Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 S

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by sonichedgehog360, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WyattERP

WyattERP Pen Pal - Newbie

Why can't we compare? These are all complete knock-offs of the SP design.

We all know the SP4 is a more expensive device and is likely "over priced" considering it's new found competitors. Also, Microcenter is great...if you live near a store. But $900 is hyperbole...

Also - no pro review says the SP4 is duller. They all remark it for it's 390 nits of brightness...The ACER rings in around 328 max.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the fan part though - that is absolutely stellar and desirable. I hate all fans with a passion on any computer.

Not sure I agree completely as there are many use cases for a device that aren't about raw start to finish endurance. I prefer a device with great standby that may get used on and off each evening over the course of multiple days. The 7+ hours with a SP4, combined with great standby (assuming prior bugs have been worked out with connected standby) are pretty desirable for me. I have no data on this use case for the Acer though. Of course, none of these windows designs beat an iPad for this.

2. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

I pretty much disagree with everything you said but that's what makes the world go around.

Anyway this says the Acer is 432 nits and the SP4 is 382 and I have read others that pretty much say the same, so what?

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/acer-switch-alpha-12

3. Diogenes5

Diogenes5 Pen Pal - Newbie

You're engaging in a lot of apples to oranges comparisons which is irritating. First you say there's only a $100 price differential between the SP4 Pro and the Switch when in fact the M3 is a huge downgrade in performance not to mention that Microsoft doesn't offer anything more than 4gb of ram as an option with an m3 or 128gb of SSD space. It may be true that you don't care about those things, but that's only you. 4gb shouldn't even be an option in this day and age, it's a totally outdated spec. And 128gb on Windows is a nightmare IMO. Micromanaging it is such a chore and if you are a serious professional, it's likely one of your main programs will eat most of that space up. It's a huge bump in quality of life to have 256gb instead of 128. There's a big reason why Apple included 8gb ram and 256gb ssd in the baseline macbook 12; it was to cater to the demands of modern computing.

For the SAME specs, a Surface Pro 4 is over $500 more expensive than an Acer Switch Alpha 12 and is still significantly more expensive when it goes on sale for $200-300 off.

As for brightness, what most people care about is usefulness. The Acer Switch Alpha is still usable in daylight at 0-10%. It's a little hard to see if you're in the hot texas sun but in lighted rooms which is 95%+ of most people's usage it is useful. If you want more dimness at night, you can get a software program to dim the screen even more. IPS as a technology is pretty terrible for night-time use because of the always-on backlight. The blue light will wreck your circadian cycle. This is a big draw of oled devices that have no backlight.

I am not sure why the Acer Switch lags a little in battery life. I'm assuming their wifi chip must be inefficient or something. The components are very similar to Microsoft's in spec if not brand. At any rate, you can get 6-6.5 hours by tweaking power settings and an hour or more above that if you use airplane mode. That's plenty for me. Yes, I lower the processor boost to achieve the extra battery life. On the run, I would rather have m3 performance, but when plugged in or at home, I'd rather have i5 performance. It is strictly better for me and I think for 95%+ of users to have the option which we would not have if we owned an m3. Do you want to play league of legends in your cafeteria or something? Even if you needed the extra power, you can easily change your power profile anyways with a touch of the important.

What's also important for me is that you can carry around a small usb-c charger for the acer switch alpha 12. The standard one that Microsoft and Acer uses is simply too bulky and obnoxious for me. I am hoping that 45W usb-c spec portable batteries become available at a reasonable price this fall so I won't have to worry about battery life at all.

4. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am pretty optimistic that the Switch Alpha 12 uses spec-compliant USB-Power Delivery, but as I wrote I haven't tested/investigated it in detail. I am at IFA this week so I will try to get some definite answer from Acer there.
    it doesn't matter if you would use an USB-C charger with even higher power output. The Switch Alpha 12 will always decide how fast it wants to be charged and the charger will then deliver the amount of power that the Switch Alpha 12 wants.
    For the long-term battery health it wouldn't matter at all which kind of charger you use.

5. WyattERP

You disagree with EVERYTHING I said?

I said I loved the fanless design - so we agree there

I'm not knocking the Acer for it's display - just thought describing the SP4 as "duller" is a weird to describe an amazing screen - partial agreement

I agree the SP4 is overpriced - but $900 is exaggeration - partial agreement

I'm still confused why you think we "can't compare" the Acer to the Surface Pro - that just makes no sense

Also - are you saying you disagree that I want to use my device over the course of multiple days as opposed to raw start to finish endurance without charging? I guess I don't know how you can disagree with that statement - it's just a different use case.

