Acer ConceptD 9 easel notebook (2019)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Cuberdon75, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Hannibalj2

Hannibalj2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have seen some of your work, pretty sick stuff man! I dabble on VR, but not a developer. I am working on something simple as a demo. I will mainly focus on the wide FOV headsets like the StarVR One, Pimax 8K X. Looking forward to try out the soon to be released Vive pro 2 with the 2.5k displays.

Los Angeles, I tend to work for Warner Brothers, another of my project was announced yesterday (Long Halloween Part 2)
    About cost, well tricky. The ConceptD 9 is discontinued, and only the "Pro" still available, but not in the USA. Acer USA still have one unit that is non pro for $4,500. I paid $6,000 although I could have purchased it for $5,800 two months ago. The reason for the price increase is that all computer manufacturer are starting to rise the prices due to component shortages. The ConceptD 9 "Pro" which is the one I want due to the 16GB GPU ram and the matte screen surface can not be found on the USA. I found some re- sellers in the UK and Germany. I purchased mine from Acer Taiwan.

If any of you thought that it was an Unicorn, then it will be more of a Unicorn now since it will be phased out soon. Also, not likely to see discounts on the remaining stock. 6k is a lot of money for sure, but at the same time I have owned the First Gen Mobile studio pro since December 2016, for us working professionals it will pay for itself. If I was just a hobbyist then it wouldn't make any sense.

There is something I will mention regarding specs. Acer now is focused on the ConceptD 7 and 3. The 7 does have the option for the RTX 5000 and 10th gen cpu. The GPU on the ConceptD 9 Pro is the full wattage mobile card, meaning 150+ watts. Most all other laptops are carrying the 110 watts or Max Q which wattage is even less. The ConceptD 9 will substantially outperform the ConceptD 7 and many others carrying the lower wattage cards. For me it was important to have the full wattage card variant, because Headset like the Pimax 8K X with dual 4k displays will be quite demanding

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    stoneseeker and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. Hannibalj2

3. Hannibalj2

Correction to the review below. The Concept D is capable of 64GB max not 32GB

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  4. Hannibalj2

The ConceptD9 Pro ARRIVED!!:)

stoneseeker likes this.
  5. Hannibalj2

Ugh Terrible, I can not find wacom drivers for this. The pen acts line a mouse. No pen drivers on the Acer support page. WTH?!

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

hmm, have you tried Wacom's driver page and tried there up to date Windows driver for pen computers? Its worth a shot. If it doesn't work try older versions they keep backlogged to see if any of them work? Was this the stock version of windows that came with D9pro? all windows updates have finished? is there any acer bloatware that helps you track down drivers and updates directly from their servers?

Attached Files:

7. Hannibalj2

It came with Won 10, and all updates are up to date. Nothing works so far