Acer ConceptD 9 easel notebook (2019)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Cuberdon75, Apr 11, 2019.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Wow, think about what you're saying: 6 year old (?) technology is still cutting it, keeping you from changing your main tool until something "just right" comes out. And to think, you're considering spending $6K US to replace a machine that probably cost you, what, $1,500 in around 2013. Of course, they're very different devices and the ConceptD is (purportedly) a very special offering. But one does begin to wonder, what - other than far, far, far better displays and better, though still disappointing, energy usage - has really improved in all these years and, while on the subject, what has gotten worse - onboard ports, keyboards and audio come to mind - has actually gotten worse?

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I know, if it weren't for the strip down the right side that stopped responding to pen, the T902 would still be the same awesome beast as the day I bought it. To be fair though I custom configured it straight off the Fujitsu website (the only way to get it in Canada when it first came out) with minimum RAM and minimum drive options and bought an affordable 500GB SSD and 16gigs of RAM to stick in it and my total cost after upgrades and everything was $3100 CAD, so it was no small investment either. I remember there were deals on the T902 later on its life but I believe they were mostly in the states only and I would have had to wait a year or so.

But yea it has paid itself off numerous times thats for sure. I mostly use my cintiq and desktop at my desk now which is why Im in no rush to replace it, but every once in a while I use it for work and I'm always impressed with its performance. The screen feels pretty cramped to me now though, especially for large paintings.

I agree not as much has improved as how much has gotten worse. Sure things have gotten thinner and lighter, but at what cost? Far less machines give you the option to update anything yourself, even the battery and RAM... port options are definitely lacking now as you say, and performance sort of hit a ceiling in relative terms. My T902 can still keep up with the demands of any CPU and RAM based workflow and many current ULV machines can burst to fast speeds as needed but often fail miserably at maintaining a high clock speed in a work scenario. T902 would throttle at the slightest taxing of the onboard GPU, but when it came to CPU stuff and using after effects it always puts up an impressive fight at staying just above base clocks for hours of hard work.

lovelaptops likes this.
  3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm pretty glad I settled for the $950 Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15 on clearance at Best Buy. It's a huge step up from T902. It even handles ZBrush well. I am happy.

I had about $5K saved for ConceptD 9 but at the end of the day, couldn't justify it, even if it was available for purchase.

stoneseeker and lovelaptops like this.
  4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

That is truly impressive. Sorry if you reported this before, but I'm presuming at that price it has 8gb/256gb RAM/storage - yes? The key follow-up is, can you replace/upgrade either?

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Actually it was 16GB with RX540 for $950. The 8GB without RX540 was about $100 more lol.