Acer ConceptD 9 easel notebook (2019)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Cuberdon75, Apr 11, 2019.

1. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

[QUOTE="stoneseeker, post: 534673, member: 32591] "FINALLY A WORTHY SUCCESSOR TO MY AGING T902!![/QUOTE]

A worthy heir to the T902 throne can only mean one thing.

We have finally reached the future.

Though, honest to God, pinch me, am I dreaming? Where the f did this tank of a beast come from, and how did they get Wacom to support a 17.3 inch device? Who could have possibly seen this coming?

What this device allow ergonomically or in a work flow since that other devices do not allow? I guess a rich artist can now work a bit more easily while traveling. He must be at a desk to use the device though. Does it allow anything else?

I guess a "portable" 17.3 wacom EMR screen has been in the dreams of artists for 20 years or whatever.

Acer: "Hey can we use EMR for a 17.3 device?"

Wacom: "Won't that cannibalize our wacom cintiq sales?"

Acer "No,no, no- We'll make it cost 5k$ so just a few rich people will buy it"

Wacom: "Holy. Jesus. - Fine"

Samsung: "Wait, wait you mean we don't have Wacom exclusive rights?"

Microsoft "Well we are stuck with N-trig by legacy"

stoneseeker likes this.
  2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's not $5K just because of the Wacom digitiser, if you look at the almost identical Acer Predator Triton, that is $4K - yes you could argue we'd be charged $1K for a 17 inch Wacom digitiser and pen but it is a hugely powerful successor to the Fujitsu t902.

paprikaleapt likes this.
  3. paprikaleapt

I guess you're right. You could argue the device could double as a gaming device, no?

I'm quite pleased the device exists- it means someday years from now I may be able to buy one. It's weight probably means it's not useful for me in to lug around classes but I am just dying to try out a '17.3 inch 4k Wacom EMR display'. I mean, how can all those words even be in the same sentence? That alone makes this thing great

Also! I have found a solution to the cost. If we just buy the galaxy fold, huawei foldable, and fully spec'd ipp12.9 on top of it, the 5k will not seem so bad.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    dellaster likes this.
  4. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Rationalized like a true TPCRer. Bravo! :thumbsup:

Marty likes this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

I follow your thinking... buy a galaxy fold, open it out fully then buy a Huawei foldable, open that up fully and then buy an iPad Pro 12.9 and duck tape them all together and you might have something that is as good as a $5K Wacom EMR tablet...

But what if the instructions got wrong and someone tapes them all together as a block rather than side by side?

foldable 3.jpg

Hmmm... actually, thinking about that maybe there IS a market for a double sided pressure sensitive screen?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    thatcomicsguy and stoneseeker like this.
  6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

A worthy heir to the T902 throne can only mean one thing.

We have finally reached the future.

Though, honest to God, pinch me, am I dreaming? Where the f did this tank of a beast come from, and how did they get Wacom to support a 17.3 inch device? Who could have possibly seen this coming?

[/QUOTE]

haha yeah, though you bring up a really good point that hadn't crossed my mind yet, is this the first EMR screen of this size ever? Obviously in tablets and convertibles it is the first, but even cintiqs and the mobile studio's don't have this size... I think the mobile studio pro at 16" is the closest. There is bigger of course, but 17" is a first to my knowledge.

That means Acer paid a hefty penny to have a custom large size made specifically for this product, which is pretty impressive. You could argue that the HP ZBook X2 is most likely a similar scenario (it too is EMR after all) but its easy to imagine they were using existing panels that had at least seen a manufacturing run previous due to the more common size of screen.

Either way it is a tank of a convertible and the first one that solidly dethrones the T902 in every regard (except for the modular bay, but I'm not expecting that from any machines in the future). ZBook X2 is also a solid contender before this, but the fact its a detachable rather than a convertible and a pinch smaller made it feel a little less like a true replacement in every sense.

Pretty exciting time for tabletPC lovers!

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. paprikaleapt

Deleted message

8. paprikaleapt

1. Stoneseeker's final form (avatar) is a rock shaped tear drop?

2. Sir, I invite you on a thought experiment:

"How many ipad mini 5's could a hungry Acer ConceptD 9 eat?"

9. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

haha yeah, though you bring up a really good point that hadn't crossed my mind yet, is this the first EMR screen of this size ever? Obviously in tablets and convertibles it is the first, but even cintiqs and the mobile studio's don't have this size... I think the mobile studio pro at 16" is the closest. There is bigger of course, but 17" is a first to my knowledge.

That means Acer paid a hefty penny to have a custom large size made specifically for this product, which is pretty impressive. You could argue that the HP ZBook X2 is most likely a similar scenario (it too is EMR after all) but its easy to imagine they were using existing panels that had at least seen a manufacturing run previous due to the more common size of screen.

Either way it is a tank of a convertible and the first one that solidly dethrones the T902 in every regard (except for the modular bay, but I'm not expecting that from any machines in the future). ZBook X2 is also a solid contender before this, but the fact its a detachable rather than a convertible and a pinch smaller made it feel a little less like a true replacement in every sense.

Pretty exciting time for tabletPC lovers![/QUOTE]

Wouldn't it be a kick in the teeth if it turned out that the answer to you question is that they didn't get a 17.3" digitizer - if it's only pen sensitive in a 15 or 16 inch region in the center of the screen? I've been waiting for this beast for so long I seriously wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a fly in the ointment somewhere.

stoneseeker likes this.
  10. doobiedoobiedum

I think the good thing is that there are now a variety of options in this size and while I would never ever buy a Surface Studio - its very existence has encouraged manufacturers to take the creative market seriously with laptop workstations of this size.