Acer Switch 7

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dstrauss, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Damn, now I'm not sure if I want a Switch 7 more or a kilt.
    I have a couple months to meditate on it.

(Hipsters in kilt though... no, thanks!)

Tams likes this.
  2. rcxAsh

rcxAsh Scribbler - Standard Member

What do you guys think about the Switch 7 in comparison to the Surface Book? I had once been considering the Surface Book since it has an NVIDIA GPU option, but it's price and lack Thunderbolt 3 made me put it out of my mind for a while. Now that people are expecting a refresh of the Surface Book this year, I wonder if Microsoft might finally put some more up-to-date ports on it.

And then I noticed the Switch 7, which we expect to have Thunderbolt and also has an NVIDIA GPU.

Seems the main difference might be the form-factor (full-slate with attachable keyboard versus "laptop" with detachable screen) aside from digitizer implementation, and possibly the question of which GPU Microsoft might put in the next generation of Surface Books?

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

This Switch 7 keeps looking better and better, but timing bothers me. An August reveal of a December release seems like a long way from design to manufacturing - almost smells of prototype to test interest. What do you all think?

4. uHu

uHu Pen Pal - Newbie

I think they revealed this early, because there was the IFA.

@rcxAsh
    I like the SB Formfactor. A laptop is better to use on your lap and very small tables (like in University).
    (However I am not sure, how well it works, when the top part is as heavy as a detachable tablet part demands.)

That being said, I have very little trust in MS to make a device, which actually works.
    All their devices had terrible issues ... some were only fixed after like a year. Others persist.
    Those things look nice, they have nice specs, they have a premium feel and a "premium price" ... but they also have more issues than the cheapest china crap.

Also, after how Panos spoke about the reasons, why they didn't include USB-C in their Surface Pro, I expect either no USB-C Port at all, or only exactly one USB-C Port and nothing else.
    I mean, those two options seem to be the only ones he's able to think about.

And then, I am absolutely sure, the new Surface Book will feature the same very crappy digitizer without any improvements as before.

rcxAsh likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It's not unusual for Acer. They have done this in the past. Acer has been trying to develop its niche for quite some time in the tablet or 2 in 1 space. I think they've hit on something special here.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. dstrauss

I agree that they've hit on something special - it's just that faint whiff of vaporware that has me queasy...

dbrn and violajack like this.
  7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Companies don't control the dates for IFA (or any other tech expo).

If you were Acer's CEO, would you pass up the chance to market an in-development device, after you've paid up the nose for booth space? :D

Basically if a device is within 6-8 months of launch, you can bet your ass they'll hype it, anywhere they can.

(As they should, otherwise what would us nerds have to fap to? :p)

8. atragon

atragon Pen Pal - Newbie

The one thing I'd love to see as an accessory for this is a clamshell-style keyboard. I can understand why Microsoft isn't doing one for the Surface Pro, to avoid competing with the Surface Book, but it seems like an obvious add-on.

9. dstrauss

Hype is one thing; four month hiatus is completely insane. And why so coy about details - like is it or isn't it Thunderbolt 3, etc...

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I don't understand why you think they are being especially "coy" or vague.

In fact, the specs revealed to the press were incredibly specific, stating the CPU, GPU, RAM and SSD configuration and weight 1.15 kg (2.5 lbs.) with an exact price. The press release had an entire paragraph devoted to the screen and digitizer, which is more detail than 90% of other manufacturer announcements.

TB3 ambiguity is nothing new to device marketing; even after release, most OEMs (Dell, HP, Eve) are reluctant to explicitly state PCIe lanes and power delivery compatibility, etc, because it carries the risk of over-expectation.

If you want a truly vague announcement, look at Wacom's 24" and 32" Cintiq Pro reveal, almost no technical tech details, no photos, and announced over 6 months out from release. Just a barren teaser site, but nobody is doubting its veracity.

Acer is just playing it safe, stating only clear and precise specs (of which they've made more than most OEMs). Suggesting that this indicates some sort of attempt to hide a vaporware/prototype stage device is just completely off-base.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Tams and uHu like this.