Acer Switch 7

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dstrauss, Aug 30, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You KNOW it is about time you owned a grown up computer - WOA LTE tablets won't be here until 2018, and then you can get an iPad thin and light WOA tablet to go with the Acer beast. :thumbsup:

DRTigerlilly and Bronsky like this.
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would say both Asus and Acer have been equally innovative in the laptop/tablet pc space.

Asus created the first slate-style tablet PC with ultrabook internals—the EP121—precrusor to the modern 2-in-1 detachable form-factor, long before the Surface Pro, even pre-dating the term "ultrabook". (I wrote about the history of this little "cult-classic" of a tablet, in a short paper. :)) They also created the first ultrabook with a discrete GPU—the UX32VD—with 99% sRGB IPS screen and aluminum chassis. It was the only ultrabook of its kind for over 2 years. Recently, they unveiled the ROG Zephyrus, the first sub-17mm laptop with a GTX1080.

Being both Taiwanese companies that compete on multiple fronts of PC hardware, they have a natural rivalry to one-up each other, which culminates at a "showdown" every year at Computex, held in Taipei. It's a wonderful dynamic really.

But somehow, both of these companies' hardware achievements typically go unrecognized in the West (except of course, by hardcore gamers ;)).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    DRTigerlilly, Tams, stormi and 3 others like this.
  3. dstrauss

Spent lunchtime looking at Switch 7 materials, and I really don't like the barrel connector power supplies attached to it and their similar laptop models. If it can be powered by USB-C then I'll be cool with it, but no more proprietary power supplies for this cowboy.

Bronsky likes this.
  4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wait, hypothetically does this mean you'll forgo EMR, TB3, silo and basically all your requirements up till now, just because it doesn't have USB-C charging?

Man there's "hard-to-please"...and then there's dstrauss. :p

Kumabjorn, Azzart and Bronsky like this.
  5. dstrauss

Yes, and yes. If they didn't implement charging through the USB-C port, that implies there may be other gimps in their implementation. That's a non-starter as far as I am concerned. Plus it eliminates any chance of using a docking solution that would also power/recharge the battery. :rolleyes:

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We’re still in the early stages of USB-C Charging adoption…..Just because it’s using a proprietary power supply…..doesn’t necessarily mean it also can’t be USB-C charged. Maybe Acer will engineer it to be charged from either. The real benefit to USB-C charging (for me anyway) is it’s easier to use back up battery packs to help give a bit of extra power on the go. (a Fact Samsung likes to well advertise) And if its USB-C/Thunderbolt 3……depending on your usage, since it only has one USB-C port, having the power separate from the USB-C port can be a bit more convenient in some cases. But even if they did make it USB-C as the main charging method, they could have still tied it down to their own Proprietary USB-C charger like Wacom did with the MSP….which would then present the same issue for you.

7. azaniramsan

azaniramsan Pen Pal - Newbie

Usually laptop with dedicated gpu require its own charging port despite having a USB c just because it doesn't supply enough power just with USB c.

This would means the battery may have higher ampere than what common docking+charging can provide.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

8. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Getting into the discussion late...LOL

This looks very promising, as a replacement to my SP2 and Macbook Pro! Several have said the EMR was dead, far from it.

I hope the the pen drivers are not ****ed up like it is on Samsung Galaxy book. Not being very familiar with Acer I hope the build quality is closer to Apple and MS, than Samsung, Dell, etc...

IMHO Samsung likely making far more $ licensing it tech that selling actual devices. EMR is now accurate, sensitive, has hover cursor, tilt support, with customizable side buttons. Pens can be light and well balanced, don't need sync or charge (this is often misunderstood) , unlike ALL powered pens. EMR is the STANDARD and all professional artists who use wacom products will have the expectation that AES, N-Trig and even Apple cannot meet.

I agree with Marty and Distrauss, EMR is king and nothing (other than MAYBE Apple Pencil) comes close.

The new Samsung Staedtler Noris Digital Pencil is freaking awesome and demonstrates how seamless a stylus can be. Every artist that I have had try the SND has responded with something like "wow this is the best feeling stylus". That included heavy Apple Pencil users, seasoned Wacom users, and T-Trig refugees. If you have not bought one of these amazing Pens, now is the time @ ~ $26 on Amazon.

Being Wacom EMR, I would bet that the SNP will work great on this device too.

Thankfully the MS Surface Pro demonstrated with viability of the convertible market, even if the Pen is flawed, glad to see a product that seems to address an art-centric need.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  9. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No need to translate, he only talks about the specs in detail but also quite superficial. There is more information in this thread already than in that video. ;)

When I bought my Acer Aspire R13 371T, I already knew that I was likely not going to keep it due to the pen and keyboard layout, the latter missing the F-key row. They fixed the key layout with a later version but sticked to Synaptics. Another annoyance was the factory-applied screen protector which created a faint moire-like effect from certain angles. But man, I loved the form factor of the Aspire R13. The hinge on that one was almost perfect not just in design but also usability with the right amount of stiffness.
    [​IMG]

Asus' EP121 was a great device which unfortunately came out before Intel managed to make their CPUs more efficient and made "reasonable" compromises betweeen size/weight and battery life possible. Another victim of being ahead of its time.

I wouldn't worry about that, the first-gen Switch Alpha 12 was capable of being charged through both the barrel port and the USB-C port. Tested it myself with an Innergie 45 USB-C charger and in the SA12 thread there is some more infos from other users. Though you likely need a USB-PD charger with the right voltage.

I seriously doubt htat they would add Thudnerbolt 3 but strip USB-PD charging. Wouldn't make any sense :thumbsup:

IMHO, the fact that you can do both is friggin' awesome.
    Gives you the option of using the USB-C port for video/data etc. while still charging it. Almost every other USB-C tablet doesn't even give you that choice. A barrel port still makes it very easy to charge it with a gazillion different (universal) chargers and DC-out power banks in the market.

The laptops that you mean are very different, those are dedicated gaming or workstation laptops (mostly) that use much more powerful components. Therefore those can need more than 100W at full load. WIth 100W being the limit for USB-PD, a non-USB-C power option is needed for those.
    The CPU/GPU combo in the Switch 7 is much less powerful and therefore also much less power-hungry compared to the above.

I wouldn't dare to call myself an artist, but being an owner of the Staedtler too since yesterday, I can wholeheartedly agree that it is awesome! :D

hedehede81, Marty, WillAdams and 2 others like this.
  10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Agree for the Staedtler: best pen ever. <3:D

WillAdams likes this.