Acer Switch 7

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dstrauss, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

No.

Apart from AES, all Wacom digitisers are EMR. However, a while ago Wacom moved all their own products (their pro products) to a lockdown version of EMR (I believe it is a hardware 'lock'). This was distinguish their pro products from the rest of the EMR products they have. Pro products, ones from Wacom themselves, do not have styluses that will work. Some might briefly register mind.

So, all older Wacom digitisers (before the lock) will work (I think). Those styluses are often grey and light bluey-purple. All "penabled" styluses will work, as will all "FeelIT" styluses. If it was in a third party product, then it will work (yes, that includes all S-pens).

However; there is variation between all styluses, and older ones tend to have greater off-set and worse IAF, usually. Samsung also seem to be getting the better digitisers (they do own a share of Wacom).

There's a great thread over on the Microsoft forum about this.

uHu and WillAdams like this.
  2. uHu

uHu Pen Pal - Newbie

So, the Staedtler should be a "penable" or "FeelIT" Stylus, right?
    And so it should work on any Wacom EMR digitizer ... or not?
    To be honest I am not interested in those fat Wacom Pro Styluses, as long as the IAF of the Staedtler is good.

I can't remember at the moment, if it was already mentioned here ... but in the following video the guy says, you can load the Switch 7 through the extra power-port AND through the USB-C-Port, which has Thunderbolt.

(at 1:54)

As I could not see the TB-logo in this video, I searched around a bit, and found this one in 4K:

At 1:18 you can clearly see the TB-logo. So it's not only in the rendered shots.
    (Edit: Wow. And now I just noticed, the guy claims, it's not loaded through USB-C, because it has an extra power-port. Not sure, who's right now. Hope the guy from the first video.)

I've read a bit more into TB, and as far as I understood, TB over USB-C is always TB3.
    However TB3 can still come with only 2 PCIe-lanes. Keeping my fingers crossed for 4 lanes.

3. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I believe Wacom have abandoned both brand names for 'consumer' EMR and currently don't have a brand name for it. Styluses that have those two brand names will be EMR though (note; 'Penabled' styluses are rarely named as such, it was usually the laptops that were). Almost all the fatter Wacom Pro styluses won't work. The Staedtler is a 'consumer' EMR stylus, so is the same as a 'Penabled' or 'FeelIT' stylus.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I choose to believe this guy. Even if it is only two lanes of PCIe it is still a better solution than anyone else has out there. Now that I've put in my Note 7 owner's order for the Note 8 (if you suffered through the Note 7 debacle, including some of us that returned them twice - you get a $425 credit against an unlocked Note 8 with a trade in), I am on the prowl for a Wacom EMR based replacement for my SP4. If it is TB3, it ticks all of the boxes and gets me a larger screen to boot.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I knew you were gonna come around. It really is the first device to check all your major boxes. If it only was pocketable.

dstrauss likes this.
  6. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I posted the German version of the first video a while back and got slammed; as for USB-C charging at least on my Switch Alpha you can charge from the regular Acer port or USB-C, so unless they changed philosophy charging should be possible from USB-C here too, probably with a higher capacity charger.

Sent from mTalk

uHu likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sometimes even @Mesosphere 's cargo pants won't cut it...

[​IMG]

8. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

That looks like a bottom of the range device from that angle.

dbrn, dstrauss and Mesosphere like this.
  9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

What a waste of perfectly good cargo pockets.

10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Dude, are you kidding me? That guy has got the wrong cargo pants. Seriously. Here's what he needs. Hardcore, extra jumbo, military cargo pants for the real techies:

[​IMG]