Acer Switch 7

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dstrauss, Aug 30, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@dellaster - I think you've nailed it. I get better battery mileage out of my SB2 13.5 clipboard (granted only Intel UHD 620 graphics when undocked from the mothership) - usually 3-4 hours productivity apps.

I HATE MICROSOFT FOR MOVING TO N-TRIG! These Surface devices would be PERFECT (even without TB3) if they were Wacom EMR.

@MacrosTheBlack007 - I seriously doubt I'll ever have the opportunity for bitterness with the Acer Switch 7...

2. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

I got a Switch 5 in a lucky mix-up. Amazon accidentally had the the Switch 5 listed at $500 on sale when it first came out. They intended that to be the sale price for the 12 Alpha and changed it soon after they realized their mistake. I went to Best Buy and got them to price match and wound up getting it for $300 off when it first came out.

I have to say I'm really happy with it. The specs (i5 CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD) are decent especially for the price. You'll pay much more for the comparable Surface. The pen and keyboard came with it. It runs like a charm. The only things that I feel aren't that good are the cameras, particularly the rear and the speakers. The cameras don't matter that much to me, but the poor speaker quality is a little annoying. All that said, it's a good device. What is the difference between the 5 and 7? Is it just the addition of the graphics card for the 7?

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Better pen in the switch 7
    quad core i7
    bigger hd
    more ram
    slightly bigger screen

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Bronsky likes this.
  4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

None of this except maaaybe the battery life seems like something that would hold them back from releasing. A SSD is still blazing fast. "Not PCIE fast" is not really a big deal as long as they are up front with it. Fingerprint readers seem to be a gong show on a lot of devices so this would also not be anything new to me.
    Given that they are touting it as powerful and mobile, I could see incredibly hamstrung performance (throttling from poor thermals) or crap battery life giving them pause to release though.

Telstar1948 likes this.
  5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Wacom EMR? 2-hour battery life? Acer should sell this as a RETRO '90s device. Put it in yellowing beige plastic and strap a 5-pound weight to the back.

dstrauss, cmd and thierryb like this.
  6. dstrauss

Well, now that I am on the "check once a week" schedule, my frustration level has diminished by 6/7ths. Actually, there is no frustration level any longer, just sadness for Acer, the laughing stock of computer manufacturers. It's obvious from the few true reviewers (not just 20 minutes in a hotel suite...that sounds like different story) out there that have actually USED one, they have an itty bitty battery, hot throttled processor, and questionable build quality...

Sure do like this Surface Book 2 (16gb/1tb/i7/GTX1050) even though it cost me $900 more than the mythical beast...

The Clipboard alone has longer battery life than the vaporware Switch 7...there I said it...vaporware, vaporware, vaporware...OOPS

[​IMG]

7. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

Have a crush - Longing every night - Hope crushed - Recuperation - Get Over it

From the minimalistic chart up above, you are somewhere between recuperation and get over it phase.
    So far there's ativ q and now this, are they making this a cycle pattern? every 4-5 years, we'll get a vaporware

8. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

I am sad for Acer, more products like their mythological device are needed, they are at least trying to push the boundaries. Their marketing department needs to be replaced. However my opinion of marketing people cannot be lower, who in general are overpaid idiots who's job could be done better by wild turkeys.

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

That is their problem, they only hire free range turkeys.

10. dstrauss

The new addition to the neighborhood:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018