Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 S

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by sonichedgehog360, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Did you get this and does it work?

2. Don1

Turns out the zolt works fine if you happen to have one laying around. I did because I bought one when they first announced them and never really new what I would use it for, now I do. I wouldn't recommend buying one just for this as they have become pricey but for people wanting multiple ports it has three.

https://www.gozolt.com/

The Asus T300CHI adapter works as well, I should have looked around at what I had before trying something new. Neither of these are USB-C but I'm not sure I care anymore as both are very small and light.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  3. Shutterfly

Shutterfly Pen Pal - Newbie

It looks so far most of the non-usb-c chargers works fine, and most of the usb-c chargers don't work.
    I ordered the cable mentioned by collindv:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EN3SLLY/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    And will give it one more try.
    If this doesn't work I will quit looking for the usb-c charging solution.

4. collindv

collindv Pen Pal - Newbie

That Zolt charger is nice but I can't justify $99 on a new charger. Guess I will stick with what I have for now until someone finds one that works or maybe acer releases an accessory charger that does the job.

5. Don1

I bought it when it was first announced and had to wait almost a year to get it but I think I only paid $50 or so. I agree I wouldn't pay 99 eith although it is nice and at 70 watts has plenty of power to charge three things at once as they say it will.

6. Don1

I would agree, it seems as long as it has the right size plug it will work.

7. Diogenes5

Diogenes5 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got this in today and it works. It does seem to be fake though as the light stays blue but then again I don't have an Asus laptop (It's suppose to be green while charging and red when the laptop is charged). The pen works fine with it charging and after it's finished charging and my laptop is not getting hot. So all in all it works fine and doesn't have the issue my last cheap $6 charger did. I got it because it is way smaller and portable than the default charger Acer gives you which is bulky and irritating. $16 seems pricey to me for what is possibly a fake but I won't lose sleep over it. There were cheaper ones but they didn't seem to be real while this advertisement said it was authentic.

It looks real on the outside but I'm not really sure not that it matters that much. As long as the internal circuitry works fine and doesn't overheat and overcharge my battery or computer, I'm good.

This will tide me over a bit until Anker or Aukey or somebody makes a decently priced portable battery this fall. Sadly, I think we may have to wait a while since there's too much fragmentation in the market. The Surface pro uses a proprietary charger that copies Apple and the Macbook can charge very slowly from 5v 3a which is what most USB-C compatible batteries output.

8. Shutterfly

Shutterfly Pen Pal - Newbie

Another frustrating day.... Received the cable in the mail today, and plugged in.....
    Still does the same thing: The power indicator in the task notification area jumps back and forth between external power and battery power.
    So it's not the cable's problem.
    After so many failed tries, I need to take a break......................................................

9. TLA

TLA Pen Pal - Newbie

I got an Apple 29w USB type C charger and it charges my SA12 fine. I'm using the cable that came with my Nexus 6p phone.

I am considering returning the Apple adapter if I can find a more cost effective alternative. Apple stuff is just expensive.

10. Don1

Thanks, I since did find a couple I already had that work too and I will just stick with them when I travel. Seems anything with the right plug works but as someone else said it is very difficult to find a usb-c that does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.