Acer Switch 7

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dstrauss, Aug 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I woulda thought ... I have been an Acer fan since my old 3820TG. When Acer gets it right (which is admittedly rare) they seem to get it very right. Unfortunately, the only option for service is the Depot but the techs down in Temple Texas have always done right by me. When you send in any device, they tend to replace anything they have to remove to get to the affected part. I was once surprised that they did not give me any grief about the power wire I had soldered onto once of the 5ma pickup terminals on my USB 2.0 card in an Acer. They just replaced it.

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I used to do that when I found a great deal on a close out/open box sale of a machine that was a standout daily driver for me. Problem is, the forbearers never broke, I used them for 2-3 years then gave them to a favored niece/nephew leaving their backup/replacements in their original boxes to gather dust. By that time, the performance/features made them obsolete for me (we can't all be Bronsky :thumbsup:) Accordingly, I have the following, virtually never-used:

1) 2011 Sony Vaio Z13 - Arrandale i7, 13.3" 350 nit 900p non-touch (95% Adobe RGB!), 8GB, 256GB RAID-0, every pre USBC port ever invented, (incl. 4USBA, HDMI, VGA, RJ45, Mini DP), 2.9 lbs, 4 pop-in/out batteries! Power-cycled app 50 times. If ultraportable laptops were collectible, this would be a true classic - but they aren't, and you can clobber its performance (minus the ports) for $500 today!

----Ya think maybe I hung on to it for too long?

2) 2013 Samsung Ativ Book 9 - Haswell i7, 13.3" touch (capacative) WQHD, 8GB/256GB, 2.8 lb, case made of jet aircraft material - truly harder than rock,! 140 power cycles. Battery 100% of design capacity.

---Still a pretty nice machine, but I used it's twin for 3 years, gave it to my nephew and kept this in a box (actually thought it was empty until last January!). If it had an active digitizer it would be useful now, but I prefer typing on my TP Yoga and it's too small to watch movies on. Doesn't have half the battery life of my Toshiba Z20t.

[MODS: this is not an offer to sell notebook computers. Such offers may only be made in the Marketplace, after completing the required forms. This is just a story, told by an aging oaf of a member, trying to entertain those with sharper minds. If I receive any offers from members to buy these mint condition, classic notebook computers I will inform the makers of such offers that, if they are serious, I will promptly post these legendary examples of device design and execution, with nary a fingerprint's evidence of past use, with a great deal of utility for years of computing pleasure for a subsequent owner, that I would probably sell for a mere fraction of their true current value, in the Marketplace Thread of our fine Forum. (unless someone PMs me, at which time I will have a long chat with my conscience and several spiritual advisers and will, ultimately, as I often do, do the right thing for all concerned. Thank you.]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

OI can see why you did. That Sony was one of the best notebooks every made. It was a true powerhouse in an extremely small package with the best keyboard and display I can recall. I almost sold my old Sony TT and 3820TG to get one but then discovered how high I could overclock the 3820TG's Arrandale I5-540M.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I wish I had bought THREE of the Asus Vivotab Note 8 when they were being liquidated...

5. lovelaptops

Now that would have been smart: probably $150 a piece, eh? Better than $400 and $600 for future relics, hahahahawahwahwah!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

dstrauss likes this.
  6. dstrauss

Ding, ding, ding - $149.99 on eBay for 64gb models a couple years back!

7. lovelaptops

That's "... woulda 'thunk'..." not "...woulda thought..." I hafta say you surprise me, ole Bronsk; I've always admired your lawyerly precision with words.

I know how much you loved that 3820TG; didn't realize the support was good too. Now, if that was Dell, Lenovo or Sony back in the day, I was sure their wtty service manual began with: Chapter One: The many things to look for to disqualify the customer from receiving service under warranty. Sony, many of us believed, had an appendix to that chapter entitled: "Using common service bench tools to create damage we can label: "evidence of warranty-voiding damage caused by customer." (eg, screwdriver marks, soldering iron burns *Note: see also, customer BRONSKY.)

