Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 S

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by sonichedgehog360, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shutterfly

Shutterfly Pen Pal - Newbie

That might not be true though. People have confirmed SA12 does charge with Apple's 29W usb charger. That charger only provids 14.5V max voltage output. So SA12 is able to take other voltages than 20V.
    It will be particularly interesting to know SA12's usb-c controller chipset as I am suspecting it's protocol/hardware compatibility issue that caused this.

2. TLA

TLA Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, thanks for going trough the effort and expense of testing this unit. I was going to order it myself and give it a try as I thought it would have a good chance of working. You saved me the trouble. I suspect you're right the problem is likely with the SA12. I wonder if Acer is aware or even cares, if they do perhaps a future firmware upgrade could fix it?

3. Shutterfly

That part nobody knows. I contacted Acer Technical Support and found out that their support is so sloppy that the guy not only doesn't know, but also refuse to escalate the issue.
    On Amazon.com someone from Acer replied to my usb-c charging question stating "usb-c that can supply 20v should work", and that's wrong in two folds: first many usb-c charger supporting 20v output fail to work on SA12, second, Apple's 14.5V charger works.
    I think the root cause could be in chipset, or driver(firmware). I am keeping trying other charger brands as they appear on amazon, hoping to hit the jackpot one day. I don't count on Acer to update their firmware as I said above probably they don't care and don't know, or they don't care to know.

kvoram likes this.
  4. josb0513

josb0513 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello guys.

I've been eyeing on Surface Pro 4 i5/7 for a while until I stumbled on Acer Aspire Switch 12. Price is simply amazing plus performance is almost par based on my research. I'm still not sure whether I should go with i5 model or the i7. I know the difference isn't much but I currently have 13inch HP x360 with i5 which I use to do photoshop and premiere. Gets the job done but I get blue screen of death sometimes under heavy use. Anyone actually using i7 or compared against i5 can chime in? With Acer Switch 12, I'm leaning towards i5 model for the price but microcenter has it back on $699 now. Costo no longer carries them. Can you guys recommend where I can find best deal for i5 or i7 model? i7 is currently $899 on sale at microcenter. I live in Canada and am currently traveling in US so I hope I can get something within next 3 weeks where I'm down here.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  5. gregoryx

gregoryx Scribbler - Standard Member

kvoram likes this.
  6. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ugh, USB-C has become such a mess. The only Universal thing about it is that the plug fits the port. They should have condensed the various specifications into much less variations. And it is only getting more complicated with USB-C Audio and HDMI Alternate Mode and whatever else they come up with.

Maybe they should rename it "YHTFOYWICDSB-Type C" as in "You have to find out yourself what it can do"-Serial-Bus-Type C.

7. Shutterfly

Thanks for sharing the info. The mentioned are all single port usb-c chargers. Are you aware of any multi-port chargers?
    I have this Lumsing 48W charger on order:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I1OIRQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Hope that will work.....

As to your search for the usb-c adapter, I came across an article a while back. it says USB-c uses the data line for power as well in PD mode. That means you can't have high speed data and pd at the same time.....

8. Shutterfly

MY SEARCH IS OVER!!!!!!!
    This is my savior: Lumsing 48w dual port QC3.0 and usb-c charger:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I1OIRQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Received this in the mail today, plugged in, I couldn't believe my eyes there is a plug sign beside the battery icon.
    Here we go! For $36, I finally can bring a charger with SA12 on the go without the clunky Acer charger while at the same the charge my iPhone....
    I feel so good!

Marty and kvoram like this.
  9. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Shutterfly congrats for finally finding one that suits all your needs. Out of curiosity, since that one supplies 29W over USB-C, could you, or somebody else with with a similar working ~30W charger, do test whether charging times are different going from 0-100% compared to the included charger?

10. kikkoi

kikkoi Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll need a screen protector or protective case but I can't find any markets for Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12.
    Has anyone found a case or screen protector?