Acer ConceptD 7 Ezel

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Marty, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Acer just unveiled the ConceptD 9's little brother, the ConceptD 7 'Ezel':

[​IMG]

Specs are very competitive with the D9 too, but in a 15.6" convertible form-factor that folds completely flat:

[​IMG]

(Verge)
    "The screen covers 100 percent of the Adobe RGB color gamut, and it has a color accuracy of Delta E <2. Acer says the laptop’s screen has a peak brightness of 400 nits and features an anti-glare coating...

It comes with up to an Intel 10th Gen H-series processor, 32GB of RAM, and 2TB of PCIe solid-state storage. There’s also a Pro version, which you can configure with an Intel Xeon processor. Both laptops feature Nvidia GPUs (you get the option of Quadro RTX GPUs with the Pro), and they’re also part of Nvidia’s RTX Studio program, which includes drivers designed to boost the performance of creative software. The laptop includes two Thunderbolt 3 ports, an SD card slot, DisplayPort 1.4, and HDMI 2.0."

Engadget confirms the digitizer is EMR (though oddly they say it's "less responsive" than N-Trig? :confused:):

(Edgadget)
    "...the ConceptD 7 Ezels come with Wacom EMR pens tucked away in a slot built into the bottom right of the hinge. You might miss it if you weren't looking for it, since the stylus is the same liquid paper-like white color and finish as the rest of the machine. Unlike the Wacom pens on previous Acer machines, this one doesn't require charging, and pulls power from the screen. I found it slightly less responsive than I'm used to on Samsung and Microsoft tablets..."

And surprisingly, the pricing seems quite...reasonable (compared to the D9 at least :p).

(Digitial Trends)
    "The Acer ConceptD 7 Ezel and Ezel Pro will start at $2,699 and $3,099, respectively, later this year."

What do you think guys? The next unicorn? I'm hyped. :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I need whats her name doing all the pen related news stuff on Verge to just... stop...

Anyhow, even though I only bought the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15 about a month ago, I WILL jump ship IF Wacom Feel driver is available for this thing.

I guess I'll start saving money just in case?

3. Lilawyn

Lilawyn Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh my god. All of my hedging back-and-forth between current 2-in-1 options seems to make sense now... this machine is exactly what I want out of a laptop for drawing. Workstation-level specs, a full range of motion hinge that will let me pick at what angle to work at... and I'll confess that it means too much to me... I want a machine that looks gorgeous too. I'm EXTREMELY hyped for this. I guess I know what I'm saving up for this year. :)

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You know her name's right at the start of the video right? :p (And she works for Engadget not Verge, same difference I know).

Notebook Italia has a better hands-on from an Acer rep:

Let me just take a moment to say, Thank You, Acer! for not being afraid to make a beefy device for maximal performance (and lower noise).

[​IMG]

Thicc, just the way I like 'em. ;) Enough to accommodate a full-size Ethernet port! When was the last time you saw that on a 15" 2-in-1? And those vents, that put most recent gaming laptops to shame.

Acer, you done good. :thumbsup:

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

:eek: ANOTHER UNICORN.
    These are exciting times! Its the unicorn's slightly smaller brother. I also am glad to see them creating a practical but aesthetically pleasing device. Someone at Acer has done their research and is getting in touch with what many content creators have been asking for for some time. 5 years ago I would never have suspected Acer would be the ones to give me a large beefy EMR convertible of my dreams... This is also much more affordable than the D 9 too, so I think this might be a little more readily available to consumers and retail outlets than the elusive D9 has been

6. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Where's @thatcomicsguy when you need him? Many of us have almost given up on a 15-16 inch EMR tablet and this thing has got "ports" and a more powerful graphic card than the HP zbook x2 g4.
    I like - probably a lot more than I like the ConceptD 9 Pro.

Amen to that. I had to turn off the last review of a product she was presenting.

Lilawyn likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As do I, the whole reworked hinge mechanism seems like it would offer better stability then the 9 Pros....and also allows it to take the form factor of a more traditional laptop. And a small pet peeve of mine with the 9 Pro....but I like how they moved the trackpad below the keyboard....I hate having it on the right.

doobiedoobiedum and Lilawyn like this.
  8. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My peeve is we'd have to pay the equivalent of $7614.12 in the UK for the 9 Pro. I'd have to sell a couple of my children to pay for the 9 Pro and even then, I'd probably have to bribe someone to take the older one.

stoneseeker likes this.
  9. carnageX12

carnageX12 Pen Pal - Newbie

I like it overall, though I would have preferred a black version. I watched the video and it seems they are aware of yellowing issues that sometimes happen with white plastic and applied a coating to help prevent it, but could have avoided the issue completely if they had went with black.

10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I'm a bigger fan of the 9 pro mostly for the larger screen, black metal aesthetic and more power headroom, but this looks more accessible and much more practical for most PROsumers than the D 9 I admit!