Acer Switch 7

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dstrauss, Aug 30, 2017.

1. NeedsLoomis

NeedsLoomis Pen Pal - Newbie

Second post, since I got carried away on the last one.

I'll have to take it outside and snap some pics! To get full brightness, you'll have to put it on full performance mode, and wreck your limited battery life, but you should be able to squeeze an hour or two in.

Ok, so I took the advice and managed to force install a feel driver. It shows as a wacom HID device now, and works, but still has the same issues (windows doesn't show any new options, and the actual software says incompatible device). I didnt modify the .inf, which might be the issue with the second part. Beyond art stuff and clumsily using device manager, Im not the most tech savy.

I did discover one other thing, even without the feel driver, I can get the pen button working in most apps if I rebind it in the popular RadialMenu software. So the OS is getting input...its just not bound to anything??? Is there a registry entry or config file for the "Use pen button as right click equivalent" control panel option? Im curious if manually adding it will fix the issue...

I really wish I could find anyone else with the device that could check their button :(

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Marty likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Wow, tough pre-holiday crowd here. I may have found it

444 DAYS AGO

but that was then and this is WAY LATE NOW. If I can't make a go with the Windows Pad (aka Surface Go LTE) I will just wait for the HP Spectre Folio 4k UHD.;)

jbaks likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

While browsing around, I stumbled upon the registry keys set by the "Pen & Touch" control applet:

[​IMG]

The one that controls right-click button functionality is:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Wisp\Pen\SysEventParameters]
    "RightMaskEnable"=dword:00000001

Another thing you may want to check is if hardware buttons are not disabled in Group Policy manager, under both "Computer Config: and "User Config":

[​IMG]

thatcomicsguy and carnageX12 like this.
  4. NeedsLoomis

Got everything in order in the registry and group policy settings, no dice :(

Also got my Zbook x2 pen in. Works great, but the barrel button also doesn't work without third party software.

5. Marty

That sucks, maybe try doing a fresh install? It could be something related to one if the pre-configured Acer services.

One small question, does the back cover have any screws or panels that could be removable for access to the SSD?

6. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

Their should be a mandatory addition to the number of days for bad behavior since Acer kept us in the dark for way to long.

7. NeedsLoomis

Did a refresh, no dice. Im not sure how to go about doing a full format to kill all acer factory config, while keeping my license.

Nope, and the seams are tight. Not sure how/if the thing could be taken apart.

Marty likes this.
  8. Marty

For Win10 licenses, MS keeps your license (tied to motherboard hardware ID) on their server, so after a fresh install, it will activate automatically.

It's probably similar to the Switch Alpha 12, starting at the screen seam and work your way around.

A darn shame they didn't make it easier. That would be one of the major draws for power users currently looking at the SP6 and newer competition.

By the did you ever get around to outdoor daylight viewability in indirect sunlight? Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  9. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

Late to the party here, I forgot about this device. Have you tried the full Cintiq or Intuos driver?

10. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

Also, What kind of USB ports are on here?

Any known way to replace nibs?