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Omazic.iv and Bronsky like this.
  8. dstrauss

On the other end of the spectrum, my iPad Pro lightning port was acting strange (must have been loose because you could only charge by jiggling the cable) - Apple sent me a return overnight box by Fed Ex yesterday, received it today, and shipped me an overnight replacement for delivery by 3:00 tomorrow - basically 48 hours from drop to door. No questions asked.

I guess (over)price has its privileges...

Omazic.iv and WillAdams like this.
  9. lovelaptops

Yes indeed, you actually taught me about overclocking back then and I came very close to purchasing me one of dem dere 3820s - just to learn, and use oc-ing, not because I was a gamer or needed the graphics chops! You are so right about that [not quite original] but most classic of the Sony Vaio Zs. I forgot to note how awesome the keyboard was on that model (the "Z2" that followed it was a "trend-setter" for what Apple now calls, er, a "keyboard," ie, about 0.5mm of travel!), it was a true trend-maker for island style/"chiclet" keyboards and it was a joy to type-on. In the way that my Toshiba Z20t achieves clumsily, with a total absence of style, grace or aesthetic/ergonomic appeal, that Z1 was an engineering marvel in all that it had (I believe I failed to mention the Blu-ray ODD - something it would be handy to have every now and then with a 4K Ultrabook a-la the namesake of this thread, or an HP Spectre x360 15 that dstrauss and I are salivating over) and did without feeling or acting cramped or compromised by its then-awesome performance in it's then-unheard-of small, light package and quietly elegant design.

(There was the $3,000 price hurdle to get around, but that's when I discovered BLINQ.com, home of the "open box" bazar; never paid more than $1,200 for any of the 5 Z's I owned, back when you could post-purchase upgrade RAM, SSD, ODD - to blu ray - even screen [sadly, I didn't choose the then-available FHD screen on the "museum piece" I still own, because I found 900p more than adequate for 13.3" - the norm of the day being 1366X768 - when the 900p screen had a registry hack that boosted the brightness to 350 nit - vs 220 - and produced a then-record-shattering 1,200 contrast ratio. And talk about overclocking and such...a legendary NBR member developed a BIOS hack that enabled dramatically OC-ing of the nVidia dgpu - did I mention it had one of those as well?? - as well as virtually re-configuring every aspect of that already sensational machine!!)

Ah, them were the days. When I think of how much you accomplished, Bronsky, over the ensuing 7 years with so little $ "invested?="/wasted, I am all the more impressed with your frugality combined with early technology adoption, particularly with small actively digitized devices, your recognition of the amazing grace, power and even better keyboard/ergonomics than the Vaio Z1 that was your legendary TP X301 which served you for some 5+ years when the 3820 was relegated to kids/toyland and you no doubt authored Supreme Court briefs and other such amazing tradecraft while spending less cumulatively over 7 years on technology than I did in many of *each* of those 7 years!

Hat's off, my good forum buddy :thumbsup:. In 5 years or so, when you retire your Surface 3, please let me know what you will replace it with; I will buy 2 of those :vbbiggrin::vbbiggrin::vbbiggrin: Jeff

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Marty and Bronsky like this.
  10. Omazic.iv

Omazic.iv Pen Pal - Newbie

This will be a little off topic...

Well that (over)price products, and company that is selling them just made some things more “fair” and acknowledges problems with their products:
    http://www.iclarified.com/62676/ap...issue-with-iphone-8-says-its-working-on-a-fix

http://www.iclarified.com/62568/ap...-with-lte-connectivity-on-the-new-apple-watch

But not the new (over)price products from our dear Microsoft, and even if you of mention that problems over forum, a squad of new born msheeps are immediately putting their lawyers masks on and question why and what will Microsoft even have from it to acknowledge problem?!?!? Come on.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dstrauss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.