Acer Switch 7

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dstrauss, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Can you post me a link? I can't for the life of me land on a page that gives me a decent overview of the specs using my phone!

2. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Azzart likes this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I hear you, but do what diff does tb3 make, vs tb2, for those uses? For that matter, what is enabled that you can't do with USB3/displayport/HDMI, with or w/o docs?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

4. azaniramsan

azaniramsan Pen Pal - Newbie

Tb3 have higher bandwidth, and that only matters to bandwidth-hungry devices such as Egpu and external ssd.

Tb2 obviously has lesser bandwidth than tb3 which will bottleneck the performance of aforementioned devices.

Other than Egpu, external ssd, and high-end Docking station, you don't need Thunderbolt

Some high end Docking station that provide multiple 4k60hz external display USB C charging, requires Thunderbolt to make sure everything run smoothly.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

In my experience, TB3 docks (if compatible with your system - an increasingly touchy subject) are more robust - no performance bottlenecks as you run full on hires screens, data connections, high speed wired networking, and all the peripherals you can muster - ALL on the end of one connector to your laptop. I'm not a gamer, but it does open up the possibility of monster eGPU cards as well. Who knows what the future will bring, but its about as future proof as you can get at the moment (staring daggers at you Panos) - assuming I could hold on to a system for longer than the 30 day return window...:eek::rolleyes:

Kumabjorn, Telstar1948 and Azzart like this.
  6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Sounds just right. Check out this new portable tb3 SSD from Dell: 2.6 GB/s!!! Awfully pricey compared to the awesome Samsung T5 1TB I just bought for $175 on Amazon but compared to the 0.5 GB/s mine does this one will do a 512GB system image 5x faster - in, what, 10 minutes (assuming lots of small files)? Could be faster - or slower; I refuse to automate the calculation so that's from my addled head! Still, the T5 was so fast I don't think I'll be able to go back to any other device or method of portable/backup file storage. It's the size of, well, a pair of m.2 nands! What the hey, it's stupid fast. I like fast. This was the answer I was really seeking :-D

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  7. uHu

uHu Pen Pal - Newbie

Thing is:
    With that much money on a tablet, I would expect to use it for a rather long time.
    And TB3 is just the interface of the future.
    Apart from the things already mentioned, it might be possible in the future to use the Tablet as "Graphics Tablet" on a desktop Computer by connecting it with a USB-C TB3 cable.
    The Bandwidth of TB3 should be big enough to transfer the uncompressed picture in full resolution at 60Hz. Not sure, if this was possible with USB3.1 (and to lazy to calculate atm).

People also say, iPad Pro has great speakers. To me they sounded like utter crap (10.5" version).

That being said, not even having proper stereo would be kind of ridiculous on a 2000€ tablet.
    I would also expect a rather accurate display with at least proper sRGB coverage.

The big Pros of the Tablet are imo:
    - fast processor
    - really good and especially passive cooling solution
    - WACOM EMR digitizer
    - TB3 (IF it actually has TB3)
    However ... 2000€ is a lot of money. So it still has to be good or at least decent in other aspects.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Can't speak for the 10.5 but my 9.7 has superior speakers to any of my three Android tablets or three Windows tablets. But with speakers attached they sound similar enough. When I do LINE conversations I prefer to use the iPad since its sound is better.

WillAdams likes this.
  9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

The 12.9 is far superior than surface book, surface pro and galaxy book in that regard.
    There's a lot of bad things I could say about Apple, but when it comes to these frivolous things they always do better than their direct competitors.

Marty likes this.
  10. dv8nathan

dv8nathan Pen Pal - Newbie

I wonder if, unlike samsung devices, will we be able to reprogram the button. maybe feel driver will work and i can use fujitsu double rocker button and eraser.