Acer Switch 7

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dstrauss, Aug 30, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Wheaties are your friend...

Just repeat after me...silo...silo...silo...silo...silo...silo...silo...silo...Note 8 (oops)...

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Nothing that hasn't been already said, it's the usual tech blabbering.
    No mention of the ports (by the way, if it's really thunderbolt 3 that makes things even more interesting :D ) or the exact kind of cpu it sports.
    The kickstand that auto opens it's a nice touch for me.
    Suggested price €1999 in December, which I think translates to roughly $1700-1800 before taxes in USA.

When painting there's not much gain, if there's anything at all, from dual core to quad core in Photoshop and Clip Studio.
    Basically, when I was thinking of building a small mini itx desktop I was going to choose an i3 dual core processor because with a higher base clock it would have been more powerful in painting than the corresponding i5 quad core.
    Much depends on how far it can sustain its turbo before pulling the brakes (as an example, the i5 on the new Surface Pro seemed to be always working at turbo speed with Clip Studio if I set the tablet to best performance).

kvoram likes this.
  3. chongsen

chongsen Pen Pal - Newbie

That thing is 2.5 lb without keyboard (the same weight as Surface Laptop).

And it comes with a low PPI screen (the same panel as Surface Laptop, PPI [207] is lower than Surface Pro 3 [216] )

I think it s better to stay away from a Fan-less design i7, D-GPU device. :)

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Doesn't that check of every box on your requirement sheet?

5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I also just read it sports an i7 8550u (1.80ghz to 4.0ghz in turbo boost), 16gb of ram and a 512gb ssd sata3.
    These last two specs would make it quite appealing on me.
    Weight for the tablet only: around 1.5kg/3.3lb (though this to me is the weight with keyboard instead)

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yes, it is almost the perfect match. If it is a full throttle Thunderbolt 3, so I can use a Thunderbolt dock, it is pretty much game, set, and match. I'm a little leery of the December sales target though - that's putting it awfully far down the road from an August reveal...

It's got a silo - and an honest to goodness siloed Wacom EMR - can you believe that Kuma...

7. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Oh, that is super nice. And a silo too. Tell me it has a fingerprint reader and my money is Acer's.

Depending on how the pen driver situation pans out (better than Samsung, hopefully), next year I am going to have my pick of devices. Well, two- Notebook 9 Pro and this. But it's way better than the zero it's been for the past several years.

I like this.

Edit: Wait, it DOES have a fingerprint reader! That'll teach me to post before I look over ALL the specs.

This is definitely the successor to my T901, long at last!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    kvoram likes this.
  8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

In this day and age it is certainly a unique feature.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Omazic.iv likes this.
  10. Omazic.iv

Omazic.iv Pen Pal - Newbie