Acer Switch 7

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dstrauss, Aug 30, 2017.

1. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, for me this certainly looks like it should be my next one. Thankfully Acer switched from Synaptics, and even to EMR. Wow! :thumbsup:

I hope I can check this baby out this weekend at IFA. Unfortunately Acer usually does not have a public booth there but just talks with press and dealers.
    I'll certainly keep my eyes out :)

Not yet perfect, for that I would like the option of a keyboard dock, but damn that is nice.

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

I wonder how the fanless will end up working on this. I have a hunch may actually end up being better than the i7 Surface Pro (2017) given the fact that the GPU is separate from the CPU die. They probably placed the GPU as far from the CPU as electrically and physically is possible and gave it its own dedicated heatsink in the liquid loop "chain". I'm genuinely intrigued. My only immediate serious concern now is battery life which could be very easily impacted by the quad core CPU and dedicated GPU.

With the Acer Switch 7 Black Edition now on the scene, where does this leave the Surface Book 2? Will Microsoft do this, only better (minus no EMR so not better in stylus)? Or will they just go the safe route and do a simple CPU drop-in replacement with other minor upgrades akin to the Surface Pro (2017)?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  3. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

The windowscentral test unit seems like they have found it from a trash can.

First I've got excited, maybe I still am. But let me point out:

- The bezels are huuuuge
    - Battery life less than 10 hours cannot do us any good
    - This thing is not portable at all. 13.5 and that bezel and 1.5 kilos. you cannot carry this thing like SP or GB.

hedehede81 and WillAdams like this.
  4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It only took them...3 years. :p

You gotta feel sorry for Synaptics a bit, they lost every one of their customers...Dell, HP and now Acer.

On the other side, anyone excited about Wacom recent push with EMR? Previously we speculated that the new UD digitizers with tilt were Samsung-exclusive, but the press release clearly says:

"The latest reincarnation of the Switch has an embedded stylus powered by Wacom EMR technology that features 4096 levels of pressure sensitivity and pen tilt support to control the angle, width or shading of the stroke."

Might we see another Wacom/N-trig war in the tablet PC space, this time with Wacom UD2.0 vs MS PixelSense?

(rubbin' my hands and lickin' my lips :D)

DRTigerlilly, Sergei, Tams and 2 others like this.
  5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Nope, not one bit. Good riddance to their pen from hell.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

If I were Panay and company, I'd be concerned about price points. If the $1699 truly is the 16gb/512gb model that several folks have posted, that would be a full $1,000 less than the comparable current Surface Book. Granted, we are comparing a Camry to a Lexus ES, but beauty and design will only go so far.

Right - big bezels suck, BUT my guess is battery capacity and passive cooling warrant the additional space.

Battery Life - we'll never get 10 hours in desktop replacement device; even lowly iPad Pro barely gets that.

I'd say the weight is pretty typical of any 13"+ ultraportable; again, not an iPad Pro replacement

7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

They showed a diagram on the introduction video. Maybe a mechanical engineer can weigh in here and do a back-of-the-envelope calculation of how many watts of heat it can dump when the processor is at 90°C and the room temperature is 25°C?
    [​IMG]

8. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

As far as I've read this will be the only available config. Lower spec models will likely be released as Switch 7 (minus the Black Edition). :)

If nothing even better will be revealed until next year I think this will replace my Z Canvas (oh no, another nearly 2k upgrade in short time... o_O), even if I have to sacrifice the 47W quad...
    But it seems like either the SSD is not replaceable or wifi is soldered on an they are using a short M.2 variant SSD :( Here is another shot from the internals:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Like everyone, I'd prefer PCIe as well, but it would not kill the deal for me - haven't owned an Acer for a while (5 years ago +/-) but this still looks like the closest to perfection I will see for my use case. Still, why can't I have an iPP 10.5" size Windows 10 device with Wacom/LTE/8gb/512gb/USB-C (preferably Thunderbolt 3)?

10. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

I never owned an Acer and I never trusted their PC stuff until they released the R7, which I was really tempted to buy.