Acer Spin 3, Spin 5 (Wacom AES) (2020)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Cuberdon75, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

WillAdams likes this.
  2. thesgsniper

thesgsniper Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a long time lurker of this forums, and I have recently gotten the Acer Spin 5 2020, with an i5 1035g5, 1 TB and 16GB of ram, because that was literally the only config they had. I can answer some questions if you guys would like to know, and I have a few questions of my own.

I have used wacom emr, aes, ntrig and even synaptics at one point, and only emr and aes worked well. Even then, I felt aes never had the best pressure sensitivity, particularly when I lift my pen up after a stroke, its something even Apple Pencil couldn't do, but Wacom emr does. I'm coming from a Surface Laptop 3 which I had to sell because I just couldn't get used to the form factor for art.

So the Acer Spin 5 seems to have Wacom AES 1.0 (so no tilt) but 4096 levels of pressure. However, even though its advertised as feel by Wacom, I highly suspect its an Elan Panel that's compatible with wacom aes pens. I have tried the Bamboo Smart for Wacom AES, Bamboo Ink (the original dual protocol) and they work similarly. I feel that while the tracking was superior to Microsoft, the pressure feels worse. So I went to track down Feel Drivers, but they don't seem to recognise the Acer Spin 5 as supported, which is strange. So for now, the tracking and IAF is great, but the pressure sensitivity seems gimped for some reason, worse than my ancient Thinkpad Yoga 260, which has the Wacom AES with 2048 levels of pressure.

It feels that the perfect device hasn't been made yet, and while Acer seems like the best on paper (light, 3:2 high res, wacom) it just doesn't seem to quite match up.

JoeS likes this.
  3. starllcraft

starllcraft Pen Pal - Newbie

xingneng.jpg tiehe.jpg bianyuan.jpg
    I paid $343 for Acer spin 13 in China's second-hand market and received it. It's really great! I love wacoom EMR.

Before windows 10 was installed, there were four bugs: Intel turbo boost, auto flip screen, touch screen, invalid sound card.

At present, the chromebook of Intel kabylake architecture CPU only has touch screen and auto flip screen. There is no way to solve these two problems. If the sound card is invalid, you can install Bluetooth power amplifier chip to solve it. Intel turbo boost installs the "throttlestop" program to unlock it.

Before, windows 10 was installed on chromebook of Intel kabylake CPU. After that, BIOS locked turbo boost at the lowest basic frequency. For example, the 8250u basic frequency was only 1.6GHz. After unlocking, it could run to 3.4GHz, losing 53% of the performance. Now my Acer spin13 has installed the "throttlestop" program turbo boost to unlock 3.4GHz and run Photoshop without any problem.

Acer spin 13 2K resolution LCD 3:2 screen, with 99% sRGB gamut, performance is still excellent.

The screen fits perfectly, even without calibration, and the edge of the screen does not drift at all.

stoneseeker likes this.
  4. thesgsniper

Wow, I am jealous. I kind of wished Acer at least had a dualboot option by default! Do you take a hit on the emmc storage though? Since its slow?

5. starllcraft

The built-in EMMC hard disk is really slow and small, and its performance is better than that of the mechanical hard disk. Its performance is similar to that of the stata3 interface solid-state disk. I will replace it with a 256gb EMMC hard disk to see if it can be improved.

6. thesgsniper

This makes me want to get the chromebook spin 13, despite the lack of availability and specs. One used to be available in my country but it only had 4gb of ram, and I wrote it off due to chromeOS. I need my scientific programs like tracker (motion tracking) software that only windows or linux x86/amd64 can be used.

I still wish acer used emr for their windows devices, the last good one was the switch 7, but it was too expensive and I saw reviews of terrible performance and terrible battery life. I'm still puzzled by the fact that pressure sensitivity is so terrible, it feels like it has worse pressure levels than my old thinkpad yoga 260 which had 2048 levels of pressure. Anyone know of a way to force install the wacom drivers for the Acer Spin 5 2020? Can I make a separate thread about it?

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

How did you install windows on a chromebook?? Don't they try and prevent people from doing that? Was it difficult? Sounds like you made a pretty ideal device out of it!

8. starllcraft

It's not difficult to install windows, but I don't quite understand. Windows 10 was installed when I bought it. You need to remove the protection device of chromebook so that you can install a third-party BIOS. For detailed technical details, please refer to the community of chromebook or refer to: https://mrchromebox.tech/#devices
    To purchase spin13, please buy the old version of cp713-1w, and the new version of cp713-2w pen scheme is replaced by wacom AES

stoneseeker and Marty like this.