Acer Switch 7

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dstrauss, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Guys, not every device is centered on the US market. Just because Acer is not focusing Stateside for this particular release, doesn't mean that it is somehow "abandonware" or "EOL"...

Acer has a much stronger marketing presence in Southeast Asia (Singapore, Malaysia, HK and of course, Taiwan). Case in point, Acer Malaysia just held its annual "Acer Day" in August, where they proudly showed off the AS7:

Every spec was discussed and in my opinion, they are rightly proud of their technical achievement.

So let's expand our awareness to a global perspective before railing on a particular company or device.

efjay, jbaks and thierryb like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Marty - maybe we just aren't the target market then. As a serial returner, the lack of demo units and high cost of returns to Acer (most sellers want 15% or more in restocking fees) makes this a gamble, much less the fact that it is larger (L x W) than the Surface Book clipboard and nearly as heavy as my SB2 with the Acer keyboard attached.

I'm not railing on it for not being in the states, it's more a healthy skepticism of a device that took 14 months to go from announcement to release that has me concerned.

3. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice video. A baby Switch, 8", and I would buy it.
    Can someone here have tried it and tell us if the pen is as good as the spen ?

4. Marty

Again, you're too narrowly focused on the US market. It was announced in Berlin IFA 2017 (Aug-Sept), and became first available in Singapore in March, then slow rollout to the rest of SEA and Europe, and finally to NA in mid-September. (12.5 months total)

So it's not the dire picture you paint, just a cautious global release that started in SEA and expanded West, rather than the typical viceversa.

Huh, isn't this is available through Amazon (Prime) via OEM sale by Acer for MSRP $1799, with typical excellent Amazon return policy?

I envy the ease at which you guys can try this, whereas us in the frozen North need to pay import duty and deal with cross-border returns... :p

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  5. dstrauss

Marty:
    • This has not been a "slow rollout" its been water torture - maybe I am too parochial in my view, but that's what I see from this seat
    • You open the box and you lose 15% at Amazon - I have been told directly by support that unless it fails to start or is unopened, condition 2 applies:
    Amazon policy:
    • New desktop, laptops, or tablets (excluding Kindle E-readers and Fires) purchased from Amazon.com that didn't start when they arrived, arrived in damaged condition, or is still in an unopened box can be returned for a full refund within 30 days of purchase.
    • Amazon.com may test computers that are returned because they didn't start when they arrived and impose a customer fee equal to 15 percent of the product sales price if the customer misrepresents the condition of the product.
    • Any returned desktop, laptop or tablet that is damaged through customer misuse, is missing parts, or is in unsellable condition due to customer tampering may result in the customer being charged a higher restocking fee based on the condition of the product.
    • New, used, and refurbished products purchased from Marketplace vendors are subject to the returns policy of the individual vendor.

6. Marty

Isn't this only if they find you misrepresented the item? As long is it's fulfilled by Amazon, and a legitimate device issue, standard 30-day returns apply.

In my experience, that Amazon agent who told you it's a flat 15% on all opened computers is wrong. I've returned a fully opened VivoTab Note 8 cross-border (because of a booting issue), and got full refund no questions asked.

But if you really want to avoid Amazon, you could try one of the Acer authorized vendors, like MicroCenter that offers a full 30 day refunds (and even physical locations if you happen to be near one).

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Marty is right, but that's a legitimate defect that that could verify - though I doubt they test very often. @dstrauss is quoting the policy correctly, though I've been told...

I have never, ever done this and have no idea if there's a chance in a million (well, safer to say around 5 or 6 over 2-year period ;)) if it works, but a birdie near and dear to me told me that if you report the Bluetooth or wifi to intermittently weaken or shut off they will take your return and refund 100% of the price. Of course, it must be true that you perceive a weakening or drop-off of the radios intermittently (as I have for nearly every device I have owned; darn mfrs just can't seem to perfect RF technologies, especially in houses with walls and such!) because no vendor could prove by testing at their warehouse how the device performs at yours.

I did receive a couple of nasty grams from Amazon for returns a while back but the catalyst was not the half dozen or so Bluetooth problems but the fact that it took Five shipments of MS SBs from Marketplace (fulfilled by AMZN) to get one that had the ordered configuration (twice), was not used, did not have an expired wtty, though new in box.

Explanation accepted, still in good standing, still keeping all tech devices I buy on AMZN unless their darn wifi or Bluetooth is wonky or, for that matter, if active pen is sometimes jittery, suffers parallax, etc. I'm sure this approach has limits, but being a customer who buys and keeps far more than returns seems to help ;)

8. dstrauss

Amazon took it back for the booting issue - had it been fully functional you get stuck (and I have). I guess I'm just not interested enough in the Acer to give it a shot anymore. Right now it's "Go Small or Go Home" for this geek...if the monitors don't light up, it's on to the HP Spectre Folio 4k I think.

Is that counter-intuitive - OF COURSE :confused:o_O

9. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

This forum is always so dead and slow for posts, we havent heard anything new about this device since we discovered this was even being sold in the states.

What happened to are review slave? He/she was doing a good job until the posts stopped.

But Acer is notorious for doing this. They are in every electronics store you can think of. To them their products are not ment for niche people looking to buy on some tablet forum, their thinking big picture. The masses at big box retailers across the world.

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I wouldn't go near the Switch 7 with a 1000 ft pole, but do note the very reliable method to return gear to Amazon, above.