Acer ConceptD 9 easel notebook (2019)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Cuberdon75, Apr 11, 2019.

1. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I guess the Acer Aspire R13 (iirc) lives on. I actually considered buying that 2-3 years ago, but it was finally revealed to use Synaptics at the time, so it was vague who exactly the machine was being marketed towards. In the commercial, they actually showcased it being used by a hotel concierge as one possible use.

This... doesn't look good to me at any level. You'll be reaching over the mandatory keyboard all the time to draw unless you position the easel at the lowest angle. I did that for a while on a Duo13 and it wasn't so hot, but at least on that machine, they had squashed the keyboard down a little. If I had to use the ConceptD, I can promise you I'd end up having the easel clamped all the way down and putting it on a cheap stand 90% of the time, and pair it up with a bluetooth hotkey peripheral.

The last thing I have to call out for now is the display. An IPS panel at $5000. Is it even impressive anymore that it has 100% Adobe RGB? We had devices that were very close to that back in 2015 for less than half the price. It would be fine if someone educates me by saying the line between LCD and OLED can actually be blurred if the LCD is tricked out with all the latest features (the full gamut, HDR, etc). In fact, this may be going down the rabbit hole, but this could be a sign for us that the engineers have found that OLED isn't ready for EMR devices and it will be more LCD for 2019-2020 instead of the OLED variants or MicroLED (I know the latter is is said to be so expensive that it won't begin to be consumer grade until like 2021).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  2. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree. I can't quite figure out the ergonomics. The monitor seems to be stable enough to draw on only when blocked by the keyboard part of the device at nearly 90 degrees.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe they were thinking almost completely about video and photo-editors. I just got a different glimpse of the keyboard in a different vid and it has a huge touchpad on the right hand side. Maybe this is for Houdini gurus and gamers, and the pen is basically just there as another way to manipulate your nodes and other GUI elements.

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I wouldn't go that far...if anything, the Galaxy Book and Galaxy Tab S series have shown OLED panels do pair nicely with EMR digitizers. Someone just needs to do this for the new 15.6" Samsung OLED panels, and we've got a sleeper hit in the making.

It'll happen eventually, if not by 3rd parties like Wacom/HP, then by Samsung themselves. We just need that time-tested virtue all TPCRers got: Patience! ;)

neongolden likes this.
  5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I don't get what people exactly find so good about oled displays.
    I mean, my most recent devices have been a Galaxy Book 12 and a Surface Book 2 and the latter had by far the best display between the two.

YVerloc and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. Marty

Are you asking me, specifically why I like OLED displays? Or for people in general?

If it's for the general consumer, your guess is as good as mine, but if it's for me, then I can say it's mostly because I do design and coding work at night or in dim lighting, and I prefer dark mode UI schemes. Very dark. ;)

In this environment, OLED gives the greatest text and fine line clarity with the least amount of eye-strain, because:

a) there is no light bleed and/or distracting backlight glow;
    b) contrast can remain extremely high, while absolute brightness remains very low.

It's not that I don't appreciate a good IPS panel (and the Surface Pro/Book have great ones), but only OLED offers this combination for me.

YVerloc, thatcomicsguy and Azzart like this.
  7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I was referring obviously to people in general. :)
    My experience with oled displays comes only with the Galaxy Book and Galaxy Note 8 and... both are nothing special.
    The Note 8 suffers from blacks crushing, so any colour under a certain level of darkness is displayed as pure black. Awful.
    The Galaxy Book instead didn't show enough levels of black in the lower end of the spectrum by default. Problem is when you changed brightness/contrast parameters with the Intel panel the display started showing some very ugly spots of lighter areas across the screen.
    So you either had a good range of blacks or a uniform display.
    Both have been underwhelming thus far.

8. Marty

Much of the problem you describe is a symptom of poor EOTF calibration in the display internal LUT (see "SMPTE ST2084 EOTF curve", SpectraCal, page 4).

One thing that may give you hope is the new 15.6" OLED panels come HDR10-certified, which has far stricter requirements on the EOTF tracking.

These new panels seem to be going into higher volume shipments to multiple vendors, so you'll start to see differentiation in the panel controllers: the new breed of pro-art focused laptops should have much better tuning than typical consumer devices. But even for consumer-grade devices, HDR certification is a game changer.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Azzart likes this.
  9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I'm a bit confused by this criticism, I mean is there an example of a tablet PC convertible that lets you draw and use the built in keyboard at the same time effectively? I suppose detachables circumvent this somewhat, but I mean what you describe is exactly what I have done with the T902 for years, I plug my G13 in for all my shortcuts, throw it in slate mode and toss it on my cooler master laptop stand. I would never attempt to draw over the screen while the screen was up, that's why it spins around? The keyboard is just there for when you need it as a regular laptop which is nice, but I think its safe to say they expect us to use a bluetooth keyboard or shortcut device for when we are full on drawing...

Maybe detachable is a more elegant solution for lesser machines, but I don't know if they could have easily packed this kind of workstation horsepower in a detachable. That often brings thermal compromises so close to the screen or means sacrificing power while in drawing mode (storing the GPU in the keyboard etc).

I'm curious how you would you prefer this designed without sacrificing power in each setting and thermals? I'm happy to carry another bluetooth keyboard with me and have this no-compromise solution. It's not like this sort of machine is meant to be lugged around minimalist style a-la Surface or iPad.

I agree it's overpriced and battery life will most likely be horrendous (like gaming laptop beasts), but those are the kind of compromises I am SO happy to make to get my workstation/gaming tabletPC that can actually replace the need for a traditional desktop/cintiq scenario.

YVerloc likes this.
  10. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Amen to that. If I had money to burn I’d take the risk of disassembling the hinge and somehow fabricating a ‘wastband’ that would seal it up as a pure slate (with apertures for port access and thermals of course). I was daydreaming about how to do this very operation on the monstrously ugly triton 900 when they announced the conceptD, and the conceptD just pretty enough that I’ll leave it alone, I think. But it will definitely spend its whole life in slate mode.

However, I’m not certain that it /has/ a slate mode. The videos look like it doesn’t fold all the way flat. I hope this isn’t the case