Acer ConceptD 9 easel notebook (2019)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Cuberdon75, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Wacom in the past has made a bunch of 17" EMR pen displays including DTU-1700, a DTF variant (DTF-17xx), and even a 16:9 one IIRC... They just never made a DTZ/DTK/DTH ones. They were mostly UD based.

stoneseeker and WillAdams like this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Wacom moves in mysterious ways sometimes.
    The Zbook X2's 14 inch 16:9 Panel size has indeed been in former tablets before.....the Gateway c-140x comes to mind.....but given the change in EMR (from nib assembly, tech specs, edge/corner accuracy) from everything below Surface pro 2.......to Samsung/Spens, Zbookx2, Switch 7, and the 9 Easel....I can't imagine they are actually using the same stock panels from the more ancient EMR machines like the c-140x.

I think maybe a more feasible scenario.....since Wacom already prices EMR digitizers more expensive then AES's ones....perhaps custom panel size is now an offering of there's if a company decides to go with EMR instead of AES. For Samsung at least anyway that appears to be the case....since all their S-pen devices run the whole gamut of different screen sizes and aspect ratios. For the Galaxy Book's, Wacom cut Samsung both 10.6 and 12 inch screens at 2/3 aspect ratios. Yet.....when Acer made the Swtich 7 Black edition......13 inch at 2:3 ratios.....Acer didn't seem to have any trouble getting that custom panel from Wacom, even though using the 12-inch cut boards for the Galaxy Book would have no doubt been easier and cheaper. Another possibility......given Samsungs still holding partnership with Wacom, maybe they have exclusive dibs over certain screen sizes.....like 10.6, 12, 13.3 (16/9), and 15.6. That would also explain why HP and Acer seem be opting for different Screen Sizes and Aspect Ratios from Samsungs offerings.....they may have no choice but to opt for different sizes.

And since Wacom doesn't appear to have any interest in updating the Mobile Studio Pro.......the sheer existence of devices like the Zbook x2, and this 9 Easel......rings a bit suspicious to me. Since Wacom can technically make more money in just being a component seller (as Samsung is the bulk of their income)....than having their own products.....its perhaps in their best interest to facilitate that market. And if a company comes to them wanting their components for a 17-inch product.....where as their old answer might have been "we only offer these sizes, so change your device to conform to our components".......their new answer might "We'll gladly cut that for you"

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Marty and stoneseeker like this.
  3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

We need to remember that Wacom Components gang works fairly independent of Wacom product gang. They will make you a custom component if you pay them enough. It's just that it will have to be UD or AES based and not DTK/DTH which is exclusive to Wacom product gang.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

This is not true and has never been true. Samsung's contribution to Wacom's income at the peak of the Galaxy Note sales was more or less equal to Wacom's income from the Intuos line, about a third. It's a lot, but it's not "the bulk", and it's heavily dependent on the launch of a new Galaxy Note device which doesn't always happen every year, and when it doesn't happen it goes down significantly.

This is the result of Wacom deciding to be a technology solutions company after it saw how much more income it can generate from technology solution sales which by now eclipses any income they generate with their own devices and grew 40% a year. With the Cintiq Companion and MobileStudio Pro making about 5% of their income and creating a lot of expenditure (manufacturing, customer service, technical support) it's almost a no-brainer to focus on technology solutions.

Basically they want to be Intel of the digital pen market with Microsoft being their AMD. Their only problem is the real Intel actually stepping into the game with USI, but that appears to be floundering because Intel wants to sell its own expensive controllers to go along with USI. Time will tell if Intel relaxes their grip on USI the same way they relaxed their grip on Thunderbolt 3.

YVerloc and Marty like this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd be interested in someone clarifying this... The Gateway c-140x is a circa 2007 device and accuracy in those machines is horrendous - and I believe they were limited to 256 levels and the HP zbook touts 4096.
    Using older tablets almost had me give up on screen-drawn digital art but I have found the zbook far more accurate around the edges (not quite a rock solid as the Apple iPads I've tested) than any of my old Asus / Fujitsu / Toshiba and HP 2760p machines.

As a purchaser, I would feel cheated if Wacom were continuing to put substandard 10+ year old digitiser technology into very expensive customer machines. Hate on the over-expensive Apple iPad Pro 12.9 as much as you want - as least you know they're putting highly accurate and modern tech into their devices. It would certainly have an impact on recommendations I make when people ask me what they should buy. I've spent my money on a zbook - however I am certainly capable of influencing a large number of potential buyers in my current students and ex students.

Having sold off / auctioned my old tablets, I can't now check old pens on the zbook - has anyone else with a zbook tried?

6. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

This was true until around 2014 or so. With the advent of the new EMR and AES, this is no longer the case. Technically all Wacom EMR is the same technology but the new EMR is no longer "substandard" and much improved with regard to edge accuracy and air gap between the LCD and the surface of the display.

YVerloc and doobiedoobiedum like this.
  7. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks, what would you suspect is in the HP zbook x2 G4 models? If we return to the subject of the thread too, if the Acer Concept D9 is using a lower quality digitiser (that still seems to add around $1000 to the price over the finger touch but very similar Acer Triton Predator) then it is vapourware in my eyes.
    The promise of a machine advertised as being for creatives would be false.

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's not that clear cut, imo. Going by slides 17-19 in the second pdf link:

[​IMG]

Depending on the quarter, either their "Brand business" (magenta, yellow, green) or their "Tech solutions business" (blue) may overtake one another.

But averaged over time, they make up roughly equal potions of Wacom's revenue over the past 3 years. So I would say Wacom views both their 1st party products (MSP/Cintiq/Intuos) as well as 3rd-party component businesses with equal importance.

They have ideas of building a pen eco-system, but not the expertise to implement it. So they mostly play a reactive strategy to changing trends in the market and specific customer requests.

9. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The shift happened in 2018. Data from 2018 and earlier is before Wacom decided to pursue its technology solutions sales. What you see in 2015/2016/2017 is the Galaxy Note business. From now on, Wacom plans to supply a lot more devices with their pens.

10. carnageX12

carnageX12 Pen Pal - Newbie

This machine looks like a beast, and I think having the 17.3 inch EMR screen with those specs is freakin sweet. That potential price though, means I would only get it on sale or used. Of course who knows when that will be, it took Acer what, 1.5 years to release the Switch 7 after announcement, and this thing literally has concept in the title.

stoneseeker likes this.