Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 S

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by sonichedgehog360, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Good to hear as I have a 45W on order and made for the HP Elite X2..it too does not have a removable cable but it was only $22. Unfortunately the first one got lost in China and they have to ship a second so who knows when I will get it. I could have cancelled it but nobody as anything similar for that price.

2. Shutterfly

Shutterfly Pen Pal - Newbie

The reason I am looking for detachable cable and USB-c charge is for travel convenience. it will be nicer if the charger has other usb ports as well. SA12 only has 1 extra usb port, and I will need more ports to charge my camera, iPhone, etc. "One charger to rule them all" will free anyone from carrying multiple chargers on the go.
    I notices there are a few other choices on Amazon:
    One by Nekteck: (36W)
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3GMRWNJ2V9TRM
    dodocool:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product..._act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AFUJM8UR8X25D
    Tenswall: (39W)
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2CXJI7OIKORUG
    Elepower: (42W)
    https://smile.amazon.com/Charger-El...ie=UTF8&qid=1472999953&sr=1-66&keywords=usb-c
    Has anyone already tried those? Please share your experience if you have.

3. Diogenes5

Diogenes5 Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FTZ96P0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ASHOP 45w ac adapter for Asus Zenbook

It's only $7 and the one review says it works with the Alpha Switch. I got the idea from reading the official acer forums where somebody said they were using an asus charger because it was small and portable.

I don't know for sure if it works but I'll get it tomorrow and find out.

This will hold me over until the new batteries come out this fall and hopefully there is a nice battery under $75 that has USB-C 45W 3A charging and also quickcharge 3.0.

4. Don1

Are you sure? It says it has a hedphone jack connector which isn't the same size as the power connector it comes with. I guess you can't go wrong for $7 and Amazon takes returns with free shipping if it doesn't.

5. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

update if it works... id be all over this.

6. Don1

Well I ordered one too but mine won't be here until Wednesday.

7. Don1

I see Microcenter raised their price $100 on this, I was surprised they kept it that low as long as they did.

8. Diogenes5

Just got my $7 Amazon charger in the mail. Seems to work fine. It gives slightly more power than the official charge cable according to my battery app.

Size-wise it is basically the same size as a macbook charger, maybe a little smaller. It even has the small little latches that pop out and let you wind your cable around it for easier portability. It's still a pretty small and portable charger and is better than the normal charger in terms of portability.

Update: The charger causes anomalous behavior on my pen when plugged in. At 100% battery when it says AC, my tablet still gets warmer and warmer too whereas it doesn't do that with the acer charger.

I checked with my official charger and that charger has the exact same output and Amps.

Oh well ... it was only 7 bucks. I'll see what somebody else has to say about this charger or one of the other chargers before I decide to return it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  9. Don1

Your edited comments were my worry. I ordered one but was concerned that I saw no mention of the many different types of safety protocols like CE, FCC or RoHS. It's probably ok if you are around to unplug it when it reaches 100% but not something you would want to use overnight.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  10. Diogenes5

It has CE and FCC marked on the charger. It, however, does not have RoHS.