Acer Switch 7

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dstrauss, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

German thoroughness?

2. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

Had lost my faith in tablet PCs and this has restored it somewhat, as this machine ticks so many boxes. I wonder when the Australian release will be...

Thing is, Microsoft's UWP strategy hasn't really panned out. The Adobe CC apps that most of us rely on are still not much fun to use on tablets: no proper tablet mode as such.

Recently switched from Cintiq Companion 2 to iPad Pro and it's just a lot more inspiring to use. Affinity Photo and Procreate are so much more fun to use on a tablet than Photoshop CC. Pencil feels just as good as Pro Pen IMHO.

Still, I look forward to watching artist reviews of this new Acer beastie.

What kind of battery life are we predicting? Maybe five hours max?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    artistebot likes this.
  3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I’d say the opposite, provided you take the time to organize the interface and the tools you need to suite a touch centric keyboardless workflow.
    Been doing that since the first cintiq companion and I have to thank Procreate to show me the right way to work with a tablet.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow, I never thought I'd see anti-EMR people on here.

Perhaps we should get the bonfire started...?

Bronsky likes this.
  5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I think the critique of the device is sort of absurd, given the demands people want. Sheesh! What's really obvious is that people love EMR and want it, but *clearly* not above much else. Is the device too big or too small? Never mind. Not the right ports? Never mind. Not the right resolution? Nevermind. Not the right GPU? Nevermind. Etc. People are willing to sacrifice all sorts of stuff pen-wise, even on these forums, if the devices meet other standards and needs.... as long as the pen is "good enough." I used to be surprised by that, but I'm not anymore. It's just the truth.

I fall into the same category, I suppose, as I've long since learned that what I really need is a laptop that I occassionally use for pen input. Therefore the laptop needs far outweigh the pen needs. Which is why I'm still using my Thinkpad 14 with AES. EMR is better, but I guess that AES is good enough. My issue is that I really want a super portable tablet for note taking with EMR, but there are no good sub-10" EMR Windows tablets out there.

What does surprise me is that no one has been talking about these new 15" and 17" Dell Inspririons with pen that's coming out.
    https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/28/dell-inspiron-17-inch-2-in-1/

It's not EMR, but it's the Dell Active Pen (presumably like the MS Ntrig pen??) that doesn't really seem to matter to folks anyways. :p

6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd give my interest in Hell for a replacement for my Asus Vivotab Note 8 --- I suppose Samsung expects me to just shell out for a Galaxy Note 8, and I'll admit I've been tempted, but I just can't bring myself to commit to a monthly cell phone bill. Really wish Samsung would do a version sans cell phone chip (but keeping GPS).

Until then, I'll just have to continue w/ my GB12 as my main device (the Toshiba has been relegated to software testing and controlling CNC machines in the basement).

7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The UHD 100% Adobe RGB display looks good, but other than that it's more of the same. 17.3" model doesn't appear to have a pen.

8. Sergei

Sergei Digital Artist

Well I think my heart is still set on the Notebook 9 Pro, but it's great to have EMR choices! And they quote a euro price so this will probably be available for me to buy directly; that could swing it yet. (Though €1,999 - ouch!)

I guess it will come down to the details of the pen in use.I8

I bought a Galaxy Note (1) because I thought it would be good to have a pen on my phone. I liked it so much that now a Note 4 is my main drawing book. It's so much more responsive and natural - in S Note at least - that I can no longer bear to draw on my previous tablet (a CF-19) and have relegated that to Photoshop post-production.

An option I could recommend then is getting a used or otherwise unlocked Note 4. I don't think the pen aspect has been improved since then in any very significant way.

And so I have high hopes for the Samsung 2-in-1, but I'll hold off for a while... These are exciting times.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    artistebot and WillAdams like this.
  9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How well does the Staedtler Noris Digital stylus work on older machines? I'd pretty much want whatever small device I get to support it nicely.

10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

The article I linked to actually explicitly says that it does have a pen. In fact, according to the article, it's the only model that _automatically_ comes with a pen. The others have different models with and without pens. Or so I've read.