Acer ConceptD 9 easel notebook (2019)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Cuberdon75, Apr 11, 2019.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

What pen tech did that Panasonic use? Did that even ever come out?

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It was wacky optical based tracking pen. It had a big hump near the tip. I used it at CES when it was introduced. That giant thing was thermally gasping for cooling and everything was running super slow so unsurprisingly the pen was a mess.

bloodycape, YVerloc and WillAdams like this.
  3. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh I remember it! I wrote them and BEGGED them to release one with a wacom digitizer instead of that weird camera-pen thing.

A used panasonic mega tablet might be a great machine to try to mod. It's got an 20 inch 4k screen and the power supply to run it. Maybe pop the case open, upgrade as many of the internals as possible, find a wacom board to sandwich behind the screen (and give up one of the USB ports to run it), and pop the whole thing back into a custom 3d printed enclosure.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's really hard to retro-shove EMR digitizer into a tablet it's not designed for. It's far easier to replace it with AES or NTrig digitizer since they go on top of the display, not under the lighting assembly under the LCD.

Also I think the cooling inside of it was really poor. I think they were using a ULV CPU and it was COOKING when I used it...

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

That's interesting, I would have though having that much surface area, thermals on this would have been good. I wonder if using different thermal paste would have helped even lower it 5 degrees.

6. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Can't find it in the specs, is the display 8-bit or 10-bit per channel color?

7. YVerloc

I remember a bunch of DIY Cintiqs back in the day that were just a laptop screen laid right on top of a intuous digitizer. Some of them pulled the digitizer out of the Wacom enclosure and packed the screen and the digitizer board and other assorted guts inside a home brew enclosure. So It doesn’t seem super hard, although I do recall that a lot of these diy cintiqs had problems shielding the digitizer board from interference.

I was thinking that a custom enclosure would increase the headroom above the circuit boards for better thermals. For simplicity, i’d also just glue the ‘bottom plate’ of the existing enclosure into the inside of the new one, with all the hardware still attached - so I wouldn’t have to fabricate all the bosses and ribs the actual hardware is mounted on. Just holes for the ports and vents.

Unless, somehow, the existing ten point touchscreen was high enough res to just use directly with an AES pen. Then I’d just do that.

thatcomicsguy and Marty like this.
  8. YVerloc

It’s all moot though, as there doesn’t appear to be any such thing as a second hand Toughbook 4K. eBay comes up empty. I wouldn’t be too surprised if you could count all the units they sold worldwide on your fingers and toes.

9. YVerloc

I’m pretty sure it had a polycarbonate enclosure, not metal. In fact I think the case was carbon fibre. Metal would dissipate heat better but add weight.

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Keep in mind there were actually 3 versions released as far as I can tell:
    I think the fact that Panasonic bothered refreshing the tablet (a major refresh too) suggests this wasn't the absolute flop that everyone thinks it was...and there are probably more units floating around, especially with 3 models to choose from.

Any one of those might be suited for eBay hunting, but man if you snag the one with HDMI input, you might actually be able to mod this into a true Cintiq while you're at it! :thumbsup:

Btw if you pull this off BongoFish style, you are my hero!

YVerloc likes this.