Acer ConceptD 9 easel notebook (2019)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Cuberdon75, Apr 11, 2019.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

They at least appear to be sticking to it at least in terms of marketing and engagement... Inno replied to me today:
    Annotation 2019-06-30 143651.png
    *UPDATE*
    Annotation 2019-06-30 145225.png

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    YVerloc and Marty like this.
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So does that mean you've gone back to your original position...

[​IMG]

Looking forward to your review. :D

3. stoneseeker

haha welll, more expenses in my life (babyyyyyyy) mean I can't just plop down that kind of money without serious consideration, but yeah its currently my dream machine of choice by a long shot. I am seeing some tempting deals for the ZBook to pop up on Ebay (still a fantastic looking machine as well), but still none available to me with the bigger 8th gen CPU's, which are the only ones I would dump the money on now. I may have to wait for the Concept D to go down in price or catch it on Ebay later, or maybe even order to my friends in Seattle if the US price is way lower, etc.

Marty likes this.
  4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow, you'd eBay this thing?

Above a certain price-point (~$2-3K) for a primary machine, the risk of warranty issues from "unauthorized reseller", "lack of official invoice", etc. just becomes too high for me.

Maybe if it was say >66% off... (but then I'd be worried if it "fell off the back of a truck" :p)

As a small business, I prefer having traceable invoices for accounting and documentation when/if I sell the machine down the road to another artist, just so he/she can be sure everything is legit.

Have I become an old fogey? Should I have been using eBay all this time?

Any freelancers have experience eBaying pro gear like this? Would appreciate any guidance on the used market from a business asset perspective.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

So, while we all wait to see just how sincere Acer is about their availability date, I thought I'd make a few brief comments about my experience with the Surface Studio 2.

There have been a lot of negative comments made on these forums by members who I doubt have had any extensive hands-on time with the Studio 2 and reviews of the ConceptD that criticize the Studio 2 by comparison:

https://www.neowin.net/news/lenovo-yoga-a940-review-it-puts-the-surface-studio-to-shame

Notable criticisms include: There's the cost, which I agree is pretty steep. There's the "laptop CPU," which surely can't be any good for day-to-day use. There's some sort of dissatisfaction with the mass storage; that can't be any good, either. There's the reliability history of the original Studio. And of course, there's the N-trig pen; which we all know is original sin in corporeal form.

Except that none of this really tells the story about the Studio 2. Our Studio 2 is about 9 months old. I bought it for my wife, who was in the process of writing a graphics-intensive book. Over 300 pages with many single pages that are larger than 90 MB. (For comparison, some entire (text) books aren't as large as one of these pages!) Although my wife wouldn't let me near the S2, I still had to occasionally help her and also back-up and update it, tasks that she thought of as sufficiently "manly" to justify my brief access to the hardware. So I've had a chance to watch her work over months of time, and here's what I've seen:
    • First of all, the sum of the Studio2's parts is just as immersive and impressive on Day 270+ as it was on Day 1. The screen size, aspect ratio, resolution and chromaticity is simply awesome. Touch works perfectly and the ability to ink simply adds to the utility. And the ability to move and position the screen makes it all very user-friendly.
    • The lack of a keyboard "tray" is irrelevant; slide the keyboard up to the base and the screen pivots down smoothly over it. However, my wife has the keyboard in a pull-out desk tray, so again storing the keyboard under the screen is irrelevant.
    • The "laptop processor, " combined with the GTX1070 GPU, has never exhibited any evidence of bottlenecking in my presence and that includes many instances when my wife had (what I consider to be) a crazy number of browser tabs and apps simultaneously open.
    • The Studio 2 has been rock-solid reliable, showing none of the issues that users reported on the original Studio.
    • The pen isn't EMR, but it works beyond my artistic capability
    • Just me, but being able to move the Dial so that it is next to where you are working is more convenient than having it plugged into a fixed port.
    • Audio reproduction won't win any awards, but it's adequate for watching Nexflix at the end of a busy day; and the imagery is superb!
    • Finally, having the ports along the back edge of the base is inconvenient, but a couple of short male to female connector cables makes the essential ports readily accessible.
    And why do I care about wirelessly charging my phone under the screen when I have about a hundred AC adapters, wireless chargers and external batteries that all do that job?

I can understand everyone being infatuated with the newest shiny toy, but the Studio 2 does everything that my wife wants it to. She loves it.

PS: The book was finished a month ago. I thought I'd get some time, but now we're into website building and marketing. **Sigh** Maybe next year...

nnthemperor, Azzart, YVerloc and 2 others like this.
  6. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

The top spec'ed one I test drove randomly dropped brush strokes and locked up multiple times in even a short test painting session. Not sure how making my time with it more extensive would have improved my opinion.

7. stoneseeker

You are talking about the Studio 2 here, right?

On that note, did anyone in the community get any hands on time with the Concept D at any of the Acer events they showed it at?

8. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah studio 2