Acer ConceptD 9 easel notebook (2019)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Cuberdon75, Apr 11, 2019.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I've been following this conversation closely, since this is a really interesting and relevant topic for me as well. I paint in massive files with hundreds of layers for my work. The brushes I use are rarely that complex, but I still hit walls of lag sometimes on my powerful desktop PC and cintiq combo while painting (any brush that gets large enough or on complex enough files).

So what is the easiest way to test where the bottleneck is happening and to track realtime how many cores or percentage of cores being utilized? I'd like to run tests while painting in photoshop and see just what is being used the most: RAM, scratchdisk, CPU, GPU.. etc. Isn't lag while drawing more complex than just raw CPU speed? I thought Adobe was a RAM hog and fast SSD scratch disk or fast RAM made a bigger boost than more cores? I guess faster 4 -6 core is better than a slower 12 core?

I'm really curious to see where my system is most "lacking" according to the restraints of photoshop.

wandrinsheep likes this.
  2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Let's put it even simpler: you can choose between a 3ghz six-cores cpu and a 4ghz dual core.
    The dual core will be faster and your brushes will start to lag at a larger size.

I mean, see the first post of this thread: can you really tell him he's wrong asking for an improvement?
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2343259
    Even a free software like Krita was able to implement multhreading for pixel brushes, why can't Adobe?

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    stoneseeker and wandrinsheep like this.
  3. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

You already know the answer to that. Adobe doesn’t care about illustrators. They run their business by the numbers, and by the numbers the illustrator market is a fart in a hurricane,

Imagine if Steinway and Sons, the famous piano makers, operated like this. If they had a giant list of feature requests from their customers, and 5% of the feature requests were from piano players and 95% of the feature requests were from interior designers. If interior designers actually buy 95% of their pianos then bean-counter logic would suggest that their features get produced first. But the only reason interior designers buy Steinways to decorate interiors with is because a Steinway grand piano is a status symbol, and its only a status symbol because piano players prize a Steinway’s playing qualities. The one depends upon the other.

Illustrators are THE photoshop users. Photographers use the image editing features. Some of them. Illustrators use all of the features, and push them all to the limit. Compared to illustrators, professional photographers are mere photoshop dilettantes. The prestige of photoshop has been made by illustrators and is sustained by illustrators. But adobe does.not.care.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    stoneseeker and thatcomicsguy like this.
  4. wandrinsheep

wandrinsheep Pen Pal - Newbie

It’s a weird thing because I agree with you, there are points where we don’t see eye to eye but on the matter of brush multithreading, it should’ve been in ages ago. Adobe has rested on laurels and just enjoying the good life until someone knocks them off it, the only part I wasn’t really able to agree with you on is that a 5w dual core will give you the same quality of life as a quad core 45w chip. Since many things outside of the brush engine are parallelized decently, and only diminish in returns after 4 cores which basically everyone has nowadays. What I do agree on is the basic concept of painting is quite linear and only scales well with frequency which admittedly a 15w or 45w will be able to hold higher than the wake Y series cpus nite offers. Adobe profits from stagnation of technology as all big companies that have monopolized s market do. Similar to intel and their cpu offerings until Ryzen came about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. wandrinsheep

wandrinsheep Pen Pal - Newbie

I think Azzart’s assertions are mostly correct, this isn’t a case of mutual exclusion. Both our points stand and can compliment each other, the brush engine in photoshop is not multithreaded and benefits more from the cpu frequency rather than cores, pretty much any other operation is multithreaded from simple things such as canvas resizing and filters and effects such, this will only be beneficial up to about 4 cores after which gains from more cores aren’t work it, a dual core or quad core suffices. A lot of things are moved to the gpu now too. I agree with all you’ve said as about ram and disk. The thing eats through ram and I recently had a crash because I was running low on disk space and tried working on a large file which caused some problems and created a recurrent critical error crash which took quite some time to fix. That being said I’m no expert on the internal workings of photoshop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoneseeker likes this.
  6. sitoudien

sitoudien Pen Pal - Newbie

I wish the concept D guys fixed the switch 7.

CribCoe and WillAdams like this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...So what is the easiest way to test where the bottleneck is happening and to track realtime how many cores or percentage of cores being utilized?..>>

@stoneseeker : A good place to start with this is to simply use Windows built-in performance displays. If you are old-school, like me, and you have a Control Panel icon on your desktop, then:

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Performance Monitor > Open Resource Monitor (small blue link in first box)

If you are not old school, then swipe in the right fly-out and select Settings:

Settings > Search for Task Manager > View System Resource Usage > click on Performance tab

Either way, you will find real time plots of CPU, memory, Ethernet and Mass Memory (hard drive) usage. I personally prefer the older Resource Monitor presentation, but either one will show you what parts of the system are maxing out at any given time...

8. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think the Switch 7 could use a "ConceptD" style refresh too, but what specifically would you add?

The base AS7 specs are pretty good, so aside from the stand CPU/GPU update, for me it would be:
    • OLED panel (Samsung or JOLED) with reduced bezel
    • Wacom Feel driver compatability
    • Keep silo, EMR and Liquid Loop

What about you?

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    WillAdams likes this.
  9. sitoudien

sitoudien Pen Pal - Newbie

Improved battery, heat management, lighter build, fix pen problem, price price price. I like its industrial aesthetics. The 7 has been a flop and probably cancelled. There is no real competition to the surface pro. The 13.5 inch screen sets the 7 apart. Even MS has a 13.5 screen but not for SP pro.

Marty likes this.
  10. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ideally, all these could be achieved. But I think you're going to have to sacrifice something here...

I think the Liquid Loop cooling system should be maintained as it is the defining trait of the tablet. But good point about the Wacom Feel drivers, which I'll add to my list. ;)