Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 S

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by sonichedgehog360, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shutterfly

Shutterfly Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't speak for screen protector, but I bought a soft case designed for Surface Pro4 and it worked out fine.

kikkoi likes this.
  2. Jason Hogrefe

Jason Hogrefe Pen Pal - Newbie

3. Shutterfly

Shutterfly Pen Pal - Newbie

4. TLA

TLA Pen Pal - Newbie

Great news. Two thoughts.

1) It doesn't mention Power Distribution anywhere on the Amazon page. I wonder if it's actually a PD compliant supply or not. Maybe the SA12 is not PD compliant either. Do you have other USB-C devices you could try to charge with it?

2) It doesn't ship to Canada, I'm going to have to look for another source. :(

5. TLA

TLA Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone found a relatively inexpensive source for the stylus? Mine didn't come with one and the best price I can find is about $50 usd plus shipping to Canada. Any pointers would be appreciated.

6. K Bags

K Bags Pen Pal - Newbie

I found the stylus for around $45, I believe at B&H. You can also find it for about the much at Newegg and Tigerdirect. Couldn't find it anywhere else much cheaper.

TLA likes this.
  7. K Bags

K Bags Pen Pal - Newbie

FYI - received a firmware update for my keyboard last night through the Acer support center. Doesn't appear on the website yet. I installed without an issue and keyboard is working well. Granted, mine was working well before the update.

8. gregoryx

gregoryx Scribbler - Standard Member

Awesome. Thanks for posting this. Sadly, it's no longer available on Amazon. But I've got the single-port chargers for now that work.

Here's an adapter that works with power and USB and HDMI - for $30:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IUXA9YK

I tried another one with Ethernet as well but it had a faulty cable.

Also, the extender cables I was using on my non-power USB-C adapter / docks are not working well with the above adapter - video funkiness.

To address other points:
    - I am seeing charging at the same rate as the original Acer charger with the three devices that I have been successful with.
    Choetech: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HZ61WWQ
    Dell: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FI7W7QO
    Apple: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VU2Z3J0

- I have not noticed a performance difference with USB-attached NIC or hard-drive through USB-C with PD. But I'll try to do a specific test with USB storage of some sort and see if I notice a difference.

kvoram likes this.
  9. gius81

gius81 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all. I would like to buy a new Windows tablet. I have had a sp3 64 gb i3, but it's KO :(
    I can't chose from 3 devices
    -Acer Switch Alpha 12
    -Surface Pro 4
    -Dell latitude 12 7000 series 2 in 1
    I would use it as a second pc, so I don't care if there is a poor battery. Then I would use it even as a replace of my old Wacom intuos pro s...so I would like to have a tablet with a good digitizer.
    I've found two models of acer switch Alpha 12, one with i3 and 8 gb and 256 ssd, and one with 4 gb and i5 and 128 gb ssd. Which one is better for my usage? The price is almost the same...
    Sorry for my english, I'm italian :)
    Then, what can be the choise? Here are some works done with my old intuos pro...just to make you understand which use I'll do with tablets...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. gregoryx

gregoryx Scribbler - Standard Member

If you're looking to do art-work, the Acer is not the one you want. The stylus is not at all art-ready. If you liked the SP3, I'd go SP4. Or Surface Book.