Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 S

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by sonichedgehog360, Apr 7, 2016.

1. gregoryx

gregoryx Scribbler - Standard Member

Google "acer switch alpha 12 upgrade ssd"

For me, the second link is the closest to an answer.

But if you actually do it, please report back with details for the rest of us.

2. Vinzzent

Vinzzent Pen Pal - Newbie

On the benchmark XTU page right part of the chart aera - On my switch it displays thermal throttling in yellow
    and max cpu freq 0.40gHz when i am iddling and unplugged.

I also triple checked the cpu freq with CPU-Z, Throttlestop and HWinfo

Can you do a quick freq check unplugged for me with one of those progs ? thx in advance

3. gregoryx

You just said, "max cpu freq 0.40gHz when i am iddling and unplugged." Yeah, I'll see that in the "Max Core Frequency" slot. But I'll see much more if I'm actually using it. It'll jump to 2.5 or more. When I'm plugged in and idling, it'll go down to .6 or something like that. If I go into the power settings and set the Minimum Processor State to 100 then it sticks right around 2.5-ish all the time. And it acts the same on power or not on power - however I tell it to act.

Does yours jump up on usage? If so, that seems like correct behavior.

4. Vinzzent

Unfortunately mine doesn't jump at all even when i start the benchmark it stays dead at 0.40gHz but when I plug it again the cpu behaves normally (ie its freq fluctuates again)

I am starting to think my cpu issue is driver related more than hardware since the cpu can go up to 3-3.1gHz when plugged.
    It might be an chipset/ intel management engine/Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver ... misbehaving

Strange thing is that windows update does keep saying my system is uptodate when I try to update
    Maybe I should try to force reinstall some of them
    Any ideas ?

5. gregoryx

Hardly my expertise... but I'd be looking at the settings in the power plan to see if I can affect a change. And I'd probably check the BIOS settings as well.

6. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine is 2.69Ghz when unplugged and idle

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  7. Vinzzent

Well I finally went to ACER customer centre and they diagnosed an issue with the Motherboard - They replaced it for me within 3 working days which was greatly appreciated.

Everything was working as it should until I realized that my rear cam had a driver/hardware failure. The driver manager shows an asterisk in front of the AOV560 cam module sensor.

No driver reinstall / disabling-enabling tricks could fix this problem - It is almost for sure a hardware related issue.

I guess the ACER technician was too hurry and a bit careless when he changed my motherboard or worse they replaced my motherboard with a failing one.

Anyway bad luck so I need to return again to the centre.

8. Vinzzent

BTW, before returning the unit to ACER I had enough time to tinker it with XTU and lowered the CPU/GPU voltage by 60mV without any hang/crash. Maybe I could have even pushed a little bit further.

Honestly I don't know / didn't spend enough time to check / if this undervoltage will noticeably improve the battery life (and also lower the heat) even though theoretically it should.

Any comments ?

9. Lucas Mun

Lucas Mun Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, has anybody found tip replacements for the stylus yet? I couldn't find any so I have been using sanded down Microsoft Surface stylus tip as replacement. The tips all got chipped so I am stuck with this now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2017
  10. panders

panders Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all, I bought one of these from Costco a few months ago and I have been using it as my primary mobile computer since then. I just found and read this entire thread. Here are a couple things to add that I didn't see covered elsewhere:

The microSD card slot is on the USB2 bus only, not USB3. I found this hugely disappointing because it won't take advantage of high speed microSD cards. It would have been great for cheap, easy storage expansion. I have a 128gb Samsung card in there now and it works, just slowly at USB2 speeds.

There are a few new USB-C hubs/docks/video outputs that also support power delivery, such as this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQTE5EU/
    I have that one. If you have a USB-C charger that works with this tablet such as the lumsing one that Shutterfly tested to work, then you can plug the charger into that dock and the dock into the tablet and it will power the tablet while giving out an HDMI video output, card reader slots, and more USB ports. I travel to remote offices sometimes for work so this is super handy. The HDMI output is a bit finicky. Sometimes I have to disconnect/reconnect to get it to output video, and it will occasionally cause screen jitter (once every few minutes). I thought mine might be defective and was going to get another until I read the same complaints on similar docks from other brands, including from Macbook Pro users. I think they are all like that. Maybe they all have similar circuitry or chipsets.

There is an official dock for this tablet from Acer:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IPKTYEE/
    I have it. It's expensive but it works well, delivering on the promise of USB-C. When I get to my desk, I only have to connect one single USB-C cable for power, peripherals, audio, display, etc. The HDMI output gets laggy on very high resolution displays (as with all HDMI output adapters I have tested with the Switch 12) but the displayport works beautifully on all supported resolutions. The sound quality of the audio output is OK with a bit of hiss. Also, the USB ports on the dock are colored blue but they do NOT seem to be USB3. Every device I connect is recognized as USB2 only.

The flimsy pen loop will get ripped off sooner or later. It is unavoidable. When it does, just get one of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CWMAPW/
    It works great, looks good, stays in place, and is very durable.

The low spec'd model of the Switch 12 is on sale from the MS store currently for $379:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/acer-switch-alpha-12-for-379-ms-store-i3-4gb-128gb.71318/
    That's a good deal if you are fine with a Core i3, 4gb of ram, and 128gb SSD.

I'd also love to hear about replacement stylus tips or from anyone that manages to upgrade the SSD.