Acer Switch 7

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dstrauss, Aug 30, 2017.

1. atragon

atragon Pen Pal - Newbie

Speculation I read was that they were going to formally announce at CES.

2. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hope so...interesting device.

3. atragon

atragon Pen Pal - Newbie

stormi likes this.
  4. azaniramsan

azaniramsan Pen Pal - Newbie

While it's sad they didn't mention anything at all about the Wacom which is the most attractive point about this tablet, I'm very delighted to see the thermal management and battery are on the spot; within my expectation.

I can live with bad speaker and low brightness.

Now I need to know if that USB type c is also a tb3 port, because they didn't mention it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

5. JRiggs

JRiggs Pen Pal - Newbie

That's something lots of us are hoping for. TB3.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

So, perhaps you can enlighten me about something I haven't understood: is there any benefit to a tb3 port other than the ability to use an eGPU? I mean, given that even tb2 sustains speeds of 20GB for external monitors, what more is needed? For that matter, are there any affordable monitors that have tb interfaces? Thanks.

7. azaniramsan

There aren't much, Tb designed to provide much higher bandwidth than USB and that's it. The use cases are quite niche; here are some:

Docking station
    Egpu
    Tb monitor
    External pcie ssd
    Tb san
    Etc

My use case will primarily for Egpu gaming. I don't read much about Tb monitors but I doubt they're going to be cheaper than dp/hdmi counterparts

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Units will ship in March.

ColoKaren and Telstar1948 like this.
  9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks for the response. I agree tb monitors will not be cheaper, it's just a question of how much more expensive! Actually, the most useful tb peripheral (after egpu) would be a portable SSD. The only one I've seen is La Cie, and it's outrageously expensive for reasons I can't fathom. Ironically, many years ago when Apple had an exclusive on tb ports it they appeared then, and still do, clueless how to capitalize on it. I don't see Apple promoting their Macbooks as gaming machines, with eGPUs made by other companies. But going back to my original point: why is every reviewer obsessed with whether a laptop's tb pory has 4 lanes or 2 when, for most of the ultrabooks they are reviewing, chances are slight that the target market will pay $1,500 for a souped up Ultrabook so they can spend $1,000 more for an eGPU + dGPU worth making the whole investment for. Kills me to think people would pay $700 for an eGPU chassis and cheap out on the card, say a 1060. Or am I missing a great deal because I'm not a gamer, lol?!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

10. azaniramsan

About lanes, more lanes means more bandwidth and 2 lanes bottleneck the gpu performance; latest high end gpus need all the 4 lanes and might be more in the future. I forgot where I found the review, you can search about it on Google.

I'm sure most people who wants Egpu + laptop/tablet knew they are expensive and a small itx desktop with high end gpu would cost cheaper and makes more sense.

They have their own reason but for me, It's down to very personal craving for a laptop-for-work with the ability to transform into a portable gaming machine. An all in one device that satisfy all my needs.

I don't need a dedicated desktop gaming machine because I probably don't game a lot and mostly outside for meeting with clients and usually work on cafes.

It's unfortunate that most Egpu enclosures are nearly the size of small itx case, but I'm sure in we will see smaller ones soon.

So, as you see, the reason I wanted Egpu is down to personal preference. I'm sure there are people out there with the same reason as mine.

Telstar1948 likes this.