Acer Switch 7

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dstrauss, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I suppose if they start to sell the new emr type to manufacturers like they did with the galaxy and presumably the switch 7, they could leave microsoft/ntrig and their own past aes to eat dust. It's just too superior in terms of quality, accuracy, drawing/writing feeling.
    Much depends on the cost for the manufacturer, but considering how much it costs to implement a finer touch digitizer grid to make those technologies better, I can't see what could be the benefit for a manufacturer to choose ntrig/aes over emr.
    I can only see it for those who wants to stay in the budget tablet market using years old pen tech.

2. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

The latest EMR has much improved edge detection and lower cursor offset than older implmentations, plus EMR pens don't require a battery and they seem to be more robust. Having said that I doubt Wacom are going to neglect the AES market because that will almost certainly lead to their demise pretty quickly. All they need to do is resolve the jitter issue and AES is good to go, and they will probably nail the jitter in the next incarnation. At which point the future of EMR will become much more questionable due to cost and vulnerability to magnetic and electronic interference etc. as you mentioned earlier.

I think Wacom is going to be bought out by one of the big players (Samsung most likely) unless they pull off something amazing which they can patent. I doubt that's going to happen, and they have neglected their core customers over the years, so they haven't built up any credit in the customer loyalty department.

Off topic ramble:
    I think Wacom are going to see their role as producers of niche market artist orientated devices severally weakened in the mid term, and I doubt they have a strategy that can spare them the pain. Even their large format devices are coming under fire with the recent M$ and Dell advances on that market space. The market is awash with low to mid range drawing tablets from china, and the the new round of Tablet/2in1 PC's are going to hit hard at the MobileStudio and smaller Cintiq's segment. It's hard to see a healthy future for Wacom, especially if they continue on with the same old business model, without adapting to the new landscape. Even if they make adjustments it will probably be a case of too little too late.

If one of the respected manufactures builds an artist orientated model the MSP is a dead duck! If Samsung enlarged the chassis of the NP9 and slapped on a few express keys (which would cost virtually nothing to do) they would be really close to what the majority are looking for in a portable art device. If they incorporated a proper jog wheel they would please artists and video editors. There's a lot of room for improvement on the MSP and it could be done at a much more affordable price.

If Samsung made the N9P keyboard bluetooth and added an eject button they would have a really useful device allowing the chassis to become an easel, * using a hinge like the Surface Book, with a rip and flip screen and the remote keyboard. They could even keep a similar sized form factor and make an express remote, which could be attachable to either side of the screen or used remotely. Develop a decent rotary style menu and wait for the punters to snap them up. Samsung could do a similar thing for the large format Cintiq's using the same keyboard and express key.

* or design a 360 hinge that is rock solid and remove the need for a rip 'n flip screen.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Sergei, artistebot and WillAdams like this.
  3. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow. It's going to be a long 4 months.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm going to chime in as a non-artistic and tech-ignorant user:

No one can tell me the writing experience with N-Trig, Wacom AES, Atmel, Synaptics or any other technology is as good, much less better, than the feel of inking with a Wacom EMR digitizer. I don't know if it is just the nibs, pressure sensitivity, accuracy, form factor - WHATEVER - the EMR experience is superior regardless of canvas size or format. I know, I know, this is VERY subjective, but I'm not talking about edge accuracy, hover, line jaggies - it just lays down ink smoother and better when writing than any alternative.

You can use a stick (S-Pen) or a full size Cintiq pen, they are better than anything on the other side. So you CAN have a silo in any size device, even an 8mm thick smartphone.

I really would like to hear from anyone who can honestly say it FEELS better and more pen on paper with any EMR alternative.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  5. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

WillAdams likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is really interesting, because it's commonly accepted that the "average" non-techie, non-artsie user "can't tell the difference". A pen is a pen...active-passive, AES-EMR, it's all the same to 90% of users... so they say.

But I wonder if after a few years collecting feedback, tablet OEMs were eventually noticing that people could tell the difference. And that's why Synaptics is now relegated to the component trash-bin, that not even Chinese knock-off brands want to touch :D. While EMR seems to be rearing its head more, as OEMs are more discerning in digitizer selection.

dstrauss likes this.
  7. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I attended Wacom's Connected Ink event yesterday. I'll post a brief recap later, but don't expect anything newsworthy since that was a B2B event.

An important factor for Wacom in regards to EMR is that it is the better technology to make digital inking ubiquituous. That is also why they made their 3.3mm thin Universal Pen Cartridge, which anyone can use for any kind of pen design, like Staedtler did with the Noris digital.
    Samsung is likely playing a big role in pushing EMR too.

dbrn, dstrauss, Azzart and 1 other person like this.
  8. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Good on Wacom for finally letting other manufacturers use the good EMR boards, but that's solely due to competition from Microsoft. Tilt sucks on EMR too, isn't it funny that Apple got the tilt right the first time, while Wacom has been stagnant for years and Microsoft released a buggy product? So we're just down to the slow line wobble, which even the mighty Cintiq Pro had, and somehow fixed with a firmware update.

COGBABY likes this.
  9. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This overview in German seems to go over the tablet in more depth than others if anyone can translate:

Sent from mTalk on my Acer A12

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Acer, along with Asus, pioneered the netbook market. Because of that, both companies originally had reputations for making cheep notebooks. Both companies eventually developed an upscale product line. Acer has been the far more innovative company and has always had decent depot service, at least in America (the depot is in Temple Texas). Asus service IMO has been close to abysmal.

Nearly a decade ago, Acer released the Timeline series. The 3820TG was the first thin and light 13" notebook with any serious gaming capability. The major innovation in the 3820TG was an advanced cooling system that permitted the unit to run cool even after hours at full-throttle. Acer was able to get a mid-tier AMD Mobile HD 5650 GPU in a notebook approximately an inch thick, which was unheard of at the time. The 3820TG was so innovative that I ordered one from Germany, when Acer made it unavailable in the states.

Acer has, once again, appeared to have innovated its cooling system in order to permit it to build a powerhouse of a device, containing a fanless 15w CPU and a dedicated GPU. Apparently taking a number of lessons from its first attempts at implementing liquid cooling, Acer believes that it can cool a 15w quadcore CPU and a a dedicated GPU, without adding a fan. It probably can.

The other thing that Timeline owners loved about their Acers was the simplicity of the bios. Acer does not normally whitelist its bios, like HP and Lenovo do. Thus, it is easy to swap out any parts not nailed down, like wifi cards and the like.

The Acer bios normally permits overclocking as well, particularly of dedicated GPUs. We had our old HD5650s clocked so high they would double their 3DMark scores. Best of all, the cooling system could handle the extra heat, having plenty of headroom for OC'd hardware.

What I am really pleased to see is Acer finally embracing some decent pen technology. It's past reliance on Synaptics and Atmel alone kept me from being interested in any of their products. Even embracing N-Trig with the R7 wasn't enough to peak my interest. Adopting EMR and designing a siloed pen ... well now we're getting somewhere.

There has been a lot of discussion about the price as well. Acers are discounted almost from initial release. The company sells to large distributers who immediately discount their equipment. I would not be surprised to see the actual price hundreds less than the MSRP.

In all, this looks like a great tablet on paper. If I wasn't sitting on the sidelines waiting for WOA, I would seriously be considering one of these.

dbrn, stormi, kvoram and 5 others like this.