Acer Switch 7

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dstrauss, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

While browsing around, I stumbled upon the registry keys set by the "Pen & Touch" control applet:

[​IMG]

The one that controls right-click button functionality is:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Wisp\Pen\SysEventParameters]
    "RightMaskEnable"=dword:00000001

Another thing you may want to check is if hardware buttons are not disabled in Group Policy manager, under both "Computer Config: and "User Config":

[​IMG]

thatcomicsguy and carnageX12 like this.
  2. NeedsLoomis

NeedsLoomis Pen Pal - Newbie

Got everything in order in the registry and group policy settings, no dice :(

Also got my Zbook x2 pen in. Works great, but the barrel button also doesn't work without third party software.

3. Marty

That sucks, maybe try doing a fresh install? It could be something related to one if the pre-configured Acer services.

One small question, does the back cover have any screws or panels that could be removable for access to the SSD?

4. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

Their should be a mandatory addition to the number of days for bad behavior since Acer kept us in the dark for way to long.

5. NeedsLoomis

Did a refresh, no dice. Im not sure how to go about doing a full format to kill all acer factory config, while keeping my license.

Nope, and the seams are tight. Not sure how/if the thing could be taken apart.

Marty likes this.
  6. Marty

For Win10 licenses, MS keeps your license (tied to motherboard hardware ID) on their server, so after a fresh install, it will activate automatically.

It's probably similar to the Switch Alpha 12, starting at the screen seam and work your way around.

A darn shame they didn't make it easier. That would be one of the major draws for power users currently looking at the SP6 and newer competition.

By the did you ever get around to outdoor daylight viewability in indirect sunlight? Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  7. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

Late to the party here, I forgot about this device. Have you tried the full Cintiq or Intuos driver?

8. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

Also, What kind of USB ports are on here?

Any known way to replace nibs?

9. NeedsLoomis

Yeap, none of the Wacom drivers help much. Even after force installing, the software states the device is not found.
    I did find a repository for AutoHotKey that detects input from HID devices, and managed to get a script working that converts barrel button clicks to whatever you want though. It's not as good as full control over advanced features like pressure curves and stuff, but its something. I'll post that later.

Two ports; one thunderbolt and one 3.1 type A. This thing does have a dedicated graphics card, and unfortunately in almost all cases, laptops with those run 2 lane thunderbolt instead of four, but I haven't been able to test it.

It comes with a few replacement nibs, and they appear to follow the s-pen standard, though I'd have to check. I recommend buying a larger stylus if you do hard work, as the one that comes with it is spen sized. Im using the Zbook x2 pen.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  10. NeedsLoomis

Thanks for the info, based on this I fully reformatted, and installed windows from an official MS ISO, and still no luck. :(

IMG_20181129_132433.jpg

So here she is on a somewhat cloudy day, around 1:30pm, in battery performance mode. I found it to be pretty usable in these conditions...BUT the screen being a strong glossy glass, the reflections were brutal at the wrong angle, and it wasn't bright enough to overcome hard glare.

IMG_20181129_132503.jpg

It was better to the human eye IRL (doesnt help that my phone was focusing on the glare), but I wouldn't want to do work in those conditions.

So yes to shady outdoor seat, maybe at a coffee shop, especially if you can boost the brightness with a plug or perhaps in the evening or morning. I'd say a hard no to sunny open areas, like a park bench.

dellaster and Marty like this.