Acer Switch 7

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dstrauss, Aug 30, 2017.

1. gobmonster

gobmonster Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay so now I just need an artist review. Really need to know how that stylus performs first hand

If anything, I'm more concerned that it might not have USBC charging. If I can't on the go charge this thing and the battery life is terrible then it might be a deal breaker. I expected smaller battery, but with no fan it should be okay, comparable to the Galaxy book, which I can live with.. but only with my portable battery to make up for it.

So who's gonna order it first from this thread :D

2. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

MrMaddogg, artistebot and yodamiked like this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well.., I think I scavenged a tiny (tiny) bit of information from that gawdawful PR claptrap for illiterate wallet monkies. (I HATE marketing-speak. High on empty calories, low on nutrients.)

Wow. I have a case of the grumpies today. Must be this weird flu bug. Not much snot, but plenty of sideways perception and fogginess. And low patience for glossy nothing data.

So I can't tell if there's a damned pump in the thing or not. How hard, Acer, is it to provide a basic detail? "The heat pipe then generates a single direction, two phase flow of liquid." What the hell does that mean? I can imagine something vaguely workable both with and without a motor. Do you have to tilt the machine periodically?

Ugh. It doesn't matter. I'm going to go lie down and let my brain gently spin in misery before I type something stupid.

Thanks for the link, though!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  4. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

No pump, but I don't pretend to understand how it works. I do know if it was invented by Apple in the Steve Jobs era it would probably be called Magic Cooling. :rolleyes:

So let's just call it magic and hope that it works well. If it does, and everything else is up to snuff, I might be getting one of these in the fall or winter. Maybe on a Black Friday sale.

thatcomicsguy and artistebot like this.
  5. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe.....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermosiphon

"The Thermosiphon effect is driven by heat from the computer. As the water heats up it very slightly expands and tends to rise. As it cools it very slightly contracts and tends to fall. This is what causes the coolant to move through the loop."

?

thatcomicsguy, Azzart and dstrauss like this.
  6. atragon

atragon Pen Pal - Newbie

Reading between the lines on their description, it sounds like a heatpipe system is at play here. In a water cooling system, there is no phase change, the water remains liquid. A two-phase system implies a liquid-vapour transition, which at the working temperatures of a PC would mean a different working fluid.

I would suggest taking a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_heat_pipe given the images we've seen of Acer's implementation and their description of it being a single direction flow (a typical heat pipe involves bidirectional flow within a single linear pipe).

thatcomicsguy, dellaster and dstrauss like this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I thought in this case (given the thermals inside this little beast) it would be more like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  8. atragon

atragon Pen Pal - Newbie

I think we can safely say it runs a weeeeeeeee bit cooler than a nuclear reactor. :D

I mean the CPU maxes out at 90 degrees C after all. Of course, I wouldn't want to hold a nuclear reactor against my arm either, so I'm really hoping it behaves itself for casual work. I definitely want to see surface temperature numbers on this beast.

hiramkey, twospirits and artistebot like this.
  9. artistebot

The cop represents Samsung technical support...

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. artistebot

dstrauss likes this.