Acer ConceptD 3 Ezel

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by jedah, Jun 23, 2020.

1. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

Anybody see the Acer ConceptD 3 Ezel?

Look interesting. Intel 10th Gen H-series processor w/ a GTX 1650 coming in at < 4lbs.

It has a pen in the silo. However, I'm not sure if I caught what Dave2D said.. but I think it might be MPP. That would probably be my primary hesitation for this device as I'm assuming it would not use MS's Pixelsense. Otherwise.. looks really promising.

Marty and daddyfish like this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Another Ezel? Man Acer is really pushing this form factor.

as far as the pen tech, given the other two penabled Ezel’s are using Wacom EMR, almost certainly this one is as well. And despite N-trig demos of such pens from over a decade ago, there haven’t been any siloed MPP pens ever released. But everything released with a silo has been either EMR or AES.

3. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting beast: pen silo, H-core cpu, nice gpu selection, awesome screen hinge and even a somewhat ok entry price. Seriously considering this or nextgen when I got more mileage out of my current laptop.

4. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

I was kind of thinking the same thing, and am really hoping I heard it wrong when Dave2D said the Surface pen worked. I would seriously consider this as my next device if it has it.

5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

He very clearly says the Surface pen works and that the included stylus is "Active Pen."

Nib looked quite large too. Considering this may be the entry level product in the Ezel range - anyone looking for EMR might look elsewhere in the range?

This page clarifies "Acer supplies an Active Stylus that offers 4,096 levels of pressure sensitivity."

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-...ngside-the-ConceptD-100-desktop.477221.0.html

6. darkmagistric

i must have skipped thru the video too fast on my first watch, but you’re right. Now the reviewer saying the Surface Pen could have been a goof, given how typically ignorant most reviewers are of pen tech. But now looking at that pen...

Well I think we finally have the very first “released” Ntrig/MPP Silo Pen. It clearly has a supercap charger on the pens body...
    But more then that....the design of the pen....it weirdly echoes the Surface Pro 3/4 pens design with the coloring on the nib assembly. But the real question here is Why? While this may be more affordable then the other penabled Ezels, it’s still an expensive $1500 device with some high end specs. Given they already have a stock of EMR stock from the other two Ezels, they should have been able to incorporate this with an EMR pen and still hit the same price point.

2522AFA6-6FAB-46F8-9E62-271220D51110.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    doobiedoobiedum and Marty like this.
  7. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah I also thought it looked like the surface pen color and button wise. As for 'why', either costs or broad support. I think I would prefer ntrig because it is broadly supported by many windows 2-1 laptops (it is really nice I can use my pen also on my coworker's laptops). But I use the pen more as a complimentary device (for notes/drawings in Office and pdf's etc and little bit of photoshopping).
    Concerning the costs, I don't think it is that expensive since your also getting a H cpu and decent gpu's besides a the special hinge and pen silo.

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

From the pic, it looks closest in design to a supercap Lenovo pen, like the ThinkPad Pen Pro for L380 Yoga (4X80R07945):
    [​IMG]
    So my guess is, it is a dual-protocol Wacom AES pen.

daddyfish likes this.
  9. darkmagistric

It could be AES, given they are already using Wacom for the other two models, switching to AES would certainly be easier to arrange.

but....what an awfully odd design choices for an AES pen....especially given the Concept D3 is white and doesn't match this pen's grey color scheme.......its like if Microsoft ever made a prototype silo Surface Pen.....that would clearly be it. Even the button, with its weird center indent looks more like it would be a single pen button, putting it more on par with the Pro 4 & 5 pens. And technically N-trig made the supercap charged pen method first, they showed demos of such pens a long time ago before AES was around, they just never released any. And since Microsoft bought them out, surely those designs came with the package.

I doubt its dual protocol though, a Dual Protocol Pen like the Wacom Ink pen works only from the pen side. If this was a Dual Protocol AES pen, then a Surface Pen wouldn't work on the D3 Ezel.

pen comparisons.jpg

daddyfish likes this.