Acer ConceptD 9 easel notebook (2019)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Cuberdon75, Apr 11, 2019.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

ahh, I didn't realize that. I hope that's not the case, -or if it is-, that it is sturdy and easy to draw on that angle.

2. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

I’m rewatching the announcement video again right now, and it definitely looks like it doesn’t fold down flat in slate mode. It looks like the culprits are protruding tabs on the hinge arms. In laptop mode the tabs mate with notches on the screen to keep the bottom of the screen from rotating outward. These tabs block the screen from laying flat in slate mode it seems. 5-10k is a bit of an expensive device to take a Dremel to, but I guess unicorns must be tamed before you can ride them.

Maybe disassembling the hinge is back in play after all.

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This thing is everything I want in a device. Only one more thing have to be confirmed before I start saving money for it:

IT NEEDS FEEL DRIVER SUPPORT

Without Feel driver, all the potential goes for nothing. Might as well be using AES pen on Elan panel.

Let me put it this way. Given the choice between EMR device without Feel driver (e.g. Samsung Notebook 9 Pro) and a AES device with Feel driver, I'll choose the AES device EVERY. DAMN. TIME.

Acer, stick the landing and secure the proper Feel driver for this thing.

stoneseeker and thatcomicsguy like this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes but the UK price is always the same number in sterling. £4999 will come to $6,538.66

Personally I agree with YVerloc on this - for what it offers, it's a really compettive machine for those who are going to use this in a professional sphere. As long as the drivers can be updated.

If you watch the video @Marty posted on another thread - the screen can flip backwards so that you just have a monitor screen.

1.20 seconds to 1.36 seconds if I understand your concerns.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  5. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

I feel you.

doobiedoobiedum and Shogmaster like this.
  6. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey shoggie, can you summarize what the main advantages of the feel driver are, to you?

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I watched their slate mode closely again too, and actually so long as it feels solid as a rock in that position, I got no issues with it. If anything the angle could be ideal when I take it out to draw but forget my stand, its better than a perfectly flat device to draw on at least. Certainly no one will ever be trying to draw on this while holding it with the other hand like a slate. At least for my use case in ergonomics, I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.

Feel driver support is my only real world concern right now... well that and I want to see it go through the paces and not be hamstrung by terrible thermals. Though I don't think the Tritons or Predators are known to have had these issues recently, so I'm optimistic about thermals.

WillAdams likes this.
  8. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes, the £3999 Acer Predator Triton 900 has been out a few weeks now - some even on sale here in the UK so I think the £4999 Concept D9 is not vapourware.
    Apparently the Predator Triton 900 thermals are pretty good - ventilation slots everywhere and 2 x 3D fans.

Funny: the Predator Triton 900 uses the same form factor as the Concept D9 which lacks the LED lights but has the Wacom digitiser. Nice to see Windows machines going the other way from thin and light to compete with iPads and MacBook Airs so that power becomes the focus.

YVerloc and WillAdams like this.
  9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Think again, compadré! :D
    [​IMG]

Remember this beast? Everyone knows that's how you hold a real tablet!

(No but seriously, I hold all my tablets cradled, though in portrait. :))

stoneseeker and WillAdams like this.
  10. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Let's not even talk about the mapping of the side barrel buttons.

It comes down to the simple fact that without the Feel driver, mapping of the pressure curve to that Wacom pen is simply not optimal.

You can simply switch back between Wacom's pressure curve mapping and Microsoft's if you use something like Clip Studio Paint that let's you go back and forth between the pen drivers. Night and day.

A pen with pressure curve mapping not suited for it is terrible experience, no matter how good the hardware and the art software being used is.

YVerloc likes this.