Acer Switch 7

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dstrauss, Aug 30, 2017.

1. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

in last month and half the stock has plunged by 50% and a year and a half ago it was att 100 bux, its at 34 currently trending down.

2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think most of this is because of Apple ending ditching its supply contract with Synaptics. It's crazy how much pressure Apple exerts in the global OEM market, with people even suggested that are causing the ongoing DRAM supply shortage.

It's such a devil's bargain being a supplier for Apple: win the contract and your stock price shoots through the roof—but now you're their plaything and have to bend and acquiesce to Cook's every wish. (And when they decide to cut you anyways, your company goes under... :p)

dstrauss, Starlight5 and jbaks like this.
  3. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

So, it's totally unserviceable, right?

4. uHu

uHu Pen Pal - Newbie

Most likely.

5. JRiggs

JRiggs Pen Pal - Newbie

I think only the HP Elite X2 g2 is serviceable, so far. I wish it had kabylake 4core. I really want the 4 core. :). That plus egpu and I'm set for a long time games wise.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

6. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

This is such a shame in that case. I hope Z book X2 WILL BE serviceable; This would be nice to change the default SSD to one based on 3D XPoint technology, when this becomes available next year in m2 format.

7. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

It even looks like the SSD together with the RAM is soldered on board.

Also for information, it is already listed by the german seller notebooksbilliger: https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/acer+switch+7+black+edition+sw713+51gnp+87m8#section_properties
    They list the full specs, in the description they mention USB-C 3.1 with 5 Gb/s, however Thunderbolt 3 would provide USB-C 3.1 with 10 Gb/s. In the tech-specs they mention "Thunderbolt = yes over USB-C" so I think the description is just wrong. Also acording to the specs the SSD is only SATA.
    And they also mention a model with Wifi ad for wireless docking.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Starlight5 likes this.
  8. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@stormi that's a great news! I personally can tolerate soldered SSD if the system has 802.11ad, at least for second machine and/or until SSD prices become more reasonable.

Can't believe I wrote this - upgrading storage was the very first thing I did after buying every laptop I owned until 2017. Desperate times...

9. uHu

uHu Pen Pal - Newbie

stormi and Starlight5 like this.
  10. JRiggs

JRiggs Pen Pal - Newbie

Yikes I hope there is some concrete information regarding thunderbolt. I wonder if the MS store will eventually list it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Starlight5 likes this.