Acer ConceptD 9 easel notebook (2019)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Cuberdon75, Apr 11, 2019.

1. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Right? It's really exciting but I wonder too

- All in one style 17 inch gaming PC for thermals (mothership)
    - Zephrus gaming laptop with touchpad/numberpad on the right
    - this 17 inch beast, EMR

Am I missing anything?

2. wandrinsheep

wandrinsheep Pen Pal - Newbie

That definitely depends on what your working on. For me my Samsung with kaby lake refresh is almost always plugged in on max power setting because there’s a noticeable difference in processing power and lag. I work on large canvas for clients and many layers with large brushes, you’ll definitely see the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ppl need to pay attention to power profile while on batteries. If it's on Power saver, those 5W core cpus clock waaaay down, close to their base clock. You'll definitely feel it then.

With 5W core CPUs, I force Performance profile when I'm drawing. Otherwise it's lag time. Even on Performance, most of those 5W core CPUs only get to around mid 2GHz anyways.

bloodycape and wandrinsheep like this.
  4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Sure, but that's not the matter in question: you can have 4, 8, even 16 cores, your drawing software won't care at all and will still use barely two for those laggy brushstrokes.

5. wandrinsheep

I think that it’s a fair bit more nuanced than that, maybe If only putting pen to digital paper but photoshop uses multiple cores very well, returns diminish at around 4 onwards, but for my artworks I’m working with nonstandard brushes which are cpu intensive beyond just a simple round soft brush, the mixer brush as well will absolutely choke machines and so too do filters, quality of life is important for me and not being hampered by a machine that’s being pushed to its thermal constraint because it’s underpowered is important, so all in all my conclusion would be the opposite of yours.

6. Shogmaster

Benefits of multicore processing taper off rapidly after about 6~8 cores, no matter what the task and how SMP aware the app is anyways, which is funny since "professional" CPUs from Intel and AMD are currently flogging 24~32 cores.

And it's also true that most art apps prefer clockspeed over core count.

I'm super sensitive brush response when I'm drawing so I can't stand any slow down when I'm sketching. So I only use CSP which prioritizes brush response over some fancy procedural rendering features. But then if I was a painter, I guess I would be more open to trying those intensive procedural brushes to emulate natural media...

7. wandrinsheep

You being up some great points which I agree with, I love clip studio for line work also. In regards to the multi core behemoths being offered and as someone who also does 3d modeling and video recordings I can whole heartedly say they have a much needed place in the market but none that will ever be truly needed for 2d work. I’m reminded often that I have purchased my machine for its Wacom and good art hardware whenever I try to do moderate 3d work, it buckles under load like a newborn calf.

An example of a heavy workload for me is recording my illustrations while working on my photoshop file, this alone is VERY HEAVY, and then there’s handbrake conversions to be done after that for upload.

The thing about 3d is that it makes excellent use of cores no matter how many especially when rendering so the benefits are phenomenal in from those powerhouse chips.

I’m just happy there’s something now for almost every niche, and this new device would be almost perfect for me in terms of power

8. Shogmaster

It is a much better time for content creators when it comes to hardware. You can buy decent Hexacore CPU for your custom rig for about 200 or less these days. That would have been 800~1000 by itself six years ago. My work got me a consumer AIO (cuz lol post iMac world...) with Hexacore CPU for less than 2000. Granted, it's 35W version of the i7-8700 ("T" version), but it still is way more powerful than the 4 year old iMac they try to make me use and I bitched up a storm to get me a decent PC.

But the days of X86 is coming to end soon and all this cranking of core count is part of that. Even 3D content creation process does not benefit after about 8 cores (unless you have bizarre case of more than one person using the computer at a time), and when it come to rendering 3D, it's now more about GPU processor count than CPU anyways. GPUs are much more suited for parallel processing than CPUs and video editing for exampe has started leveraging GPU more than CPU if your app is modern enough to be coded that way.

If it will be a funky transition for everyone going from X86 to ARM in 2~8 years but Intel has run out of room to take X86 and everyone has already started making transitions (Apple, MS). Sell your Intel stocks sooner than later lol.

thatcomicsguy and wandrinsheep like this.
  9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I'll repeat myself for simplicity: painting in Photoshop (and the vast majority of other softwares) isn't a multi threaded operation.
    It wouldn't even use all the power of the quad core on the Surface Book 2.
    You won't get ANY benefits from a quad core vs a dual core when considering painting only.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. wandrinsheep

It’s just one of those points where we’ll have to agree to strongly disagree. Even from a pure painter/illustrator perspective excluding all other variables except those which lead to finished project. I can only tangentially agree with your point and that’s if the ONLY thing you are doing is putting a stylus with a default brush to your screen. Most operations barring this simple action ARE multithreaded and creating illustrations is more than lineart( and for me that is such a case) the argument can not hold much weight since most artists aren’t doing simple line arts in their piece and every other action surrounding their artwork benefits from a decent cpu so it cannot be analyzed in a vacuum.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    thatcomicsguy likes this.