Acer Refreshes ConceptD

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Steve S, May 27, 2021.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder how much the ConceptD 3 Ezel Pro will cost. Both being 14", seems like it would trade some blows with Acer's own TravelMate Spin P6; where the former is more powerful (especially graphics) but also heavier, pricier and and 16:9 screen vs 16:10.

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

While I'm glad they are updating with new hardware refresh, it seems the originals never actually came in stock most places, and was tremendously difficult to get even if you could afford it... so kinda weird to update it when people are still waiting on backordered original units. My friend eventually just cancelled his order after months of waiting. Like even if I had wanted to be an early adapter of this unicorn I would still be waiting in Canada for my chance to buy one, and here they are announcing the successors. feels bad?

Steve S likes this.
  4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

No D9 Ezel replacement makes me a sad boi,,,,

WillAdams and stoneseeker like this.
  5. Lilawyn

Lilawyn Pen Pal - Newbie

With the hardware refresh, it looks like the old (?) model of the ConceptD 7 Ezel is on sale at Microsoft.com for 600 dollars off, for a base price of $1999. Its specs aren't fully listed as far as I can see, but Microsoft does mention:

Intel Core i7-9750H
    16 GB DDR4

(And no word on what graphic cards configuration it is).

Still, this is the cheapest I've ever seen it and I'm sorely tempted.

stoneseeker likes this.
  6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

That is a good price! It looks like its the 1TB version with the RTX 2060. Not the highest configuration, (I would prefer the 32 GB for my work) but still an amazing machine for the price.
    I wonder how many of these unicorns actually sold. I'd be happy if they continued to push the high performance 2in1 devices.

EDIT* Oh! The Canada Microsoft store also has these for sale for $2400 CAD, $1200 CAD off the OG price. Wish it was the 2080/32GB model but still pretty neat.

EDIT** Acer website has a model for sale as well! High end one for just $700 more. I can't buy these direct from Acer in Canada of course, but its cool to see it become affordable over the border.

Screenshot 2021-09-06 113803.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    daddyfish and Marty like this.
  7. pagugu

pagugu Pen Pal - Newbie

If it's any help, I've gone about a year with my ConceptD-7, and love it so far.

There are things that could be improved (audio quality is not great, typing experience sometimes throws in repeat characters, unit can run very hot) but the combination of processing power + wacom EMR + dedicated GPU combo is exactly what I have been looking for. I love the screen design as well. I never really used the detachable surface book screen, and find the Concept-D swivel to cover just about all of the use cases I was looking for, and the ability to bring the screen forward and have it float above the keyboard is also nice sometimes.

I hope Acer keeps evolving this product line. When I was first looking into buying one, I got the sense from talking with an Acer tech that they were selling out with corporate graphics departments, which is why they weren't as widely available in the consumer marketplace early on.

8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, makes sense that graphic companies buy them, its definitely an artist dream. The hinge design is awesome indeed. I remember looking at the acer aspire r7 at the time which also had a similar cool hinge . Regarding the heat, you could try to undervolt it a bit if that is allowed (its safe and easy but the difference is subtle).

pagugu likes this.
  9. pagugu

pagugu Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the suggestion! It'll be great if that becomes an option.