Acer C314 First Impressions

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by dalbert, Dec 4, 2005.

1. onedeep

onedeep Pen Pal - Newbie

This is great information you are posting. I am looking at the C314 and the Toshiba M4, and while the M4 has been getting great reviews, I have been wanting to lean back towards the Acer for the keyboard and price.

2. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

I'm sold on the C314 - especially since I have had excellent experience with an Acer notebook and I am looking for a desktop replacement (sorry HP TC4200). I also love the keyboard on my Acer notebook and expect the C314 to be very similar. ZipZoomFly here I come!
    Thanks Blindell for the reassuring first impression. I guess the C314 was your first Acer. Acer may be the best kept secret out there!
    Only issue with Acer - warranty is NOT transferable. My Acer notebook has 2 years remaining (I took out the extra 2 years coverage for about $200 since it was my first experience with an Acer). Selling the notebook with no warranty will be a problem. I'll probably have to take a big hit unless I can sell it locally and maintain the warranty in my name.
    BTW, Newegg has Acer 2 year additional warranty for $189 (they only sell C312 and not C314 - strange?)

3. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

OK Done deal!
    Ordered C314 from ZipZoomFly at $1829!
    Opted for 2 day FedEx at 14.24 (not bad)
    My Acer notebook will be on EBay as soon as C314 arrives!

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

blindell -

Some notebooks and Tablet PC's have an S-Video/TV out port that has a 7-pin jack instead of a standard 4-pin S-Video jack. As you mentioned, yes, this 7-pin jack is capable of delivering an audio signal as well.

5. blindell

blindell Pen Pal - Newbie

If its capable of sending audio, why the heck wouldnt they include an adapter for it ;-)

ive been working alot lately, no time to play with my new toy, but i DID install Guild Wars and got very playable framerates at 1024x768 with the eyecandy down low (didnt try it up high, i keep it low even on my desktop, shadows are worthless)

By very playable I mean that there were no jitters and no noticeable framey-ness, so at least 30fps, although i did not load fraps to confirm that.

I just ordered a Bstrong protector for it, and im in the market for an expensive, manly emr stylus (mainly cause I dont like the eraser on this one)... I should have one on its way in the next hour or so.

If anyone has any C314 specific questions, im more than happy to answer them to the best of my abilities.. post here or email me at blindell@mail.utexas.edu

6. Barry J. Doyle

"P.S. After typing this on a desktop, I realize that I really DO like my tablet's keyboard better than anything else ive ever typed on... and even with the awesome handwriting recognition (espcially since it seems to do it by words, not letters, unless you tell it specifically), I wouldnt be caught dead without a keyboard unless I was merely taking notes (in which case you dont need a 2ghz 1gb of ram tablet anyway!)"

Hence the reason why you bought a convertible tablet!

7. funky

funky Pen Pal - Newbie

i hate to be overly anxious but any updates on the review of the c314? :) im really lookin into the c314 and c312 and i cant wait any longerrr! haha :)!!

8. Barry J. Doyle

In Progress ; )

9. blindell

blindell Pen Pal - Newbie

I now have my tablet ghetto docked, and using my computer's keyboard/mouse/monitor. The only difference I feel between this and my primary desktop is that there is no noise! This PC has six 50-70cfm fans in it that normally roar! I cant hear anything!!

10. funky

funky Pen Pal - Newbie

its pretty much of a stretch to ask this question, but how is the performance compared to your desktop? *just wondering :)*