Acer C204 buying decissions / questions

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by datafader, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. datafader

datafader Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi
    I'm in the process of deciding on a tablet pc for university next year.

I have pretty much decided on the acer C204 (unless a new tablet comes out befor october to change my mind :) )

I would just like to know about a few features about the C204 / C200 (I assume they have the same outer casing)

My C204 / C200 serires questions:

1. How long is the palm rest? And is it difficult to type being so small?
    (distance from the bottom of the keyboard to the front, not actually stated in any specs I have found)

2. What is your oppinion of the fixed angle screen?
    (easy to use? annoaying? repositioning needed?)

3. Is the screen sprung loaded? & does it lock nicly in laptop mode?

4. What do you do about protecting the screen when transporting?
    (do you use supplied protector or are there better laptop bags?)

5. What battery life do you get for:
    -General internet (web browse/download, wireless on)
    -Conservative notetaking(OneNote/similar, speedstep, wireless off)

6. What is the inluded software and setup configuration like?
    (I've heard the software is quite good, when you get the tablet is there a lot of usless software that needs uninstalling at the start? as I would prefer to use a recovery CD when windows slows down than to make my own XP:TE CD)

Also slighlt unrelated I have come to the conclusion that you cannot get the acer C314 in the UK, is this true? If not can you please tell me where you can get one.

Thanks

Edited to re-iterate some questions

2. DragonFlame

DragonFlame Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't have one but there are a few reviews I've read/seen on the tablet... there's actually a video review and you can see the tablet in action and stuff. Somewhere around here...

1. I don't think there is a palm rest, I'm actually pretty sure it doesn't. The bottom of keyboard to end of laptop is maybe 1/3 of an inch just to fit the 2 mouse buttons...

2. Dunno don't have

3. From the video review the screen locks into place in both laptop and tablet mode and is not spring loaded. Could be wrong though

4. I believe there is a supplied screen protector. It's just this sorta felt thing that wraps around the laptop that can cover the screen.

5. Dunno

6. Dunno

3. lillumultipass

lillumultipass Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello!
    I am new to the forum, and I would be interested in buying this ACER. Are the happy owners of this tablet still happy???

4. jadam

jadam Pen Pal - Newbie

1. The palm rest is very tiny, its not even a palm rest tbh, but I type just fine on the tablet and I have very large hands. about 3/4 of an inch from the bottom of the space key to the edge of the laptop.

2. I don't mind it too much, it can be a bit annoying when using it on my stomach while in bed, otherwise its fine. The screen itself is GREAT, the viewing angle can be a little annoying, but nothing major, ive gotten used to it :D

3. No springs there, It has a mechanical lock of some sort, it locks very well, and looks very sexy in laptop and tablet mode.

4. I find the supplied protector to be suffecient, its pretty tough. I usually just throw it in my bookbag with the screenfacing outwards and no problems so far.

5. Battery life with the 6 cell is about 2.5 hours for web browsing. Im planning on dumping the DVDRW drive though for a 2nd batter for that bay, with that batter ylife should be at a minimum of 6 hours. Conservative notetaking goes somewhere between 3-3.5hours.

6. Included software is minimal which I like. It also comes preformatted into 2 different partitions. My reccomendation out of the box is to reformat the 2nd partition into ntfs since it comes as fat32 by default.

And yes im very happy with this tablet :D Damn fast little thing.