as the CPU finally runs at full clock speed. It appears to kinda peak out at about 60-ish deg C mark, which when you get this (IF you buy this), you'll find that pre-windows update/index it runs hot into 60s and 70s. Just put a fan in it, guys, it would've been totally fine! Be sure to update though immediately as it does means you have 3-4 battery life instead of just 1-2 hours with the base install!

And whilst the pen tech is outstanding, the drawing is on a par with my Cintiq (yay), the pen is wonky. The pen is uncomfortably small, making it difficult to hit the button, which is in an unnatural position. Not like it matters, that button doesn't work in anything! Further more, there's no pen drivers nor any ability to install a driver (Wacom Feel drivers is a nope) to adjust pressure or what the button does. So short of upgrading to a new pen (I read the S-Pen works flawlessly and buttons work) you kinda get stuck with no control of it.

And the stand on this device is infuriating in two ways: getting it to pop open means you have to hold it awkwardly to pop the buttons, and the weight of this device means that bar on the stand cuts into your legs worse so than a Surface did.

I read there's some launch event in April, so I hope to return this and hope they make an improvement or figure out how to redo this as I love the size and spec, but the execution is so shoddy. Before I pop it back, any Qs, or benchmarks or anything anyone would like to see or naw?

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@CribCoe : Acer had a (seemingly) good idea way back when, but by delaying Switch 7 availability by over a year, they allowed technology and other OEMs to lap them. And then, of course, there are those pesky design issues that you mention.

If you decide to keep your Switch 7 after the April announcements, you might consider an external battery to give yourself more operating time. There are several excellent devices currently on the market. I happen to use OmniCharge, but there are other good brands as well:

https://www.omnicharge.co/products/omni-20-usb-c/
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/omni-mobile-series#/

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Or, he can keep the Acer Switch 7 for a couple of years until the successor announced on April 11 is available for sale...:rolleyes:

10. Tablet Nostradamus

Tablet Nostradamus Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this unicorn tablet! I actually had this a while back but returned it for the same reasons, but wish I had done more extensive testing. How's tilt support (you can try using the pencil in MS Sketchpad)? Also, does pressure sensitivity in Animate CC work without special drivers, or does it use Windows Ink by default now? Thanks again.