Acer ConceptD 9 easel notebook (2019)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Cuberdon75, Apr 11, 2019.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Any update? that purchase page has disappeared and just brings up a 404 error now...

YVerloc likes this.
  2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think someone has money burning a hole in their pocket!

The ConceptD 9 Pro is now on the UK Acer page but there's nowhere you can actually buy it from.?

For me, and following comments by Darkmagistric on our experience carrying the 14 inch zbook around - the ConceptD 9 Pro is not going to be something you can easily chug to work and back in a backpack, forget going down the coffee shop regularly with it too unless you have yourself a sherpa to carry it for you.

3. stoneseeker

The weight doesn't bother me at all, I don't mind packing 9lbs of glorious unicorn around with me, -even to a coffee shop,- though at that size it certainly gets tougher to find a reasonable large enough area to work if you are in public spaces. Sure you wouldn't crank this thing out in the airplane, but for doing remote work sessions (assuming there is a power supply where you want to go) I wouldn't take any issue with lugging it around. My T902 is 5.5lbs with the 2nd battery and I always thought it felt like a thin and light when compared to all my old beastly 17" laptops. I'm fairly fit and on the larger side at 6'0 and 180lbs, so that may contribute to my lack of concern.

No money burning a hole in my pocket. We are saving for our first home, so this is still looking like a long term vicarious-living-through-someone-else kind of unicorn... ;)

doobiedoobiedum, YVerloc and thierryb like this.
  4. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

If you're someone who has to work onsite in a variety of client studios, the key idea is luggability rather than portability. Moving my old 21ux and desktop tower used to require a car trunk!

I packed my old 17 inch macbook pro to and from my office every day on foot. It seemed perfectly fine to me, although i understand that it would be harder for folks who are elderly and frail, or disabled. But these people aren't packing a cintiq pro and a tower back and forth either so its a moot point.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

:p

Ya got me to a "T!"

I remember a similar discussion about holding the old Toshiba M400 in your arms for drawing - I like to hold my screen up to draw - especially if I'm drawing or painting "en plain air" and I doubt anyone is going to be holding this beast up for that kind of drawing experience.

I can happily draw out and around with my zbook screen or an A3 sketchbook but not a combination of the two (or even heavier) for sketching or painting.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  6. LoVe

LoVe Pen Pal - Newbie

Delivered

Upon opening the box, I felt very confident in this shipment's protection. Two layers of Sealed Air Instapak Foam packaging on the front, two more layers on the back, one on the top, one on the bottom, and red foam-like boards on the remaining two sides. The ConceptD 9 is cradled within the product box itself by cardboard mounting (not pictured).

upload_2020-1-3_21-20-31.png

We're still becoming familiar, but my early impressions are:

• Build/Design: Sturdy, all metal case—even the bottom (but it will scratch if slid over the spine of a storage chest's hinge ... oops!). I've done a cursory test of all eleven ports; they function as expected. The design is elegant, simple, and useful. The inside deck's pinhole vent likely allows more airflow than Triton 900's fins with glass window design—but mindfulness of nearby liquids (even wet hands) and debris is advisable. Triton 900's stowaway USB port might've reduced aesthetics, but could've been useful. ConceptD 9's logos are small and unobtrusive. The one etched on the display's backside is subtle (sibling didn't even notice). I removed the stickers without much hassle.
    • Display/Hinge: Gorgeous matte monitor. Comes calibrated (pdf test report placed on desktop). No pixel problems. No/minimal backlight bleed. Bezels surround, but as others note, are useful whilst grasping a drawing tablet. Adjustable screen angles are versatile and stable. Magnetically returns to 'laptop mode' with satisfying and secure *thud*.
    • Camera/Microphones/Speakers: Meh. I have external equipment for these purposes, so would've bought this even if it had none. They'll serve adequately for test applications, relaxed video calls, and some casual purposes (as is the norm for most laptops).
    • Keyboard/Mouse: Before buying, I thought the forward placement might be awkward. So far, my wrists feel supported enough on my lap or whichever surface the ConceptD 9 is resting upon. I like pulling the 17" screen closer while maintaining access to these inputs. As reviewed for Triton 900, the right "Shift" and "/?" are also placed oddly on ConceptD 9, requiring some relearning. Otherwise, its mechanical keyboard, on which I type now, is comfortable out-of-the-box. The clickety-clack feels nice, but will be heard in a quiet room. Before use, I wondered if the mouse was too small (65mmx95mm), but it comes well-configured to the system, cursor cruising with little effort. The double-tap numpad is quite clever. The left and right mouse buttons have some click, aren't mushy, and function as expected.
    • Connectivity: Fast WIFI and, more reliably so, Ethernet. This WIFI 6 card finds signals where other WIFI devices don't. I had cast ConceptD 9's screen via Bluetooth to a smart TV and was surprised by lack of lag.
    • Battery: I've only timed a few charges from full (100%) till drained (automatic power off @ ~7%), but found ConceptD 9 true to its claim of 2H30M. The few charges I've timed ranged from a little over 2 hours, to a bit past 3 hours. Note that I've yet to use this for intensive renderings, nor have I solely word processed/browsed text for hours. As such, some charge cycles will likely fall below 2 hours, while others could rise further above 3 hours. And yes, this charging adapter earns the title of BRICK.
    • Weight/Size: This is a wide, but relatively thin machine. It's also about 10 lbs. I don't mind—we find ourselves even more comfortable reclined in a hammock or on a couch than at a desk (which is also fine).
    • Pen experience: A two-buttoned pen is included, along with two duplicate plastic nibs, and removal tool. This full-sized pen fits and feels well to the hand. The single flat side magnetically attaches to the screen's top-right corner. Said attachment holds securely for transport between rooms, but likely won't for farther travels or commutes. Digitizer input is accurate to all edges of display. It draws along a straight edge without wobble, has no perceptible pen lag, and pressure sensitivity seems spot on.
    Though early impressions, they give a glimpse into this magical machine! Oh—fun too!

ConceptD 9 + Included Accessories:

upload_2020-1-3_21-14-24.png

May this tool allow me to draw dreams into reality.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  7. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

thanks for the unboxing/review!
    i’m jazzed
    that power brick isn’t to scale, yeah?

Lilawyn likes this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@LoVe : Very nice! Will be interested to hear about the battery life and drawing experience once you've had time to get acclimated...

Lilawyn likes this.
  9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

OMG IT'S REAL!!!!

Lilawyn likes this.
  10. stoneseeker

@LoVe thankyou for the in depth first impressions, it sounds like the unicorn many of us always dreamed of! Very nice to hear they nailed the EMR implementation without the pen wandering at the edges too much or any wobbles. Man this thing looks like it might be a once in a generation sort of niche. At that price and in this market I'd be shocked if Acer made a second version of these, but here is hoping that some large studios buy a tonne of them and give Acer incentive to keep making this kind of stuff.

I still find it so strange that you managed to sneak a purchase in such a tiny window before they removed the page completely! So odd. Must have had only a few units available to retail in Canada, assuming most consumers wouldn't shell out that kind of dough...

this is interesting, B&H now lists the non-pro version (RTX 2080) for pre-order. I wasn't sure if they scrapped the non-pro or not... for a lot of people the RTX might be the better pick, the PRO quatro is probably overkill for most applications. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...IS7kzNhrH1s-HXYG9uzOvVkaAmsSEALw_wcB&pcur=CAD

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020