Acer ConceptD 7 Ezel Pen Parallax

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by kfkok, Sep 22, 2021.

1. kfkok

kfkok Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, I just received my conceptD 7 Ezel and been noticing some minor pen parallax issue as the pen is going towards the bottom of the screen. The parallax offset is about 1 mm to 2mm as shown in the image. However, at the center of the screen, the pen almost do not have parallax.

parallax.jpg

parallax.gif

Also, I also noticed that when using clip studio or photoshop, the pen begin losing pressure detection as it goes towards lower right side of the screen area.

For anyone that owns a conceptD 7 Ezel, may I know if you have these problems as well? Or it maybe my unit is defective.

Thanks guys

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Compare parallax between edges and middle of the screen for us. If the parallax is uniform, you probably need re-calibration of the pen.

If the parallax changes dramatically from center of screen to edges, its design flaw. Samsung EMR devices mitigate this problem with its implementation pretty well.

3. kfkok

kfkok Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Shogmaster :) !
    Here you go ...

comparison.png

Unfortunately, this parallax is not uniform, it becomes worst as you move away from the center towards the edges. The parallax near the borders are pretty bad though. I have tried calibrate the pen multiple times using window's calibrate the screen for pen or touch input but the results are not much different .

For majority of the screen, it's pretty accurate. So this is not really a deal breaker, I have trained my eyes to focus on the cursor instead of the pen tip and that helps a little bit.

I agree that Samsung has better EMR implementation. My samsung galaxy note 9 does indeed have a more accurate pen.

Just wondering if this happening to all conceptD 7 Ezel or just mine. I have called up Acer support but :(, there's not really any response from them yet...

If everybody else is also experiencing this on their Acer ConceptD 7 Ezel, I will just accept it and move on...

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

From the pictures, the parallax at the top and bottom aren't big enough to be a concern. Parallax at the edges seems ever so slightly bigger than my Samsung 15" but within what I'd consider acceptable for large EMR display.

Bronsky likes this.
  5. kfkok

kfkok Pen Pal - Newbie

That's good to know.
    Thanks Shogmaster :D.

I can't afford to send it for warranty and wait who-knows-how-long again after waited this device for 5 months.
    I guess I will just live with it.

Bronsky and Shogmaster like this.
  6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

My old Wacom Cintiq 24" has about that much parallax towards the edges as well, and that amount is pretty normal and easy to get used to. Focus on the pen cursor when drawing as opposed to the tip of the pen and you'll forget it exists. My old trusty T902 was waaay worse and I still managed to get my full time design jobs done with it day in and day out, so your unit is ok. Only Samsung has appeared to mitigate the parallax to the point of non-issue with their sensors being super close to the nib.

Losing pressure sensitivity towards the right side is very strange however, that would be something I would not consider normal. Is it dramatic? Something you are able to test and see visualized in the pressure window of the wacom settings?

7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Did you try calibrating without touching the screen exactly at the centre of the crosshairs but slightly on the inner part of the screen?
    That's what I used to do to reduce cursor offset near the display border on older emr devices.

There's also a way to calibrate using a large number of control points but I'd have to look for the method because it's been years since the last time I tried it.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Luckily the parallax offset that's happening at the edges seems to be uniform and not that big. You should be fine, as that's pretty normal with EMR displays. So long as you can work with it.

9. kfkok

kfkok Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah I see, yes, I decided to just focus on the pen cursor and imagine I am using an intuos pro, it kinda works haha (In fact it helps me draw a little better). I also discovered that the parallax amount varies depending on the pen tilt angle (eg tilt 45 degree has the least parallax). I agree, if Samsung release a 2 in 1 similar to the hp zbook x2, it would be most perfect wacom emr experience ever.

The pressure sensitivity losing is not dramatic, and only occurs on clip studio paint or photoshop. I tried it on zbrush and one note, and it doesn't seems to happen. It also gotten lesser that previously, so I will just forget about it.

Thanks for the advice, yea, I tried deliberately calibrate it away from center of the crosshairs, while it sometimes does reduce the parallax at the bottom, it messed up on other parts. Maybe I am not that good in manipulating the calibration haha, so I just leave it be.

Yea, for most especially the center, it pretty accurate, I don't mind if the parallax happens at the very edges of the screen (eg the taskbar icons). Just that when drawing near the bottom (eg: character legs) I need to be more mindful of the parallax, but overall is good.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That's a pretty significant offset, (looking at the pictures you posted).

I've only worked on Dell, Toshiba, Wacom and Samsung screens, and none of them were that pronounced. It looks like a bad driver setting. -I'd ask on an Acer user forum about this.

Like Azzart, I also remember a multi-point calibration system, where the driver asks you to tap on specific targets all around the screen so that it could compensate for offset. It worked quite well. I just had a look through Windows 10 for that calibration system, and it wasn't there. (It just asked me to tap the screen I wanted to use a pen on, and that's all). But I do think it might be worth asking about this on Acer forums or tech support. Though it may turn up nothing and you'll just have to get used to it.

Bummer, though! Such a modern screen should have perfect calibration.