Acer ConceptD 9 easel notebook (2019)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Cuberdon75, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Lilawyn

Lilawyn Pen Pal - Newbie

Aw nuts, that wasn't the case the first two times I read the review. The reviewer spent most of their time harping on about how truly awful the keyboard for the ConceptD 9 was (the "6" and "9" keys were intermittently not working, which they found unconscionable on such an expensive machine, and I kind of agree, but they couldn't draw many conclusions from that since the problem could have simply been with their particular unit, rather than "Acer cheaps out on the keyboard for the whole line".)

Beyond that, their review wasn't too in-depth, as they weren't an artist, or an architect, or really into any of the activities that the laptop is billed for. So there was no word about how the laptop performed with the Adobe Suite, or 4K video rendering, or other highly intensive tasks. There wasn't a wealth of information about how the screen performed (aside from "good"), how the hinge performed (aside from the fact that it existed, and you could pull the screen forward), or what the penfeel was like drawing/taking notes, or what drivers are available for the unit.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    stoneseeker and WillAdams like this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...what the penfeel was like drawing/taking notes...>>

This is one of the things that I find most disappointing about pretty much all reviewers. On a product like this, the fact that nothing gets written is a perfect illustration of how little appreciation these people have for why the product exists in the first place!

YVerloc, bloodycape and Lilawyn like this.
  3. Lilawyn

Lilawyn Pen Pal - Newbie

So weirdly enough, I was able to access the full text of the Acer ConceptD 9 review on the Financial Review when I found it through Google again today. The link from the forum gave me & others so many problems yesterday, so here's the review in full:

Notice how the sum total of the review is it is "brilliant" in Photoshop. Well that's informative. :p

WillAdams likes this.
  4. Lilawyn

Lilawyn Pen Pal - Newbie

stoneseeker likes this.
  5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

$6640 CAD plus taxes and probably a hefty duty/border fee.
    I would never thought I'd have been tempted by such a ludicrous price, but I definitely salivated a little...

I curbed my need by purchasing my second EVER cellphone, as my Note Edge just gave up turning on after 5 years use. I got the Note 10+. I feel like I'm in mobile future heaven or something, though my wallet is asking why I needed to burn $1400 CAD (after taxes) on a freaking cellphone. It's an expensive year to be a tech enthusiast!

WillAdams, bloodycape and Lilawyn like this.
  6. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

End of year Xmas sale..... The zbooks have been ridiculously cheap at BHphotovideo every Xmas. The price of the ConceptD 9 (non-pro) to me suggests a very cheap sale in November / December.

Your wallet probably told you you can connect your Note 10+ to the Wacom One for out and about drawing....

Lilawyn likes this.
  7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Lord Beelzebub give me strength....

Lilawyn and stoneseeker like this.
  8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Interesting! Though I might as well just rock my old T902 for out and about if I'm gonna lug something around.

Lilawyn likes this.
  9. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was torn between the MobileStudio Pro 16 and the ZBook X2 to replace my aging, weak Fujitsu T902 (dual-cores do not cut it nowadays, and Intel graphics always sucked the life out of every Tablet PC on the market then), and now I find out that Acer was hiding THIS thing under my nose all along?

This is practically my dream laptop! It has a REAL GPU for proper gaming and VR performance (my desktop only has a GTX 980, an RTX 2080 is twice as fast in VR!), it's got a Wacom EMR digitizer backing a massive 17" 4K IPS wide-gamut screen, it's got that nifty Ezel hinge, and if I can get over that weird right Shift placement, the keys are said to feel a lot better than your typical laptop keyboard.

In other words, it's a laptop that might actually not have me missing my desktop every time I leave home for once.

9 pounds? Don't care, vintage laptops used to be that heavy anyway, I just need something that can be taken from desk to desk, and used from the comfort of one's own bed.

$5,000? I thankfully got a new job last month, I can spare that in a few months. Consider it one of my goals to get my hands on this laptop in some form before year's end, just so I can properly evaluate its pen performance on top of everything else.

In the meantime, any of you who can manage to buy one of these things, keep us posted. I still don't know the pen's frequency compatibility (UD/Penabled or DTK?) or driver set (hopefully the "professional" driver with per-app settings that the Cintiq Companion/MobileStudio Pro and ZBook X2 use), ease of calibration around the edges (I'll be damned if this thing holds edge accuracy like the old Gateway C-140XL and Fujitsu T901 did), weird palm rejection jank (every T902 owner knows full well what I mean by that)… the things most tech reviewers seeing a laptop wouldn't know to look out for, while instead complaining about the fat bezels on the screen.

I wish I was joking about that, but one such YouTube reviewer was already like that, while also admitting he wasn't an artist - because if he was, I'm sure he would've appreciated having a little something to rest his hand on while using the pen at the very edges. At least he's enough of an artist to know how to doodle a Porygon.

stoneseeker, Lilawyn and YVerloc like this.
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Dave2D seems impressed (and as always, even though he is not an artist, he does his homework and gets all the digitizer points right):

Really glad Acer is increasing the visibility of this thing with popular tech reviewers. A good sign for thr future of the ConceptD line. ;)

Steve S, Lilawyn and stoneseeker like this.