So of the 5 points made - I assess us as generally agreeing on about 3 of them with some differences.

I guess I don't get the full defensive posture here. This is a tough choice, I have both the ACER and SP4 arriving in the mail today and I'm trying to make a choice.

6. WyattERP

Well, if you are a "power user" you could also compare the ACER with an i5 to the i5/4/128 SP4 - which is currently about $889 (w/keyboard) on Amazon ($849 on Newegg). I've done my full pricing research. (Sept 2016) Perhaps MS is responding to this pricing pressure from HP, Lenovo, Samsung, and ACER - it's awesome competition. Up until the last few days, I would agree with you that the price delta was so high these comparisons shouldn't be made, but right now the discounts on SP4 make this comparison fair game.

The 25% performance delta is not a "huge downgrade". For many that's could be a reasonable trade-off for a potentially better device. I'm basing my argument across assessing every spec in the device, not just raw processing speed. But there's no doubt the ACER is hella impressive - that's why I have it on order.

You assert 95% of people would prefer to "have processing power at the touch of a button" - and it's funny, because I would assert 95% of your average consumer is just fine with the M3 chip and wouldn't be any wiser. Most folks have no desire to mess with power user settings in windows.

"I am not sure why the Acer Switch lags a little in battery life." - I told you why this is happening - the processor runs 7.4 watts min to 29 watts high - all the other Surface like variants cap out their processors in the 20 watt range. Acer can fix this by trading some top end performance and also by updating the BIOS to utilize the ULV states on the CPU. Dell made the same mistake when they launched the XPS13 9350 last year. What gives me pause about the Acer is they shouldn't be making this mistake this late in the Skylake generation.

Will ACER improve this? I don't know, but if they are about 10-12 months behind the industry with understanding Skylake - then I'm not sure I want to go through a year of beta testing for them. I actually returned a SP4 a year ago because of these same teething problems. Now is a better time to get on the Surface train because they've finally started to update firmware and BIOS to make it a reliable device.

It's funny you mention the USB-C charger - I'm in the same boat - although not sure how many good quality reliable chargers are out yet. I see some in the $25-$30 range that offer about 29 watts. The SP4 M3 charger is smaller than the i5 charger - and pretty compact already. So when I start to add in a pen and a better charger with a USB-C cable to the ACER, the price differences start to melt away, although those are optional. But I know I would do this - I'd probably even buy a 60 dollar RAVPower battery pack to charge the ACER. I badly want USB-C to be the standard, but this transition period has been incredibly awkward. With the recent Galaxy Note 7 exploding batteries - its just one more example of how badly the USB-C PD spec is being enforced by cheap chinese manufacturers dumping cables and chargers on Amazon.

7. Diogenes5

Diogenes5 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, you just pulled the same ******** again. You compared the sale price of an SP4 that ISN'T EVEN COMPARABLE. The SP4 you mentioned only has 4gb of ram and a 128gb SSD. I hope the moderators ban you. You are clearly just dumb or a bad viral marketer. This level of stupidity is incomprehensible.

8. WyattERP

NERD RAGE ALERT!

Wow - you are one angsty mother flapper! There is nothing bannable or moderator worthy about my comparison. Get a grip - holy cow! I tried to have a reasonable discussion about the Acer, and point out the power management issue and how Acer could improve it. You can't just "yell" from your keyboard that "you can't compare these" and get to declare the rules of this forum. What's next, I can't talk about the Spectre X2 either? How about the Lenovo Miix 700 or 510?

All I've gotten from two of you is angsty anger. Sounds like a disgruntled IT worker who doesn't get enough sunlight. Thanks for ensuring others who would come here to read up and discuss the Acer over it's elder (the Surface Pro 4) will read your stupidity and angst and be driven away by it.

I have literally purchased both and and thinking about and discussing both in an attempt to have a reasonable discourse on the plus/minus.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    FZelle likes this.
  9. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

well, ok so i exaggerated the 900 really isn't though..I believe the i5/8/256 SP4 is still being sold at full price which would be 1428 with a KB and the same alpha 12 can be bought for 500. Anyway, discussion is always good.

10. Shutterfly

Shutterfly Pen Pal - Newbie

Now I can confirm the 45w Targus USB-C charger does work with SA12. I am still debating whether I want to return it-- first the price is hefty-- $63 at staples, second the sub-c cable is not detachable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.