Acer Switch 7

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dstrauss, Aug 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Can't vouch for the source on this, but it is the first mention in print of a Thunderbolt 3 port that I've seen.

HardwareZone.com

I take that back, Anandtech says so too (well, says reasonable to expect - that's lame)....

Omazic.iv likes this.
  2. azaniramsan

azaniramsan Pen Pal - Newbie

Now the question is whether it has 2 or 4 lanes. If four lanes, then this might be the unicorn were looking for.

I don't even mind the battery, will buy huge power banks if I need it

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

3. dstrauss

I'm beginning to think two lanes would be enough for the foreseeable (lifetime - as in "until destraussed) future of the AS7 - as long as I can get two monitors and the usual USB suspect attached to a single hub, I'm good.

4. WolfHauser

WolfHauser Pen Pal - Newbie

If it doesn't throttle like hell, has configurable buttons (feel driver support) and is as accurate as the spen then it's a done deal for me! looks cool!

dstrauss likes this.
  5. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

The more I read about it (not a lot of additional info as yet) the better it sounds. Apparently the cooling loop tech is not new to Acer so, hopefully, it will do the job very well. I have to admit, I want one very badly at this point. It would, for sure, be a desktop replacement. Wonder if they will offer a dock or if they will at least allow pass through charging from 3rd party USB-C/TB3 docks?

6. uHu

uHu Pen Pal - Newbie

Moin Leude!

I was very glad to see some other people, who are as picky with this stuff as myself. So I just joined the forum. :D

First a question about the Apple Pencil:
    Some people mentioned, they don't like it.
    But why?
    I tried it out with the new iPad Pro, and to me it seemed pretty much perfect.

Anyways ...
    Some things about the Acer Switch 7:

Having a Wacom EMR, does this mean it's automatically compatible with every Wacom EMR pen?
    I am especially interested in the STAEDTLER Noris digital.

Assuming, this pen will work with it and everything is as accurate as it is with the Apple Pencil on the iPad Pro ... and assuming, the Switch 7 will have TB3 with eGPU Support ...
    ... my biggest concern would be the Display.

Past Acer Displays didn't have the best color accuracy and sRGB coverage (not even talking about AdobeRGB or DCI-P3). And 2256x1504 are a bit on the low side, if you compare it to for example the Surface Book or iPad Pro (or even just Surface Pro).

However ... I noticed, that the resolution and size is exactly the same as on the Surface Laptop, which has at least good color accuracy (but not full sRGB coverage).
    What do think how likely it is, that it's exactly the same panel?

7. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

The cooling loop tech is in there current Surface clone and seems to work very well... lots of reviews out there on that one and no throttling problems even on the i7. They also have a current dock that is kind of expensive and not very highly rated. There current one had pretty terrible battery life and build quality was what I'd call tier 2, but you could buy one for about 50% less than Surface. I would be surprised if these other factors are suddenly better with the new model, but will wait for the reviews. The specs look very good.

8. dstrauss

Too tall
    Too heavy
    Too top heavy
    Too noisy on screen (click, clatters, taps)
    Too slippery
    Too round
    Too easy to lose cap
    Too easy to lose

9. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

All of that and the goofy charging!

dstrauss likes this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Too white

dstrauss, azaniramsan, Azzart and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.