Acer Switch 7

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dstrauss, Aug 30, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

If they did that, with all the 8th gen/MX 150/TB3 goodness, they would be THE STUPIDEST OEM in history...besides, all of the videos I've seen sure looks like same stick that is in the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro...

2. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

The pen pressure should be fine. All the newer emr implementations appear to support the new low iaf, which is pretty fab.

Since it's a siloed pen, I'm inclined to think it'll be more Samsung-like than classic. But there's no evidence either way at this point.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That is of course provided the Acer Switch is using the newer EMR implementation. While I'm indeed hoping it is using the newer s-pen type stock......that isn't a guarantee. The Dell Canvas for example....while I'm not certain if its using UD tablet PC EMR or DTK Cintiq EMR........it is using those larger old school Nibs that Wacom used to use for all their products......so the Canvas is at least using old school digitizer stock....so too technically could Acer....and even HP for that matter.

4. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmm but do these old stocks provide 4096 pressure levels and tilt recognition? I think it will more likely use the newer type that Samsung is using now.

5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Same as I think.
    I also think the zbook x2 should be using the same generation of newer emr tech from Wacom.
    Pressure curve may vary between various pens (I mean it also varies between the full sized s-pen and the Staedtler) and buttons may not work in the same way but the basic core functionality of all these pens should be common ground.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

The Dell Canvas is using UD tablet pc EMR, and it has... I don't know, 2k+ pressure levels? and tilt recognition. The Dell Canvas pen takes the classic nibs, yes, but it also has a low IAF just like my spen. The Canvas pen paired with my GB10 is eons better than the spen. No hand cramps. :)

All new EMR machines have improved specs. I don't think Wacom is backing out on this. The only real issue is that full intercompatibility- mostly tilt- may be limited due to driver issues.

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

random q does anyone know yet if the Zbook x2 pen is Wacom UD EMR? That pen looks super comfortable.

darkmagistric likes this.
  8. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

According to the spec sheet (or marketing or somewhere) it's Wacom EMR. I'm still waiting for the pen to be sold separately like they promised so I can use it with my GB10.

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And there is no cursor offset at all using the Canvas Pen on the Book 10.6? Pretty much all of my old school UD EMR Pens....that use the same larger nibs that the dell canvas is using....have a noticeable offset on more modern Samsung devices. Some worse then others...but most to the point where its almost usless to even use them.

The Canvas pen playing nicely with the Book 10.6.....does give me alot more hope the Switch 7 and Zbook will as well.

WillAdams likes this.
  10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

A friend of mine, a comic artist, uses the old Bamboo Smart for Galaxy Note on the Book 12: he finds it gives him better control compared to the s-pen.

darkmagistric and WillAdams like this.