Acer ConceptD 7 Ezel Pen Performance

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by kfkok, Jan 22, 2021.

1. kfkok

kfkok Pen Pal - Newbie

I pre-ordered Acer ConceptD 7 pro and it still haven't arrived yet, so I cannot tell you anything about the pen pressure yet. Maybe you could check the pen pressure in Microsoft Paint 3D? Or you can try use another third party wacom emr pen such as STAEDTLER Noris digital and check if pressure is indeed working. If it works, then it might be conceptD pen that is faulty.

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

oh its definitely got a driver, I know reviews where the pen worked like any other wacom penabled PC, and so the behaviour your describing is just a PC that is missing the appropriate drivers. Sounds like maybe it just needs a Wacom driver as described by Mark above, and it also may be that you need to manually make Windows 10 recognize that your PC is using a pen too,(have a look through the windows pen options and make sure stuff is turned on, fiddle with it etc.)
    You should be able to get this working soon, don't give up!

Hannibalj2 and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah.

That's one of the things about PCs which never seems to completely go away:

They're complicated. -But they also reward in measure. You can usually make them do what you want and you'll own that solution like a boss.

Hannibalj2 likes this.
  4. Hannibalj2

Hannibalj2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I downloaded the "Wintab" from the link you sent me. Wintab was enabled and tested "Toon Boom Storyboard pro" My main work software. Indeed does have pressure, but the quality of the strokes are terrible, especially the stroke tail that goes infinitely because as long the pen is close to the display it will continue drawing.

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's all about the insufferable tweaking, but you'll get it to work.

Your story reminds me of trying to get my Dell Canvas working at its best. For some reason, I had similar issues with the pen screwing up, but it stopped happening when I had the pressure set to a specific point on the little pressure slider.

There are a bunch of stupid little toggles and settings scattered throughout Windows which can have either zero impact, or a very significant effect on pen behavior, seemingly at random. -Like in the pen and touch window in the old control panel. A lot of us have gone through this nonsense. Sometimes these things work out just fine on the first go. Other times it's a slog.

I'd suggest keeping a little log in Notepad of the various things you try, so that when you get it all sorted out you might consider posting a list of what worked. -By the time I usually got things figured out, I couldn't remember all the dumb things I'd tried or why they'd worked and was just happy to have things going finally, subsequently forgetting all about it. (So that today, years later, I can only offer half-baked advice to new guys like you.)

All I can say after having gone through it and having watched a bunch of other people here go through it is this, "You'll figure it out. Don't get depressed."

Hannibalj2 likes this.
  6. Hannibalj2

BOOOOOM! It WORKS!!! But... not thanks to me, thank you, thank you! Actually, an Acer representative came over and started fiddling with it.

Solution: Push the tip of the pen further in.

Facepalm.

The pen does not have an eraser, so I will need to hunt down any pen that looks and feel similar to a regular cintiq pen.

7. starllcraft

starllcraft Pen Pal - Newbie

The best choice that requires a tail eraser is the HP ZBook X2 pen, which has excellent writing performance.

I created a thread about wacom EMR pen:http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/2021-wacom-emr-pen-selection-ranking.75884/

8. starllcraft

starllcraft Pen Pal - Newbie

I created a thread about wacom EMR pen:http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/2021-wacom-emr-pen-selection-ranking.75884/

9. Hannibalj2

10. Hannibalj2