Acer Chromebook 13 Spin is a beast.

Discussion in 'Other Android Tablet Manufacturers' started by artistebot, May 25, 2018.

1. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  2. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

• Spin 13 CP713-1WN-59KY: Intel Core i5, 16GB RAM, 128GB storage – $949USD

1000 dollar 3:2 comic book reader here we come

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Aren't we being a little hard on such a versatile device with excellent hardware, high end specs, so many new (chromebook) capabilities and now full Linux (ie, "real" computer) support? Sure, still lacking full Windows app support, but most major sftwe runs in Linux. Also, for comic reading, web surfing, email and productivity apps, siloed Wacom EMR stylus (85% or more of what most folk do on $1,000 - $1,300 2-in-1s) there is no faster, more buttery smooth OS than cb. Take it from a former nay-sayer who reaches for my Pixelbook 95% of the time I need to do anything - and I have a wonderful, very capable Surface Book.

Just a little food for thought. Oh, but do keep in mind, Acer has been promoting too much vaporware in recent months; this may be months from true availability.

4. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Pen Pal - Newbie

It's already available in Germany.

5. lovelaptops

Yes, but so was the Switch 7 - took 9 months from when splash purchase pages first showed up until it was actually for sale - and we all know what happened to that false promise (finally showed up in Europe, but was over-hyped and didn't deliver on its promise.)

More important: there has yet to be a single true review of this model from any credible source. Typically when a new, groundbreaking model is about to go to general release (Acer still claims "September" for the US; hint: it's August 9th now) review models are sent to major tech media for review and testing. When I Google it there is still not a single "real" review, from any country.

I will believe that this model is both available for actual purchase - and is anything like the prototypes shown widely last May - when I see it being sold and can read reviews by tech press and owners. Not holding my breath!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  6. kneehowguys

I'd totally get a lightweight yoga style 3:2 chromebook !
    If it was higher than 1080p res, very bright, and 14 inches or bigger. Hard to go back to 12 after having used a 15 inch SB2.

I interpret this link to mean that there is only spin 13, no spin 15
    https://chromeunboxed.com/news/hands-on-new-acer-chromebook-spin-13-15/

I believe you about you using the pixelbook more- at least I think if I had a lightweight 3:2 yoga style laptop I would grab it 9/10 times for casual stuff over the SB2 and having to fiddle with detachment mechanism.

Still crossing my fingers for a bigger one someday. Really wish that beautiful 15 inch 3:2 SB2 screen would catch on with more devices.

Maybe acer chromebook 13 will be big enough. Microsoft stores and also completely unrelated Microcenter never seem to have EMR 3:2 cb 2-in-1s on display to use, probably too niche atm. Have never seen a google store.

7. kneehowguys

Are chromebooks with tablet mode that buttery smooth though? How are android apps?

I have used a chromebook only once, it was pretty low end. I constantly wanted to do things like save stuff to my desktop or push a non existent windows button / other habits I have from windows.

Do the android apps really make it such a better experience that you prefer the pixelbook to a thinkpad yoga? Or just the form factor

8. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Pen Pal - Newbie

It's got a pen silo and Win10 support is coming via Project Campfire.

9. lovelaptops

Sorry for delayed response - somehow didn't get notice of this post.

So the answer to how "buttery smooth" the Pixelbook is in tablet mode is: yes, same as in desktop mode but at 2.4 lbs it's pretty bulky/heavy to hold without resting on a surface. It's still best used as a laptop or in presentation mode (keyboard resting on table or lap, navigate with fingers or pen on screen) and at that it's just ultra fast, gorgeous screen, excellent keyboard if you're so inclined, etc. AES pens are, well, AES pens and will perform accordingly. Some CB apps work great with pen, others not so much. Android apps work mostly well and are constantly improving; it's entirely up to the app developer to bring it up to speed for large screen (vs. phone or small tablet) experience. More and more have done so and when they do, they are excellent. I can't say I categorically prefer it to a TP Yoga, but here are ways in which it is clearly superior:

1) Zero maintenance/security issues
    2) Instant-on and always very fast response (even with eMMC storage)
    3) Better screen than all but HDR TPY
    4) At $750 now, far less costly than any TPY, less than half X1
    5) If you can find workarounds for your Windows apps, it's just a seamless experience; the device is not an impediment or challenge in any way, you work through it rather than on it.
    6) With full Linux support all but there, many more options; when full Windows support arrives (3-6 mos) it will be the most versatile device on the planet with all the positives of today's chromeos and 3 other OS (Android, Linux, Windows)

But here are the major drawbacks:

1) No heavy photo or video editing
    2) Drawing apps hit or miss
    3) MS Office support in chrome os/ Android is bare bones; you can create basic, consume, light edit, but for heavy duty creation/editing you need a Windows device
    4) Not only no Windows key, but some functions are just missing - eg, audio control, anything to do with camera (though Google camera app - absurdly absent up til now - soon to be incorporated in next build, #68) just not available.

At first I thought I couldn't adapt, live without certain things. It's been over 6 months now and, as I have written, it's my go-to nearly 90% of the time, but in my home/home office it is side-by-side with my SB and desktop so I never notice shortcomings, as I just switch to Windows for those times I need it.

Best bet is to get one for $750 with 30 day return privilege and use it. You'll pretty quickly find out if it works for you. What it does well, it does better than any other device on the market, regardless of price. It does most things I need very well, but not 100%. I can't see it being a sole device, you have to have access to Windows/Mac, though those can be old clunkers, just to have use of certain software when you need it.

Hope that helps.

kneehowguys likes this.
  10. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member