Acer ConceptD 9 easel notebook (2019)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Cuberdon75, Apr 11, 2019.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

70f78870e958aab1d0827743c3ae3ab4.jpg

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. LoVe

LoVe Pen Pal - Newbie

If any are interested:

Some hours ago, I was able to order the ConceptD 9 on Acer Canada's online store. (https://store.acer.com/en-ca/conceptd-9-laptop-nx-c4laa-001)

Over some months, I queried various Acer representatives, but ultimately found it "in stock" without any Canadian-specific ETA from them. Funnily, Acer's social media asked me to link them its location when told. To be fair, it seems to have been freshly released. It's still revealing that they've no advanced notice.

I was curious, so tried to add another to cart after purchase—"Product that you are trying to add is not available." & "Availability: Out of stock".

I asked if I scooped the only one. They responded not sure, and invited to confirm through the sales team @ 1-800-910-2237, which I haven't.

Subtotal was 5,999.99 CAD—but totalled 5,400 CAD (and some cents for EHF) after 10% discount (-600 CAD!). Tax was included?

A friendly live-chat rep gave me the discount code, but ever curious, I'm happy to share: I've found their codes freely available as daily deals on https://answersby.com/
    ("DEAL OF THE DAY" badge, left side of page)

I hope that helps!

[Update: "Scheduled delivery:Tuesday 12/31/2019 by end of day"]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    YVerloc, stoneseeker and Marty like this.
  3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Haven't done a price comparison yet for a Wacom Cintiq 16 inch Pro and desktop running similar hardware to what I would get in a ConceptD.
    For me, a 17inch laptop becomes something I would use on a desk more than I would carry around and if I look at what I would pay in UK sterling - a Cintiq 24 Pro can now be bought for £1500 which means I would have £4200 left to build a desktop to run it....

So have Acer got the pricing and market wrong or are there people really willing to pay for this thing at the current proposed price?

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...So have Acer got the pricing and market wrong or are there people really willing to pay for this thing at the current proposed price?..>>

Time will tell, but it was no coincidence that, shortly after introducing the Z Canvas, VAIO went to fire sale pricing. I always thought that VAIO could have done a much better job with the introduction (was totally eclipsed by the Surface Pro 4 introduction, IIRC) and that if they had, the Z Canvas might have sold a lot better. In some ways (i.e., lack of advertising visibility in the market) it looks to me like Acer might be committing the same mistake, so maybe you will see better pricing in the not too distant future...!

stoneseeker and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

I remember the Z Canvas - the reviews pretty much said "don't buy it, no good for anything."

Ironic really seeing how the Surface Pro 4 has that n-trig problem and the Z Canvas was much more powerful but even this CNet article threw up issues including some with the Active Stylus.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...the reviews pretty much said "don't buy it, no good for anything."...>>

All I can say is that I found the Z Canvas to be a great device, and I think that VAIO didn't support it nearly well enough in the market. It was really a shame...

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I must say even for a social media tech site, that review is quite astonishing in the amount of rubbish info it packs in:

"The reality though is someone willing to spend at least $2,199 on a desktop replacement will be better off spending the same on a Surface Pro 4 with a dual-core i7 chip, 16GB of RAM, and 512GB of storage...with an equally great display, a much smaller frame, and way better battery life. It’s worth the 20% to 25% performance decrease, because at least the Surface Pro 4 works great as a typical media tablet too."

The screen is nowhere near "equally great": 95% Adobe RGB coverage on the VAIO, is still believe the highest color space IPS screen on a detachable, far higher than the 61% on the SP4.

And 20-25% performance differential? Uhhh... (honestly, do they literally pull this stuff out of their a**s? :confused:)

i7-6600U (4802 passmarks) vs i7-4770HQ (8961 passmarks), to give general idea of how vastly different the chips are:

(NotebookCheck)
    [​IMG]

47W quad-core vs 15W dual-core, Iris Pro 5200 vs HD 520, and even if we are looking a pure single-threaded sustained performance, they have same base/turbo frequencies, but the thermal engineering on the ZC is vastly superior.

And just in general, if the reviewer is recommending the SP4 in "desktop replacement" category (as 'better money spent' than the ZC to boot), clearly, they just don't understand the usecase of a mobile worktation.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  8. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

If this teardown is to be believed, looks like it should be easy to upgrade the RAM and SSDs.

thatcomicsguy and Marty like this.
  9. doobiedoobiedum

I take all your points - I didn't disagree but people do read reviews before putting cash down, reviews like that and possibly VAIO not supporting / marketing the product meant it didn't sell well at all.

Anyhow - sorry for derailing a thread on the ConceptD into one on the Canvas Z.

As I set out earlier, I couldn't imagine putting the kind of money down Acer are asking when I could spec up something more powerful, flexible and suited to my needs and still have spare cash for a weekend holiday somewhere pretty nice for the same money as the ConceptD.

10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

wow! A Canadian is the first reported forum buyer of the unicorn, this is surprising... I wasnt sure there would even be a direct Canadian Acer link to buy one. I just visited the site and it still says out of stock, which is super weird if you were able to buy one. Let us know if you were in fact the lucky buyer of the one and only Canadian edition of the Concept D 9! ;)