Acer C204 vs Fujitsu T-4020

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CorlanMcD, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breezer

Breezer Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd like a Tablet PC that's not too heavy, can play DVD and record CD's. I can take notes in sales calls and seamlessly display a video without a wall between myself and customer, or a break to boot up laptop. Lots of presentations on CD/DVC, want player internal or else I won't have it with me.
    The two that seem to fit this are Fujitsu T-4020 (with modular bay) and the new Acer C204. Both seem about the same price (approx $1800 online), weight (just under 5 lbs), etc...
    Any insights or other recommendations? :)

2. BrianL

BrianL Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey,

I haven't had the chance to try the models out, so take my advice for what you will....

From what you describe, both models would seem to suit your needs rather well. Both are portable, and with modular optical drives. How much does performance matter to you? It appears that the Acer has the edge when it comes to performance - especially with regards to graphics. However, the Fujitsu's build quality is said to be the best.

How important is battery life to you? Both models have the option of a second battery for the modular bay, but I believe that the Acer comes with 2 batteries - A heavier 6-cell for extended use, and a lighter 3-cell for when carrying it around is more important.

Do you like Acer's new folding transition system over the traditional method (Fujitsu)? Keep in mind that with the Acer, the screen always faces outwards.

How much typing will you be doing? Does the fact that the Acer has no hand rests or touchpad mouse (only a trackpoint) bother you?

Will you need your tablet outdoors? The Fujitsu has an optional indoor/outdoor display - though if you're carrying it around a lot apparently it gets rather hot.

Brian

3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Brian, stellar advice! And Breezer - The Fujitsu is tried and true, a great model. The Acer looks great so far...

4. Thomas.k

Thomas.k Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe buying a C204 will be a plus for the upcomming windows vista, to be avaliable in 2006. There are a lot of modes for eye candy in this new OS, the last one will allow to you have a full 3D desktop with rotating windows and such. The minimun requirements for this mode is a 3D DirectX9 videocard capable of 15M triangles/sec. That's the exact specs of the GeForce that comes with the C204
    Altough, you still can use Windows Vista with the Fujitsu with no problems, without this feature.

So it's the exact question mentioned:
    Weight and Build go for the Fujitsu
    Power and New design go for the Acer

5. Barry J. Doyle

Thomas, thanks for the extra info.

Barry

6. Breezer

Breezer Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks all for excellent advice. I'm going to get the Fujitsu and will post how it works out!

7. Barry J. Doyle

Very cool. Bet you'll love it ; )

Barry

8. Dakine

Dakine Pen Pal - Newbie

we use the Fujitsu at school and i must say it works great
    the only diffrence is that the acer c204 is much faster and the GFX card is a nice little extra.
    the thing about the fujitsu is that the screen is slightly bigger (wide screen), and the screen flips downwards the acers flips upwards so if you carry it around alot it may get damaged.
    i personally use the acer c113tci its not bad but im planning on upgrading in the near future

9. Breezer

Breezer Pen Pal - Newbie

I got a great deal for a Fujitsu T-4020 on Fujitsu's Ebay Store. Have been completely happy with everything about the system and Fujitsu's support! Everything works great!
    I had bought an Averatec Tablet about 6 months ago and am glad I returned it as I now have this.

10. CorlanMcD

CorlanMcD Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Breezer, by any chance do you have the link to Fujitsu's Ebay Store? :)

Edit: Found it, and I am amazed at these prices! I wonder if HP also has an eBay store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.